My first build

• Thread starter Themadcow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Themadcow

Reaction score
So I had some time and some patience today so I thought I would have a go at my old man's build.

First I finished installing the machine screws
IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

Then I grabbed the grinder and did a little carving

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

Then I headed home to finish up the carving and sanding...well, not completely finished

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

Notice the 1/4 inch round file, I used it to round off the corners, and to carve the back of the lower and upper horns. I also used it to finish shaping the neck. It's a very versatile tool that everyone should have for shaping wood.

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

The neck feels fantastic. It has a rounder profile than I would use myself, but my old man loves this shape, kind of like an SG, very thin but still U shaped.

IMG_1681.JPG

It's impossible to get a good shot of the carves with and Iphone 4 camera I guess. Really hard to see in the pic but I swear they are there....

And a final shot of today's progress

IMG_1682.JPG

Hopefully my fretwire shows up tomorrow, I am running out of things to do. Still needs some more shaping and sanding but it's getting close.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Hopefully someone who knows will weigh in here. I need some advice on how to finish these guitars, specifically the walnut. I'm starting to research the process and I'm somewhat confused. When you dampen the walnut, it has a very dark appearance and the grain pops out really nice. I want that finish, no stain or anything.

I've read that i need to grain fill the walnut before I do anything else. I've also read that I need to seal it , then grain fill.
:scratch:

If someone could give me a link to a guide, or some advice on how to do this I would really appreciate it.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I haven't gotten this far yet, but I'll tell ya my plans:
seal with sanding sealer, sand lightly to take down the high spots, walnut is slightly porous so you CAN fill it, but I don't plan to, fill it with wood filler, sand it, then apply finish such as furnish, lacquer, or you could skip all that and just put tung oil on it(I THINK)

Themadcow

Reaction score
I haven't gotten this far yet, but I'll tell ya my plans:
seal with sanding sealer, sand lightly to take down the high spots, walnut is slightly porous so you CAN fill it, but I don't plan to, fill it with wood filler, sand it, then apply finish such as furnish, lacquer, or you could skip all that and just put tung oil on it(I THINK)

I was thinking that I could just tung oil, but I want a good clear coat. I don't really have a good spot to spray nitro, so maybe a brush on lacquer? I'll do some more reading.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
just dont decide that a good french polish is the best for your guitar. Do yourself a favor and do something easier.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Small update today. Fretwire and Inlays and some other things arrived.

Drilled the holes for strings through the body

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

I'll have to adjust the holes when I install the ferrules, which arrived today as well. You can't tell from a foot away that the holes are off, but I want them to be perfect, so I will spend a bit of time when I install the ferrules to make sure.

And a shot of some carving

IMG_1688.JPG

Almost done shaping and a lot of the sanding. This weekend I should have pickups and everything else I need to finish this one.

The 8 string will be a little behind, I've decided to use the new dimarzio 8 string passives, so I will have to wait to route pickup slots and stuff. I will post an update this week after I get the frets installed and whatever else I can so you guys can see what it will look like, almost complete.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Well, I'm starting to feel like I'm dragging my ass here, so I got up early this morning .

IMG_1759.JPG

A little mockup. Those are not the pickups, I stole them out of one of my guitars so I could build a template for routing.

IMG_1762.JPG

Template done. Now I somehow managed to do a lot of this without stopping to take pictures.

IMG_1760.JPG

I drilled out some of the wood before I got in there with the router. But I have little patience, so I didn't drill much.

IMG_1765.JPG

So the top was done at this point. I also drilled a hole for the volume pot.

I should have taken more pictures at this point, but I was in the zone, and I kept forgetting. I used an 1 1/4" spade bit to route the cavity for the volume pot. I then freehanded the cavity larger with the router. I brought it over far enough so the barrel jack that I bought will reach the cavity. It's a little oversized, but it leaves room if my old man decides he can't live without a tone control, or a killswitch!!!!
IMG_1764.JPG

Drilling the jack hole was fun. Fits like a dream. I am not gonna post any pics with the hardware installed, don't want to ruin the surprise

IMG_1769.JPG

Thats it for today. The fretwire I ordered had the wrong tang size. My mistake. I epoxied the frets in, but I changed my mind, so I removed them again. I should have new fretwire with the right size by monday or tuesday.
IMG_1742.JPG

The last fret slot is on a bit of an angle, not sure how it happened. I have tons of meat left on the board though, so I am gonna re radius it, the reslot that fret.

That fretwire is enormous by the way. The biggest that allparts sells, with the smallest tang size, go figure.

Purelojik

Reaction score
whats the number on that fretwire. i think the biggest i've seen is the 6100 extra jumbo from dunlop. this looks just enormous..:eek:

Themadcow

Reaction score
So I couldn't go as far as I did and then stop, so later on this afternoon I went back out to the garage

Installed the string ferrules
IMG_1771.JPG

Then I routed a channel between the pickup routes for wire

IMG_1776.JPG

I also drilled holes for the bridge ground and for the pickups to the control cavity. Installed the input jack temporarily and then I decided to cover it all up.

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG

So that is for sure it for today. Tomorrow I will drill the tuning peg holes and then I can start in on the finishing. Looking forward to fixing up the rough spots and making this baby shine......

')