My E.P. 'Unfinity' to be Released 7/7/13!

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^Without sounding like I'm arguing with you, I've done al lot of the above and there isn't really an 'everyone' that's talking about it, only two people have mentioned it so far, and the other guy in this thread just said 'he doesn't like it', you're the only one calling it 'bad' from my perspective :)

It's actually the case that an overwhelming amount of people have complimented my drum sound and mix, so I have to take a measured approach to people's opinions. I do look into this stuff when you bring it up but I purely don't have the resources to detect what you're referring to, and with only one person contacting me directly saying such a thing it's difficult to get to the bottom of it. EDIT: Just checked out Reddit, 2 people have said it's bad, ah well :shrug:

I've played this in a few other small studios, various expensive headphones and even cars and I'm happy with the sound translation in general, it's not perfect, far from in fact, but I'm happy. Particularly given my limited resources, a computer, a room, some monitors; I only got my first DAW 18 months ago and I'd never touched any kind of music production before that, I'm not a pro, no education, no studio. I also gave the writing priority here; the whole time I'm gunna give my music away from free (which bandcamp charge you to do believe it or not) I have to stick with the resources I have and given my limited experience, lack of education and only one or two people in close proximity to give me a second opinion, the fact that the music I worked hard and thought a lot about to write is in any audible mix that works even vaguely well is great for now. I don't market myself as a producer, it's just one of those things I have to do these days to get my music in people's ears :)

To clarify again, I'm not brushing off what you're saying or ignoring you, I continue to actively look into getting a clearer and clearer perspective for mixing. The mix for this was done months ago, my equipment, ears and knowledge has improved exponentially since then but it would have been too major a task to start this project again. Maybe my next offering will be more to your standard :)

I apologise for this turning into an essay, I just wanted to give my thoughts and reasoning because I really want people to give me opinions like this, I need to know this stuff and actively seek it out, at the same time I don't want it to look like I'm stubbornly saying 'I did it like that for a reason' just to brush off some criticism :lol:

Thanks again, keep listening and keep it coming. Maybe PM me and we can talk in more detail.

It's awesome that you posted this on reddit btw! And I've never heard of that so I'm gunna have to look it up now for sure hahaha

Another EDIT: In case I didn't use enough smiley faces in that post, here are some more :) :) :) :) :) :)

:rofl: I need to get out of that habit.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HANIAK

Reaction score
I'm enjoying what I'm listening a lot. I really dig the Animals As Leaders vs Muse thing you got going on.
Mixwise, it translates the music well and has it's own vibe. It's not a perfect mix, but it has feeling, which in my opinion is much better than a perfect soulless mix.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^Thanks a lot man! It's weird, Muse is one of those bands I haven't listened to in years but them (and dredg too) have always had a lasting impression on me. Hilarious how many people are mentioning them because in the demos for my next EP/Album there are a few riffs which literally a week ago I thought 'hmmmm, does this sound too much like Muse?'.

Crazy.

Also, just checked out that /r/djent post, who posted that? 'mind blowingly good' :wub:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I struggle to think of a vocalist that could compliment this release! Maybe another

lawizeg

Reaction score
Showed a few friends this, they dig. :agreed:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^Great! Thanks man!

As for Vocalist, I don't know about this particular piece but I'd love to work with a vocalist at some point, I'm yet to meet a good one that'd suit my work though :/

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
^Great! Thanks man!

As for Vocalist, I don't know about this particular piece but I'd love to work with a vocalist at some point, I'm yet to meet a good one that'd suit my work though :/

Some tracks could really use the Tesseract-ish cleans.
I dig it though.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Just bought it. Really enjoying it! I'm reminded of Ocean Machine: Biomech a little bit. Looking forward to hearing whatever you come up with next!

Also, I wanted your Regius. Goddamn dude.

Bouvre

Guitarist of The Faceless
Reaction score
Really interesting progressions throughout the EP! digging it. the snare is a little too prominent and sucks out alot of the dynamics with the compression. Other than that it sounds great man!

lawizeg

Reaction score
Really interesting progressions throughout the EP! digging it. the snare is a little too prominent and sucks out alot of the dynamics with the compression. Other than that it sounds great man!

I LOVE the prominent snare, although I see where you're coming from.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score

Interesting, most people say the opposite; I fully expected this though haha.

Thanks for taking the time dude :D

And all of you in fact, this has had a pretty amazing reception, I'm speechless tbh! Can't wait to get on with the next one now!

EDIT: Just saw the comment above this one, me too! I think a well done snare deserves a bit of snare. I'm not saying mine's well done as such but it does sound exactly how I wanted, in a well separated listening environment like a Hi Fi or just some decent monitors, from my experience thus far is just happily occupies the middle channel without interfering too much.

I think this is just one of those things people will say about my mixes tbh :shrug:

Hopefully people won't hold my production against me though, I like the think the writing's the important thing :)

Lianoroto

Reaction score
I think everything has been said already, so I am just going to leave this:

Yes.

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Still been listening to this on a daily basis and I'm picking up new things each listen :)

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
This is without a doubt one of my favorite releases of recent times. Nick you did an amazing job with every single part of this record!

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I love this EP for a few reasons.

first off, yay for low tuned 7's and 8's that isnt chugging! :D

but also its really interesting because for the most part the music is "simple" but so incredibly musical. Its very "real" if that makes sense

also this last bit plays into #2 a little too but I love how a whole it sets a mood without setting up a huge atmosphere and taking like 10 minutes to do it. the songs just have that mood that isnt particularly angry happy or sad but "real"

You and Plini have set a new standard this year alone for the homegrown EP's thats also churning out some really great songs! :)

Latest posts

')