My entry for Ola Englund's Feared Song

• Thread starter NickShredScott
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

geoffshreds

Reaction score
Hey guys. My name is Nick Scott, I am Joey Sturgis' full time Audio engineer, but I also Mix and master as a second full time gig! Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/nsstudios/feared-mix-final

damn man, thats probably the best one ive heard so far...im still working on mine. everyone seems to be doing the straightforward mix approach..i think im gonna add some tracks of my own. i liked the vocal effects on this...and the bass tone was killer!! may i ask what you used on the bass?

NickShredScott

wtf is dis
Reaction score
damn man, thats probably the best one ive heard so far...im still working on mine. everyone seems to be doing the straightforward mix approach..i think im gonna add some tracks of my own. i liked the vocal effects on this...and the bass tone was killer!! may i ask what you used on the bass?

Thanks!

Yeah I noticed everyone was going straight forward (Some sounded like they just loaded up tracks and moved faders). I always like to enhance audio, but something appropriate to embellish the overall aesthetics of a song.

I always make duplicates of my bass, 3 or 4 tracks of it, and treat them all different. For instance:

Grit hi (Very distorted, 4 Khz and up)

Grit med (Good clank, right around the 800-2khz range)

DI (I will first eq the di so it fits the song well, usually a bass roll off of some sort, and compressed to fuck)

Low (Hi end roll off, only focuses on the low end, VERY compressed, sometimes I use waves bassrider on this track to maintain a very even low end)

I used 4 for this particular track, but instead of "low" bass track, it was more of a "Sub low" track, and the DI held most of the low mid growl. :)

geoffshreds

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah I noticed everyone was going straight forward (Some sounded like they just loaded up tracks and moved faders). I always like to enhance audio, but something appropriate to embellish the overall aesthetics of a song.

I always make duplicates of my bass, 3 or 4 tracks of it, and treat them all different. For instance:

Grit hi (Very distorted, 4 Khz and up)

Grit med (Good clank, right around the 800-2khz range)

DI (I will first eq the di so it fits the song well, usually a bass roll off of some sort, and compressed to fuck)

Low (Hi end roll off, only focuses on the low end, VERY compressed, sometimes I use waves bassrider on this track to maintain a very even low end)

I used 4 for this particular track, but instead of "low" bass track, it was more of a "Sub low" track, and the DI held most of the low mid growl. :)

lol yeah, i figured there was quite a bit of work to it. definitely gonna have to experiment with your method!

NickShredScott

wtf is dis
Reaction score
lol yeah, i figured there was quite a bit of work to it. definitely gonna have to experiment with your method!

I find this technique very valuable when you want a 'larger than life' mix sound.. If I wanted a more traditional mix, I would more than likely just reamp through an ampeg

geoffshreds

Reaction score
yeah man, i dont have a bassrider, so i used a vocal rider and some heavy compression to get the same effect on the low end.. i think just 2 tracks is fine for me...4 is overdoing it for me lol...but you definitely achieved the 'larger than life tone'. im jealous of that bass tone! ha. ill post my mix soon

manana

Reaction score
Holy shit dude I was not expecting this.. The mix is pristine! Do you think you could share a little sample of just a guitar track so I can shamelessly try to recreate your sound?

jsaudio

Reaction score
Hey Nick, the mix is solid, but i am gonna try to hit the things i thing need work from a non-biased perspective. I'll try to add constructive criticism by not letting my sound preference get in the way whenever possible.

1. The effects are sick for sure
2. the bass tone is really good except there is ALOT of bass build up and i think its drowning some stuff out, i think there is a bit too much subs in there.
3. The guitars dont really have defining mids and come off as a bit harsh
4. It sounds like its been smashed in the master, which gives it some power and energy but at the same time makes it sound like it has a small stereo field and it sounds a tad mono.
5. The vocals just sound buried for the most part by other Freq
6. the overall Master eq doesnt sound very balanced to me.

These were the things i noticed without trying to let personal preference get in the way regarding tones etc. This is however one of the better mixes i have heard. But i dont believe in giving constructive criticism unless i have evidence to back up what im saying with my own work and you obviously have some skill and experience, so here is my mix of this track i would def like your critical thoughts as well.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/theroomcoloredcharlatan/feared-posessed-final

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
Hey Nick, the mix is solid, but i am gonna try to hit the things i thing need work from a non-biased perspective. I'll try to add constructive criticism by not letting my sound preference get in the way whenever possible.

2. the bass tone is really good except there is ALOT of bass build up and i think its drowning some stuff out, i think there is a bit too much subs in there.
4. It sounds like its been smashed in the master, which gives it some power and energy but at the same time makes it sound like it has a small stereo field and it sounds a tad mono.

These were the things i noticed without trying to let personal preference get in the way regarding tones etc. This is however one of the better mixes i have heard. But i dont believe in giving constructive criticism unless i have evidence to back up what im saying with my own work and you obviously have some skill and experience, so here is my mix of this track i would def like your critical thoughts as well.

