My first build

• Thread starter Themadcow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Sounds like people like the sperzel's. Other than that I am also looking for brass inserts for my machine screws, to bolt the necks on. Tried the rona's and home depot's around and no luck. Any ideas from fellow canadians on a good supplier of machine bolts and accessories?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
This may be the worlds first wittled guitar neck. Nice job. The walnut tops looks great. I am in the boat of liking your dads body shape better also.

Not to be a complete smart-arse, but the overall gearing must take the diameter of the post into account. If you do the maths, you will discover an amusing coincidence.

:lol:

Sounds like more work than I would like to do, without calipers around and all. Relative rotation is more important here I would think, opposed to distance travelled as relative rotation gives you more control.

Themadcow

Reaction score
This may be the worlds first wittled guitar neck. Nice job. The walnut tops looks great. I am in the boat of liking your dads body shape better also.

Sounds like more work than I would like to do, without calipers around and all. Relative rotation is more important here I would think, opposed to distance travelled as relative rotation gives you more control.

Seems to be a bit of a trend starting on the body shape issue. I would just like to state for the record that the reason I even started building a guitar in the first place was that I wanted to buy an rga8. I couldn't afford it at the time so I am building one. I like the shape:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

That being said, the more my dad's starts to come together, the more I think my next build should be a prs for myself. Need to build a few more before I could think of selling one, so I might as well start building my own collection:lol:

jcgss77

Reaction score
That walnut is sweet. Looks nice, definitely original and different. I would recommend looking into guitarheads hexbuckers for the pups, there are some good reviews for them and that is what I am going to put in my 7 which I am starting soon. And you can get a set for less than 1 of the big name pups.

Can't wait for more progress!!!:yesway:

Themadcow

Reaction score
That walnut is sweet. Looks nice, definitely original and different. I would recommend looking into guitarheads hexbuckers for the pups, there are some good reviews for them and that is what I am going to put in my 7 which I am starting soon. And you can get a set for less than 1 of the big name pups.

Can't wait for more progress!!!:yesway:

Not sure how I missed those before. Any other opinions on these pickups?

That is a fuck of a deal on those, kind of suspicious of the quality at those prices though. And what about their fixed bridges? Look like hipshot ripoffs.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Alright guys, update time, it's a small one, but first

IMG_1614.JPG

Someone through a giant PICK AXE through the back window of my work car last night....WTF????:noplease::noplease::noplease:

So anyway, I decided on machine bolts for the bolt on process, I'm please with how it turned out. Stainless steel screws with metal inserts and Nickel plated finishing washers..

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

I also radiused the fretboard, no pics right now but I'll get some more. Also have to start my dad's fretboard again. Somehow I managed to cut the slots in a less than accurate manner. Not sure how I missed it, but anyway, I have another ebony blank here so it's all good. Now I have to go put some Poly over where my window on my car used to be.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? Who throws a pickaxe, honestly! But that neck looks very clean with those screws, will hold like a beast I bet too!

Themadcow

Reaction score
Holy fucking shit wtf o_O, war on the streets where you live or just random acts of violence? jesus christ. Aside from that, guitar is looking sick man Keep it up! :]

Random act of fucking bored teenagers on a Sunday night I think. Oh well, thanks for the compliment on the guitar anyway.

jcgss77

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car. Kids these days. Reminds me of one night in my apartment complex I used to live in 3 cars got broke into and 2 were left wheel-less. Surprise! :noplease:

Thankfully, mine was untouched.

However, you could make a neck for a new guitar out of the pickaxe!

I think that would be metal! :nuts:

Themadcow

Reaction score
However, you could make a neck for a new guitar out of the pickaxe!

I think that would be metal! :nuts:

Unfortunately I didn't get to keep the pickaxe, the cops took it for evidence. Would be sweet though.

Reaction score
Is this a sign you're gonna have a sweet axe made? I feel really bad for you man, the build is looking great as ever, get those neck pictures up soon, please

Themadcow

Reaction score
Tiny update, more coming soon

Took a roundover bit to the back of the rga, noticed that the machine screw pulled the neck slightly off center. 16th of an inch or so. Glued a shim in and it will be perfect.

I also finished shaping the top of the guitar, so the arch finishes right where the walnut meets the maple.I'll have tons more pics coming soon, but I'll leave you with a couple for now.

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

I also got started on finishing the neck, it's turning out way better than I could have expected for a first time. If you guys have never carved a neck by hand, you have to try it. It's like the ultimate meditation. My favorite part of the building process so far, hands down:hbang:

IMG_1621.JPG

My fretwire and some other supplies should be arriving this week, looking forward to my first fret job.

Devotion

Brojangles
Reaction score
Nice job dude, digging the walnut :hbang: also surprised at your speed, you started about 1 month and a half ago, and already this far! May i ask a rough estimate of the amount of hours spent so far?

Themadcow

Reaction score
Nice job dude, digging the walnut :hbang: also surprised at your speed, you started about 1 month and a half ago, and already this far! May i ask a rough estimate of the amount of hours spent so far?

Thank you very much. I have to sit down and look at all my pics on the computer and figure out how long, I'll get back to you on that.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Ok time for an update....I decided to do the belly carve and the carve for my upper fret access. I used a an 80 grit flapper disc on a 5" grinder to start

IMG_1623.JPG

Then a 120 grit disc followed by a 60 then 120 grit sand by hand.

IMG_1624.JPG

And the result is...

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

Here's a couple shots that show how nice the neck is turning out

IMG_1630.JPG

And a shot of what I want it to look like when it's all finished, courtesy of a damp cloth

IMG_1626.JPG

24th fret access is awesome
IMG_1636.JPG

Anyway that's where I am at. I have to reslot the fretboard for my dad's build because I somehow cut a fret out of the middle of the fretfind template.....fuck me:scratch: Anyway I should be posting some progress on that one as well. I wonder if anyone would buy this from me....I already have a hundred more Ideas for builds, just not the budget. We'll see:hbang:

Latest posts

')