My first Djent attempt

• Thread starter Michael Dragus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
The ambient intro sounds pretty good.

After that its... subpar. Your tone isn't too far off, but you have no bass guitar, and you seem to be playing the most random notes on both guitar and drums.

Michael Dragus

Reaction score
The ambient intro sounds pretty good.

After that its... subpar. Your tone isn't too far off, but you have no bass guitar, and you seem to be playing the most random notes on both guitar and drums.
Thanks about the ambient comment :) but the guitar is not random but the i tried match the drums as best i could but this is more of a test then a song im playing in halfstep down on my damien 8

beneharris

Reaction score
i do like the beginning also, but the rest of the riffs just kinda seem all over the place. you may have something if your able to keep it more coherent.

good job though, takes a lot of guts to post stuff :hbang:

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
The guitar's actual tone sounded flabby and weak to me. I thought you were actually playing a Squier or something. The actual stuff you were playing on it made no sense to me either.

I like the intro though, and how it carries on behind the track. Keep this element :yesway:

Again, I love djent and always find myself saying this: Find your own tone. It's your sonic signature, one of the things that identifies you no matter what band you're in. Use the basic parameters of djent if you must, but really try to make it your own.

Michael Dragus

Reaction score
The guitar's actual tone sounded flabby and weak to me. I thought you were actually playing a Squier or something. The actual stuff you were playing on it made no sense to me either.

I like the intro though, and how it carries on behind the track. Keep this element :yesway:

Again, I love djent and always find myself saying this: Find your own tone. It's your sonic signature, one of the things that identifies you no matter what band you're in. Use the basic parameters of djent if you must, but really try to make it your own.

Thanks again I like hearing on my ambient stuff (my style is normally Ambient Black Metal) to me I can never find a good tone on POD farm :c i know you can but I cant find a sound I like. I even paid for Metal shop and FX.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I don't have a Pod, so I can't give you any tips as far as that goes haha. There's plenty of threads on here to give you advice though, try searching?

Also, even though djent is young and hasn't quite hit that point of being a legitimate genre, it's becoming over-saturated with bedroom producers (not that they're bad or anything!). In everything, strive to be yourself. In your tone, song structures, every single part of the process. Again, having influences is okay, but don't emulate, create.

dan_of_pants

Reaction score
The intro is creepy, kind of reminds me of old horror films - I like it. I had trouble finding the groove in the riff, though - feels like the drums are playing catch up with the guitar the whole time, you know? The drums are a really important part of this kind of music and I think if you rethink the drum tracks a bit, you could get a much more cohesive sound. Keep it up, Michael!

Fisch MIOLI

Reaction score
Thanks again I like hearing on my ambient stuff (my style is normally Ambient Black Metal) to me I can never find a good tone on POD farm :c i know you can but I cant find a sound I like. I even paid for Metal shop and FX.

Do you have any songs for your black metal project?

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff everyone's said.

The guitar is definitely weak. Try recording two guitars, then separating them into the L and R channels (panning). This will make them sound much bigger, even if you have a relatively weak tone. Take the advice of recording bass, as well.

There are a lot of syncopation issues in the mix between the guitar and the drums. Syncopation is highly important, man. You can play anything and usually, if it's syncopated, it will at least be intelligible and understable....and sometime it turns out to be really cool. Figure out how to get the drums and guitar together, and it will be great!

On another note, you might try using your cymbals more to create a feel of rhythm and groove. Though the snare and kick beats themselves can essentially create the groove, we metalheads are quite accustomed to hearing a hi-hat, crash, ride, or china playing a steady stream of notes to keep the tempo. See if you can incorporate this into your mix.

The ambient intro was totally creepy :agreed:

Keep rocking dude, and give us another track ASAP!

Michael Dragus

Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff everyone's said.

The guitar is definitely weak. Try recording two guitars, then separating them into the L and R channels (panning). This will make them sound much bigger, even if you have a relatively weak tone. Take the advice of recording bass, as well.

There are a lot of syncopation issues in the mix between the guitar and the drums. Syncopation is highly important, man. You can play anything and usually, if it's syncopated, it will at least be intelligible and understable....and sometime it turns out to be really cool. Figure out how to get the drums and guitar together, and it will be great!

On another note, you might try using your cymbals more to create a feel of rhythm and groove. Though the snare and kick beats themselves can essentially create the groove, we metalheads are quite accustomed to hearing a hi-hat, crash, ride, or china playing a steady stream of notes to keep the tempo. See if you can incorporate this into your mix.

The ambient intro was totally creepy :agreed:

Keep rocking dude, and give us another track ASAP!

Thanks :D but sadly im one of those people who have no theory, bad memory, and is stuck in the blues/minor mode so bear with me i had to look that word up lol ill try again i have some ideas that are buzzing in my head ^^

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Shit. Okay so I made a big post in here last night with some tips, apparently most of my posts from then are gone :(

Anyways:

Guitars sound out of tune, but the intro is cool :) Any rhythm you ever do with guitars, DOUBLE track, so that means, record the same thing twice, don't just copy and paste, that's not how it works :)

Drums in some parts, especailly at the end sound like they were tracked live yes?

Try programming them in piano roll, and have the cymbals hold the beat, if you're in 4/4, do them mainly on every beat (at least to begin with) and generally with djent and whatnot, you want to have the kick drum follow exactly what the guitars are doing, if it fits, of course you wouldn't do this for the whole song, but if you listen to alot of Bulb/Fellsilent/Meshuggah you'll hear this.

Don't overuse snare or toms either, as blatant snare on top of everything just gets a bit weird.

Most importantly, type "Sevenstring.org Patch Library" into google, and download all the high rated ones, see which one you like best, and tweak it until it sounds as good as you can get it. Then, go nuts on the web looking for POD EQ tips and the like, the Andy Sneap sub-forum on the Ultimatemetal forum is a great place to find tips on anything and everything.

Good luck man! And don't be afraid to post again! :metal:

Slofenwagon

Sir Moo's Alot
Reaction score
The starting to this song is great along with your second riff, if i had to say anything bad it would be the drum and guitar being lined up a bit more other than that bro this is a great start to djent, GROOV ON MAN:shred:

Scookers

Reaction score
I had to look up what Djent was since I didn't know what it even meant. According to some guy on the internet:

Djent is the sound the bandwagon makes when everyone gets on it.

After I listened to some of the music utilizing what they call Djent style, I realized he may be right. It sounds like the nu-metal stuff that was big when I was in high school that I loathed. Guess I'm too much of a throwback. Apparently Djent is not for me. Good luck with the Djent.

Reaction score
Probably should have dropped this in the Recording Section, but it's not too bad. The tone was pretty nice and would probably sound awesome with better software and mixing.

')