Thanks

Bold move. I personally like Nick's better... I see what you mean with the bass and the master bus on his, but with yours the guitar tone sounded like it had too much mids for me, and I couldn't stop concentrating on the snare and it took away from the whole listening experience. Both mixes are very good, but from a personal perspective I think Nick's is cleaner as a whole.

jsaudio

Reaction score
Bold move. I personally like Nick's better... I see what you mean with the bass and the master bus on his, but with yours the guitar tone sounded like it had too much mids for me, and I couldn't stop concentrating on the snare and it took away from the whole listening experience. Both mixes are very good, but from a personal perspective I think Nick's is cleaner as a whole.

I admit nicks is more organic sounding in many ways, than my mix, i dont mean to do comparison, but my mix is obviously based on my personal preference, and most "professional level mixes" obviously a subjective term, but as a reference joey sturgis mixes, brian hood mixes, and guys similar put out stuff that is (in my opinion) much more balanced overall than nicks mix here. I tried to aim for more balance in mine, but i reference my mixes to more of brian hoods stuff like the gideon records i think they are killer. I would say dont try to compare mine and nicks mixes side by side, try to compare them to professional level mixes put out by guys like sturgis, hood, zuess and others which i think gives more accurate perspective on how things should sound

Edit: my master eq has just a TAD more high end boost around the 12-16k region therefore i think it is making the snare poke out a bit as mentioned

NickShredScott

wtf is dis
Reaction score
I admit nicks is more organic sounding in many ways, than my mix, i dont mean to do comparison, but my mix is obviously based on my personal preference, and most "professional level mixes" obviously a subjective term, but as a reference joey sturgis mixes, brian hood mixes, and guys similar put out stuff that is (in my opinion) much more balanced overall than nicks mix here. I tried to aim for more balance in mine, but i reference my mixes to more of brian hoods stuff like the gideon records i think they are killer. I would say dont try to compare mine and nicks mixes side by side, try to compare them to professional level mixes put out by guys like sturgis, hood, zuess and others which i think gives more accurate perspective on how things should sound

Edit: my master eq has just a TAD more high end boost around the 12-16k region therefore i think it is making the snare poke out a bit as mentioned

I feel ya. I wasn't going for a 'traditional' sound at all, and I find Brian Hood's mixes quite bland. For this I really wanted to HYPE everything up and make it sound larger than life and focus on it sounding like one giant rather than a few little giants. Smooshed, heavy, and dirty. I also mixed the Danza Album like this. It was more about scaring people with extreme sounding sonics rather than a balanced mix. I like that just as much as the other guy. For instance, Gojira "The Way of All Flesh" is one of my favorite mixes because it's so balanced! :)

jsaudio

Reaction score
Word, i see exactly what your trying to accomplish for sure, I added you on FB as well Nick would love to chat some man

I love most of Hoods mixes i just think his tones are so balanced and heavy. I TOTALLY understand where your coming from for that Hyped sound that def is an attention grabber and makes a mix unique but i just can justify giving a hyped mix over something glued and balanced.

NickShredScott

wtf is dis
Reaction score
Word, i see exactly what your trying to accomplish for sure, I added you on FB as well Nick would love to chat some man

I love most of Hoods mixes i just think his tones are so balanced and heavy. I TOTALLY understand where your coming from for that Hyped sound that def is an attention grabber and makes a mix unique but i just can justify giving a hyped mix over something glued and balanced.

Totes!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Hey, man! This is a great sounding mix! My big gripe with it is that it seems to sound like it's a little too smashed on the master. I can hear transients getting smashed and its giving the mix a weird feeling and I think is taking away from how huge the actual mix could sound!

C4C? http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...mpetition-progress-looking-some-feedback.html

My first time working on a mixing competition, drums from a mic'd source and vocals :D
Having a blast working on this song. Definitely learned a TON already! Would really love to get some advice from anyone willing to listen :D

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score

Thanks

Sounds pretty good. I think the low-end could use more oopmh. I feel like the highs are a tad harsh as well.

NickShredScott

wtf is dis
Reaction score
Hey, man! This is a great sounding mix! My big gripe with it is that it seems to sound like it's a little too smashed on the master. I can hear transients getting smashed and its giving the mix a weird feeling and I think is taking away from how huge the actual mix could sound!

C4C? http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...mpetition-progress-looking-some-feedback.html

My first time working on a mixing competition, drums from a mic'd source and vocals :D
Having a blast working on this song. Definitely learned a TON already! Would really love to get some advice from anyone willing to listen :D

Thanks homie.

That's one thing I did on purpose, was to smash this shit.. I did it because I heard a bunch of mixes that were very stale and uninspired, and I love a good slammin 2bus haha.. I did the same thing on the Danza album! Woohoo!:hbang::metal:

Vanzeplica

Reaction score
Sounds Huuuuuge! :hbang: Bass could definitely use more compression and guitar could use a small boost at around 1600 hz

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Thanks homie.

That's one thing I did on purpose, was to smash this shit.. I did it because I heard a bunch of mixes that were very stale and uninspired, and I love a good slammin 2bus haha.. I did the same thing on the Danza album! Woohoo!:hbang::metal:

Sweet. If that's your intent than that mix sounds pretty awesome :D

Here's my latest attempt if anyone wants to check it out: https://soundcloud.com/axxessdenied/feared-possessed-mix-attempt-5

guitars could come down a bit and vocals a bit up but i think i'm coming along pretty good for a n00b :D

edit: made some adjustments and replaced the link...

')