My first build

• Thread starter Themadcow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Themadcow

Reaction score
That is a beautiful arch man! As for screws, you can order some from StewMac if you want, they also have a 12 pack of ferrules that you can get too so that the screws are flush with the body:
STEWMAC.COM : Neck Mounting Ferrules
STEWMAC.COM : Neck Attachment Screw

Cool, I didn't think of that when I put my last order into all parts. I ordered fretwire, Knobs and some pots and jacks.

For my dad's guitar its gonna have a push/push pot. It's cool cause he will be able to switch pickups by pushing the volume knob...then switch again by pushing again. Mine is getting a push pull, but if the push/push works good, I might switch it out.

The only things I need to get now are pickups, bridges and tuning pegs. I have decided to go with chrome, I think it will look good on the walnut.

The best place to order pickups??? Ebay maybe, or is there somewhere cheap online? Also, what are everybody's favorite locking tuners? I was thinking Rotomatics, but I am open to suggestions. I am going with a Hipshot bridge for the eight string, but for my dad's I was looking at the hipshot piano bridge, again, not set in stone, I would love suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
That is the coolest. Grandpa is gettin' a guitar his son made by hand for him. Grandson already has his bright eye on Dad's guitar!

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Recognize that this is an archtop though, so it's actually losing a lot of material in the carving. Also, most of the guitars I've seen are around 1 3/4" thick, so if anything this should be a little lighter.

I have a maple and walnut 5 string, clocks in 12.5-13 lbs :lol:. (Heavy = tone ofcourse :hbang:)

Themadcow

Reaction score
About half way through 6 hour band practice I often found myself needing a sit down too:lol:

LOL I remember those days. I used to play a Les Paul on stage and by the end of a show or practice my neck and shoulder hurt a lot. Awesome sounding guitar though, Might have to make one of those :flame:

Themadcow

Reaction score
Alright, time for a small update. Carving necks is not something I have ever done, so I need a plan. Since I didn't have a plan, I improvised :)

viewer
IMG_1582.JPG

I bought a woodcarving chisel set from lee valley a couple
years ago, and this is the first time it's been used. I carved and smoothed the whole neck using just that knife. I did it while we watched house and castle last night. Not quite done but you get the idea

viewer
IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

viewer

Themadcow

Reaction score
Another update for you guys. Finally got around to getting my dad's glued up. Took some advice and rough cut the shape before glue up. Definitely help getting the clamps on. Didn't slide around as much.

IMG_1584.JPG

Now for a useful project for those looking to make use of their scraps, I made and 8" long 16 degree radius sanding block. First I laid it out on mdf and cut it on the band saw. Then I traced it 5 times on some leftovers from my rga8 body
IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

Voila!!! Now this is definitely not my idea. Again, google is your friend here. I don't remember where I got this idea from, but I think it's fantastic. Save yourself the cost of the stew mac blocks and build them yourself. Shipping is killer to edmonton here, and 1 block would cost me $40 if I ordered it online....free is always better:hbang:

Themadcow

Reaction score
Back to work, cut out the PRS body today, loving the walnut guitars.

IMG_1594.JPG

Also rough cut the neck

IMG_1592.JPG

Not sure I'm gonna want to give this one to my dad..............:realmad:

IMG_1601.JPG

Poor man's radius block turned out good.

And a final shot of the 2 guitars, not bad for a first build, hopefully when they are done they intonate.....

IMG_1600.JPG

Gonna have to decide on locking tuners soon I think. I am thinking sperzels but I would love your guys input.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Gonna have to be honest here... I like your dad's guitar a lot better :agreed:

About the tuners, I really like the look on those gotoh 510s. Hipshots maybe?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
That bookmatching with the walnut turned out really nice on both guitars! As far as locking tuners, I've only heard good things about Sperzels.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Gonna have to be honest here... I like your dad's guitar a lot better :agreed:

About the tuners, I really like the look on those gotoh 510s. Hipshots maybe?

Well you should, it's technically my second build, it should be twice as good:yesway:

Lol , I'm glad you like it, I just hope my old man loves.

Latest posts

')