My entry for Dream Theater - "Lost Not Forgotten Video Contest"

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hi

I decided to enter the contest after finding out about it 10 days too late! I thought this would be a fun project to try out and I underestimated the effort for a 10 min video !! The renderings took the majority of the time while I had to sit and wait .... :squint:

Anyhow, here it is. If you like it, please stop by and hit the "Like" button and leave a comment :cool:

Thanks !! :metal:

Description:
This is my entry for the Dream Theater video contest. Since it's to be displayed in the background, I thought 3D Fractal Renderings would be an interesting backdrop. I've rendered 4 fractal animations here and coupled them with some Dream Theater footage from the latest lineup. It was hard to find good quality videos of that. So I used what I could find.

I've tried to sync the animations with the tempo, I've also tried to sync the band with the backing music where possible.

I put a little thought into the theme as well. The first part starts out with a dreamy fractal, slowly moving with a glow, which is what the intro sounds like, to me. The fractal move faster once the song kicks in. During the crazy Keyboard Solo, I let the animation spin and go by by really fast. The second fractal has a Sand color theme that goes with the lyric. At the point when the 1st chorus kicks in, the fractal appears from apparently nowhere, which is my reference to "Lost not forgotten". The infinite series of fractals is a reference to the "Empire" in the lyric and the video also pans up to show a great fractal, a symbol for "Living among the Gods". The second verse mentions, "Streets are paved with Gold" just as the camera zooms out of the golden paths on the Blue fractal.

For the guitar solo section I used an unraveling fractal for the first half of the solo. The more bluesy solo part has Petrucci's guitar as its main focus. The keyboard solo has the crazy fractal in the beginning, fading into a new fractal, which has a rollercoaster kind of effect [at 8:45 the sound reminded me of video games and it brought this to mind]. And then it fades out just as "Lost not forgotten" is sung again.

The end is just a crescendo of all the fractals at high speeds ending with the unraveling fractal that ends with the still shot.

Hope you enjoyed it !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')