My first 7. Which one?

• Thread starter Promit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been playing for a good several years now and I'd really like to try a 7-string. Trouble is, I'm not sure what I should pick. Budget is $400, absolute unbreakable max. I'd prefer to be closer to $300. Obviously this is a fairly tight amount of money to work with.

Right now I play a Fender Strat (Standard MIM HSS) and a Dean Vendetta. Both are heavily modified. All new hardware, electronics, etc and proper dressing and setup. They feel much better than their price point, and that's what I'm used to. Normally I'd buy something cheap and rebuild it, but the lack of readily available cheap parts for 7-stringers from places like GuitarFetish is a problem. So this time around I'm leaning towards something that is acceptable out of the box. I'd prefer 25.5" and a translucent non-black finish.

I'm also not too familiar with the inexpensive options. I tried an RG and the Schecter in GC and both feel fine to me, although the RG seems to fit into my hand just a bit better. Probably I could get one of these used from GC for not a lot of money, but not locally so I'd have to buy it a bit blind. I'm also looking at the Rondo/Agile options that look fairly nice (but are mostly 27"). Locally on CL (Baltimore) I'm having trouble finding anything at all.

Hopefully that made some kind of sense. TL;DR -> $300-400, 25.5", not black.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Uhhhhh. I think there's a few 7 stringers in the classifieds here for that price range.
It'd be hard to find a non-black 7 string that didn't suck in that range that wasn't used, though.

Could try Agile, at Rondo Music Home Page. They've got a pretty big selection of 7 and 8 strings.

Ibanez RG7321 and RG7421 are about the only Ibanez 7 strings in that range though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BaDaML

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but...I wouldn't be so picky on the color, especially being on such a tight budget. Nice paint costs money, and my experience has been that you may be able to find a nicer guitar in black that costs less than a not as nice guitar with a different finish.

Also, I have played Ibanez for many many years lol. I currently have an S series 7 string, replaced the pickups and I was quite happy with it. I got a Schecter 7 from my bassist at a good price. EMG pickups which I always disliked. After playing it for a bit, I now prefer the Schecter, and also the EMG's.

I know there is some Schecter haters lol, but I have been playing for a long time and remember when Schecter had a great reputation.

Be patient, and wait for the right deal, they are there. I paid $300 for the S with case, and the same for the Schecter. Both were in ike new condition, including the fret wear.

bradthelegend

ESP Fanboy
Reaction score
Bolt-on or neck-thru? Fixed bridge or Floyd?

First thing that comes to mind is a used ESP LTD H-207. They come in transparent finishes: green and red, and of course black. If you're lucky, you can probably even find an H-307 in your price range. :yesway:

Promit

Reaction score
Oh -- fixed. Don't feel like dealing with floating trems these days. But I CAN set one up if I need to. Don't care about the neck style.

Agile's the only credible new option, I don't see picking up a new name brand as a reasonable decision. They have some nice finishes but of course the colors are 27" and the blacks are 25.5" :lol: Seems to be lots of Ibanez 7321s running around, are they decent? Looks like they're all black, so hooray for the hot topic crowd I guess.

I'm not dead set on any of the specs, really, but I'm also not in a hurry. It's worth waiting for the right thing, but I'm not even sure what I should be looking for or avoiding right now. I'm working through the classifieds here but it is kinda slow going since there's no "cheap seven strings only" option. That ESP looks nice though.

clopstyle

Reaction score
If you want color, definitely check out the H-207 or 307. I used to own one of each, great guitars for the money. If black is acceptable, I'd recommend a 7421 or 7621 if you can find one(or you always could refinish to color).

Check around for a bare bones Carvin as well. I have seen a few DC727s sell for around $400.

s2k9k

Reaction score
I would look into the new Ibanez Iron Label 7's.

Reaction score
Honestly though, I'd suggest saving another couple hundred dollars, unless you desperately need a 7 for a show or something.
Guitars are sorta like cars. More options show up the more money you have. Not only more, but better options. Different woods, better fret work and quality builds. Might even buy something new instead of used for a few hundred more. :2c:

BusinessMan

Reaction score
You can get a used ibanez arz307, rg7321, or you can get a new esp ltd m17. Schecter also has a starter 7 for around $200.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Try to find an Ibanez Rg7321FM, it's pretty much a 7321 with a trans red finish and maple veneer. 7321's are good for the price, especially if you get lucky and find one with good frets and a good, resonant body. I haven't played an Agile, so I can's say anything for those except that if you get a dud, they're good about returns and replacements.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
If you can find a used Ibanez RG 7420/7421 or 7620/7621 I would buy that over anything else. The main reason being the necks on these guitars are some of the best Ibanez has made. Assuming the body is intact, everything else can be fixed or changed!

Promit

Reaction score
Gave up on setting rules. Better to have a nice guitar than a crappy one that's the right color. So GC has an Ibanez 7620 listed, which is tempting. Gotta decide between that and Agile, probably.

acauseforpatric

Reaction score

First thing that comes to mind is a used ESP LTD H-207. They come in transparent finishes: green and red, and of course black. If you're lucky, you can probably even find an H-307 in your price range. :yesway:

I second this. My first 7 string was that exact guitar in what ESP claims is See Thru Black... however most days it looks brown but in the right light it looks almost like redwood.

I got it for $250 from GC but I have seen them on craigslist for as low as $175. I put new pickups in it, and added locking tuners and it's still under $500 and it is a killer guitar.

BeeG

Reaction score
I've got an RGA7 I'm trying to sell with the gig bag for 350, but I've never shipped a guitar and it's black :(

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
Gave up on setting rules. Better to have a nice guitar than a crappy one that's the right color. So GC has an Ibanez 7620 listed, which is tempting. Gotta decide between that and Agile, probably.

good luck with GC,be aware that they are having issues with their used gear section,every thing I`ve tried to buy there lately has been sold(a few for a long time) and they still haven`t updated their site:rant:

Handbanana

Reaction score
I got my elite 007 for 350 at guitar center. Just go browse. You'd be surprised what you can find.

')