My first 7 - Schecter Jeff Loomis NT vs. LTD H1007

Schecter Jeff Loomis vs. ESP LTD H1007

• Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (Black Satin - Fixed Bridge)

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • ESP LTD H1007 (See Through Black - Fixed Bridge)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Chug Chug

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to 7-strings here!
I'm about to purchase my first 7!!! YAY! :lol:
So I need your opinions. Currently my final candidates are the following:

- Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (Satin black - fixed bridge)
- ESP LTD H1007 (See through black - fixed bridge)

The main differences are the following that really don't matter much to me:

- 26.5 inch scale length (Jeff) vs. 25.5 (LTD)
- Slightly thicker neck (Jeff) vs. slightly thinner neck (LTD)
- On the bridge: EMG 707 (Jeff) vs. EMG 81-7 (LTD)
- About $100 price difference

I haven't played any of these guitars before, and there aren't any music shops in the area I live that have any of these models to test drive.
I play metal. Mostly death, progressive riffs, and some blackened death. :shred:

Could you please tell me which one you would choose? I'm sure everyone here is obviously more experienced with 7's than I am.

Cheers. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Get the loomis! its a sweet axe and I don't regret buying it.

Its quite easy to get adjusted to the thicker neck and the 26.5 inch scale does wonders for lower tunings (if thats your jam) and it still keeps e standard well.

5thFaceOfBrahma

Reaction score
Haven't played the LTD, but the Loomis is a great guitar, I'd buy it again any day. The EMG81-7 could give you a tad more clarity. If you tune down, the 26.5" scale is the way to go imho. I think you can't go wrong with either of them though.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I really didn't like the Loomis I tried, at all. I feel like the H1007 would be the nicer guitar, the Deluxe LTDs are really good guitars. The longer scale of the Loomis would help with tuning down, of course. I can tune my 25.5" RGs down to dropped G# with no problem, though.

BeeG

Reaction score
Well the thing that would turn me off of the Loomis is those horrendous inlays and the way most schecter necks make me feel like I'm playing a baseball bat with strings.

Personal preferences, of course. I'm sure you'll be happy either way you go.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Both guitars are great. Even if you don't like the 81-7 in the bridge of the LTD you can swap it with the 707 in the neck if u prefer so in that department you have more versatility with the LTD. The LTD is going to be quite a bit lighter than the Schecter as well (so if you like light guitars LTD is your best bet, or if you like heavy guitars Schecter is way to go).

Either option you decide is a good one. Let us know!

Pyrocario

Reaction score
I've got the H1007 and I can only speak praise of it. I really like it. Schecter necks are just too uncomfortable for me and the pickups in the LTD sounded better to me.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
I had the h1007 Floyd version and it was an outstanding guitar. Played a few schecter loomis' and could never get used to it, but im not a schecter fan in general so to each their own.

Chug Chug

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for nice advice and feedback here. :yesway: :agreed:
I get the impression that most people here are leaning towards the Jeff Loomis Schecter. However there are a few things about it that make me want the LTD, and the LTD isn't the ultimate guitar either. I'd like to know your opinions on a few points I have outlined here please. :cool:

- I have no idea of how the fatter neck on the Schecter can be uncomfortable to me, as I have never played one; and I think this is really an objective thing when choosing the guitar. So the best feedback here could come from someone who has experience playing both instruments, or the majority of people's opinions here. :spock:

- I really like the EMG 81-7 on the LTD since it will give me tighter bottom for riffs and heavy chugging :hbang: since I really rarely play solos and that's why I chose to get the fixed bridge version of them. I've heard the EMG 707 on the Loomis in combination with the wood (Ash + Maple) creates too much brightness, and I'm not sure whether that would be an appealing fact to a death metal rhythm player. :scratch:

- I am aware that a longer scale can give me more versatility in terms of down tuning, and I can get used to it pretty quickly since I've been playing Bass for 4 years now; so that's not an issue. :wavey:

- I really like the finish on Loomis :lol: oh I love satin finish! And the satin finish on the back of the neck lets you play faster along the neck (in comparison to gloss finishes on LTD that create that kind of sticky feeling). But again the looks on the LTD are so badass, that makes deciding even harder. :rolleyes:

- Some people just don't like the fact that the Loomis is a signature guitar. But from personal experience I can say that on LTD guitars the signature models have slightly better quality and character to them than the LTD 1000 series (for example comparing LTD Truckster James Hetfield Signature with an LTD EC1000). I'd like to know your thoughts on this point, and I'm open to any idea; please tell me if I'm wrong on this one.

