My first all live recording (51/50/Vader cab)...my drummers other band "Izeovasis"

• Thread starter Slampop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
i wanted to see if i could use my production skills toward live recording. My drummer's other band "Izeovasis" had a new song they wanted to record, so i took all day wednesday to set up and record. my drummer and i ghetto rigged a bunch of random mic's to his drum's in our practice space and then their guitarist used my 51/50 block letter into his Vader cab for guitars...i loved the tone...might buy me a Vader now hahaha. they wanted a lot of low end in the recording and a veeery loud kick, so i gave them that :metal:. anywho, i'm really pleased how this came out for it being my first time doing live instruments, and with what we had to record with. let me know what you guys think!

Cheers! :pops:

A Thousand Times More "Izeovasis"
SoundClick artist: Idoler - Idoler, Metal, Music, Idoler is the artist name for Josh, vocalist for House of Atreus

pics!
ghetto drums!!!
0325091839.jpg

0325091840a.jpg

my shure 57 on the snare
0325091840.jpg

look carefully...that's my old guitar stand we duct taped to the mic stand that was holding the sm-57 over the snare. we then duct taped two shure sm 58's to the neck that was propped in between the toms hahaha!
0325092013.jpg

my 57 on the his Vader

Izeo's myspace
www.myspace.com/Izeovasis

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Kewl man. Good to hear people still do this! :p I'd say that it's all a bit over compressed though. The drums lack some punch and are a bit to shiny. The guitars are a bit harsh. Too much hiss in the gain and not enough body.

But, the balance is good. That's for sure. Just lack dynamics and body.

Slampop

Reaction score
Kewl man. Good to hear people still do this! :p I'd say that it's all a bit over compressed though. The drums lack some punch and are a bit to shiny. The guitars are a bit harsh. Too much hiss in the gain and not enough body.

But, the balance is good. That's for sure. Just lack dynamics and body.

whoa!...a comment, thanx for the feedback dude. i honestly didn't do much to this when u heard it...i was a bit eager to post. anyway, i went back and fixed the guitars so they were less fuzzy and had more body, bass drum should punch a bit harder now. thanx dude, let me know what you think of the new mix!!!

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Right on, man! The drums sound a LOT better. I'd bring the vocals down just a bit sense they don't really have tangible lyrics to them. The guitars, I'm afraid, just were recorded with tooo much gain on them. A good rule of thumb is record with HALF the gain you would use live and stack them twice as many as needed... That's a good way to get a great guitar tone. Everything else is solid. Just the guitars are to messy.

Keep at it brotha!

Slampop

Reaction score
thanx again for the second listen man, i appreciate it. personally, i like the gain of the guitars...it sounds pretty crispy imho, but i get what ur sayin. the gain was only at 3 actually on the head itself, but we were running my bbe max...might have been that ur hearing, but they like it, and that's what matters (it all comes down to preference). as for vox, he didn't even have the patterns down before we recorded, and he had just wrote the lyrics...this was kind of a pre-production recording before they record with someone good, hahaha.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Haha. Right on, man. And yeah. The BBE is what I'm not liking. I HATE what those do to guitars... But, it's taste I guess. If you guys want to record in a big "multi-thousand" dollar recording studio in Oklahoma, hit me up! Hahahahah.

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
this sounds fucking ace man! you always got such great mixes and im especially lovin this one

Slampop

Reaction score
thanx a lot for the kinds words guys, i'm really happy you dig the mix.

CynicEidolon- hahaha, thanx man, and if u ever want to record in a crappy rehearse space...let ME know. :yesway:

FourFour- first rodeo indeed my friend!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. :yesway:

Just curious, why do you put a slash in the middle of 5150?

Slampop

Reaction score
yaya, sevenstring is working again!

thanx dudes, i'm really happy with this recording, i plan on doing more live recordings more often, just gotta buy some better drum mics first. while we were in the practice space i had Derek (my drummer) also record the drum tracks for Apostle, which will be finished by the end of the month with vocals hopefully.

Tom- i have no clue, i didn't even know i was doing it really, it's probably because it's pronounced fifty-one-fifty as opposed to fifty one hundred fifty hahaha.

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
would you mind pm'n me the settings you used on your 5150?? im thinking of getting a L6 vetta II or maybe a 6505, so im quite curious to see what you used on your amp settings to get that djenty tone :lol:

Skaughtee

Reaction score
i wanted to see if i could use my production skills toward live recording. My drummer's other band "Izeovasis" had a new song they wanted to record, so i took all day wednesday to set up and record. my drummer and i ghetto rigged a bunch of random mic's to his drum's in our practice space and then their guitarist used my 51/50 block letter into his Vader cab for guitars...i loved the tone...might buy me a Vader now hahaha. they wanted a lot of low end in the recording and a veeery loud kick, so i gave them that :metal:. anywho, i'm really pleased how this came out for it being my first time doing live instruments, and with what we had to record with. let me know what you guys think!

Cheers! :pops:

A Thousand Times More "Izeovasis"
SoundClick artist: Idoler - Idoler, Metal, Music, Idoler is the artist name for Josh, vocalist for House of Atreus

Izeo's myspace
www.myspace.com/Izeovasis
You must practice at the Burro, cause I know Izeovasis does. Love your mixes by the way.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! You did a great job of capturing the 5150's tone!

I use different settings on mine - I can tell - but the overall 5150 vibe is there. Nice!

im thinking of getting a L6 vetta II or maybe a 6505, so im quite curious to see what you used on your amp settings to get that djenty tone :lol:

Usually if you put everything at 5 and tweak the mids to compliment whatever guitar you're using it's pretty easy to nail that tone. The 5150's are pretty easy to set up to sound good, and to get the tone you're after.

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
Usually if you put everything at 5 and tweak the mids to compliment whatever guitar you're using it's pretty easy to nail that tone. The 5150's are pretty easy to set up to sound good, and to get the tone you're after.
Sweet man, thanks for the response!

omgmjgg

WTFCAKES
Reaction score
i'm digging this! It sounds a lot like ion dissonance which isn't a bad thing :hbang::hbang: keep it up man

Slampop

Reaction score
Skaughtee- hahaha, nah man, they practice in Oakland now at my rehearse space there. Derek from Izeo joined up with my band (formerly House of Atreus), we've been friends with all those dudes forever. But i was playing guitar for Especially in the Mourning when i practiced at the Burro, we all shared with Dissipate i believe. The Burro has a sick little set up, especially for live shows, but the rooms are ridiculously overpriced imho. Good to hear from a local my man, and thankyou for the kind words.

Groff- i absolutely love the 5150's tone, i've had it for five years now, i had two of them but i ended up selling the sig. model to my old guitarist (should not have done that! hahaha). i'm probably gonna get a 6505 down the road, but i might get an Engl first seeing i already have the 5150. i was awesomely impressed with the Vader cab though, i must say! i have a marshall Mode four, and i love it too...but the Vader had a real nice scooped sound to it.

* to your response to Zak123, i agree bro, but i'm still gonna send you those settings...honestly almost everything is between 11-1 oclock with the gain at 3-4, then the BBE helps crispen things up a bit. Also, i cleaned up the tone post pro to djentify it a bit more.

omgmjgg- they will be VERY pleased to hear that seeing as how it's one of there favorite bands.

thanx again dudes

')