My first Djent attempt

• Thread starter Michael Dragus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
Takes guts to post your own stuff and ask for critique. Good for you man. Lots of good advice so far. Really work on the "timing" sync up the riffs with the beats. Messed up time sigs make it that much harder to do so make sure you can track plain old fashioned 4/4 time without issues first. Good luck.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
To be brutally honest, it needs a lot of work. Sounds like you tried to sync the guitar with the drums, but they are off a beat or two. Sync em up, tweak the tone a bit and maybe apply a bit of theory to the song in terms of note progression. Practice makes perfect bud, there's a TON of info on the recording section of these forums that you can use. More time spent doing it the better you'll get, and make use of what you got in terms of equipment.

EDIT: And the ambient part is eery. Gave me goosebumps. It was neat how you kept it going through the song as well.

matisq

Reaction score
It's fucking random!

Hard time for guitar when people more care about their tone rather than staying in tune (intro is played definitely out of tone) and at playing in tempo.

Dude, tone isn't everything!
I think the best way to practice is to play on "dry" guitar without and amp etc.
Practice and practice and then try to record some stuff.

giantchris

Reaction score
Thanks again I like hearing on my ambient stuff (my style is normally Ambient Black Metal) to me I can never find a good tone on POD farm :c i know you can but I cant find a sound I like. I even paid for Metal shop and FX.
One thing that really helped me with recording through my L6 stuff is using high gain amps with less distortion. Works for me.

Ambient part was great. Guitar is off-time and kinda drives me nuts but the one riff at I think 2:20 was pretty good but off time. If you are going to play this kind of music I'd suggest learning how to play some bass a little. In a lot of ways "Djent" is all about the rhythm much like playing bass in a metal band. Just start with having the kick follow the guitar and use the snare or ride/crash to accentuate the beats you want to stand out. Just don't resort to inappropriate double bass the whole time with a blast beat.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
:lol:

The clean intro/background is cool but the high gain stuff is horribly cliche'd. You're trying too hard to sound 'tricky' and complex. If you've been here longer than a year you'll know I hate djent, but it's not hard to just get a nice tone and derp away on the B/F string. Good luck.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
The distorted bit is lacking that 'groove' that djent is associated with. That being said, the distortion itself is fairly tight, though you should probably add a chorus or delay of some sort to fill out the sound.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
Is that... A keyboard's drum kit for the drums?!

:bowdown:

I used to do that alll the time when messing around with random riff ideas at home.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
The tone itself is good, though I would a touch of delay or reverb to allow it to 'fill space' (if that makes any sense).

The riffage still sounds a bit random, follow the beat, groove a little more, don't be afraid of 4/4.

RedChord

Reaction score
Hey man, I am just starting to record my stuff as well, and am working on my tone. I was wondering what you did differently with your tone the second time around, because it sounds much better than the first.

Michael Dragus

Reaction score
Angel p ball drive at 1:30,bass at 1, mids at 12, tred at 2, pre at 5
Noise gate at 1:30
screamer at 9/10oclock on gain and drive and tone at 3oclock
Compresser threshold at 5oclock and gain at 9
CAB settings 4x12 2001 Treadplate. mic 57 on axis
Dual amp
Noise gate at 12
wah pedal at 5
Mipp. crim. amp. drive at 1, bass 5, mid 12,treb 6,pre at 5
compress at thresh at 2, gain at 0
I hope this helps :) I have to credit someone from who i got the main tone layout from on Gotdjent.com but i cant find his name.....so thats my tone tweak it and have fun

BIGRIGG

Reaction score

Latest posts

')