- Well it's a really difficult decision to make. So finally, will I get more by paying about $100 more for the Schecter? or is the price difference just because of his name on the guitar?

Thank you all again!
Keep chugging! :shred: :hbang: :metal:

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I played both guitars, it's a very personal choice that only you can make. It comes down to pickup, neck profile, scale, and woods. Since the pickup can be replaced I would just look at the other specs that cannot be changed. The overall quality and playability is the same.

From personal experience I can say that on LTD guitars the signature models have slightly better quality and character to them than the LTD 1000 series (...). I'd like to know your thoughts on this point, and I'm open to any idea; please tell me if I'm wrong on this one.

I thought I was the only one who noticed, because most people go by the numbers and think 1000 > 600 so it must be better. This is simply not true.

Build quality aside, when it comes to features, the signature series may have something you won't find on a regular model. If you think "I like this, but I wish it had ......" Then there's a fair chance there's a 600 series with just that. That's how I found my EC model with maple neckthrough (WA-600) :hbang:.

Recently I got a great deal on 12 LTD guitars, which I sold on for the largest part. So I could compare these guitars for workmanship, setup and get an decent picture of the consistency.

3 LTD KH-602's and 4 LTD MFA-600's all came with a near flawless setup right out of the box. In terms of playability the MFA's are simply awesome for the money, but clearly not as good as a real ESP.

The KH's are, all three, damn close to my ESP Forest that was handbuilt by ESP Tech House when it came to playabiltity. The fretwork on these is also really good. One of the three is so good that I will probably not let it go for as long as I live.

Mike

Reaction score
Deluxe LTD's all the way. I have two and they're my favorite guitars to date. For me, I cannot deal with Schecter setups. It honestly slows me down. Get the H-1007

BeeG

Reaction score
I currently own 2 deluxe LTD's, including the H-1001. I've owned and sold 2 Schecter 7-strings. As far as having a satin neck, I agree that it feels really nice and it's my personal preference with all guitars. That being said, I have 3 guitars with a painted finish, and 3 guitars with satin/tung oiled necks. People make it seem like playing on a painted neck is like running your hand down a frickin piece of duck tape. I switch between my guitars a ton while recording and I don't even notice the back of the neck. I'd pick the LTD over the Schecter, and buy a hardshell case with the 100$ you save.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
But from personal experience I can say that on LTD guitars the signature models have slightly better quality and character to them than the LTD 1000 series (for example comparing LTD Truckster James Hetfield Signature with an LTD EC1000). I'd like to know your thoughts on this point, and I'm open to any idea; please tell me if I'm wrong on this one.
My experience is the opposite. My SC-607 was a disappointment in quality, especially the hardware, while most Deluxe LTDs I have played were really nice guitars.

Reet

Reaction score
Thread revival!!! Lol

Im torn between the same two guitars man.. Im in a similar situation. No stores in my location have either guitar. I did however play a mh-417 and i thought it was pretty legit. The only thing was the neck felt a little to thin to me. Which is weird because i play a mh-1000 as my main guitar. But to me the 417 felt wider and thinner.

So which one did you end up getting, and what do you think of it??

jsl2h90

Reaction score
The weirdest thing about my relationship with schecters i've played is that the Loomis model is the only one that feels like quality to me. And for under a grand it's a steal. I ended up selling mine to fund the transition to 8 strings. The neck is quite a bit thicker than my RG2228 but I remember that I rather liked it. It doesn't feel like a baseball bat but it's not exactly thin either. And lastly the 707's sound great imho, once again it's one of those weird things I dislike active pickups but the 707's really sound great in that guitar. It's gotta be the wood combination. I always take the time to recommend the C7FR when I get the chance, I think you're missing out by not going with the floyd rose unless you're strictly a rhythm player.

Reet

Reaction score
Honestly i can look at pictures and read specs online all day. I just need to save up and make the drive and find these and play them for myself. Im sure my hands and ears will make the decision for me.

')