My first eight: Should I get a cheaper one, or save up for a Carvin?

• Thread starter Funleash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Funleash

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a long time lurker, and joined awhile ago, but still just lurked mostly. I got my first seven string recently (an Agile Septor elite). See, I went with Agile because I'd heard many good things on these forums, and they are relatively cheap, and didn't want my first guitar above six strings to be something really expensive, in case the jump was something I didn't like. Turns out, I love the guitar, and now want to get an eight string.

My dilemma is, I don't know what to start with. Trust me, it isn't like I haven't looked. Through my time lurking here I've learned a lot about guitars. What I'm unsure of is right there in the topic title. Should I go with Agile again (or Schecter, Ibanez, other mid range), or save up several hundred more and go with a DC800? I've seen almost nothing but praise for those, and when it comes to the mid priced guitars, I don't think I could get a 26.5 scale Schecter 8 after getting used to and loving my 27 inch scale Agile 7, and I've heard mixed things about the RGA8, particularly the awful pickups.

There are a couple of Agile 8's on Rondo that I really like right now, but I'm just wondering if I should just go the extra step to the Carvin, since both the Agile's I've been eyeing are $899, which isn't that much below a DC800. Do you guys think it's worth it for my first eight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
So you like your Agile? If you like that, I have very little doubt that you'd enjoy the eight-string, too. Since you're in the US, you can return it if the quality isn't right.

I think the reason you'd want to go for a custom Carvin is, since they're cheap in the US, you'd get one if you wanted to spend a bit more money to choose options that you can't get elsewhere. The quality would be a bit better.

Other than that, I guess it comes down to preference. Myself, I've fallen in love with my Ibanez RG2228's thinness and quality. It just fits me so well. On the plus side for Agile, you know what the guitar is going to feel like. Carvin's will of course be a bit different to what you're used to. I think the only thing to worry about is if you want all those custom options for the extra price. If the Agile suits you perfectly... save the money and get it!

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Do you plan on customizing it much?
Right now, if you do at least a few customizations on a DC800, you'll get $100 off.

I just spec'd out a relatively cheap one that would still be totally sexy. All I added/changed was:
classic white - $0
5 piece all maple neck - $90
maple fingerboard - $0
no inlays - $0
stainless steel frets - $40 (any size of stainless steel frets is $40)
black hardware - $30
graphtech TUSQ nut - $5
white trussrod cover - $0
Total price with case - $1133

If I went with an ebony fretboard, I'd keep the trussrod cover black and use the standard nut, which is also black. That would also make it $5 cheaper.

Funleash

Reaction score
Well, if I decide to go with the Carvin, I think I'll definitely customize it a bit, and I've played around with their custom spec thing on their site a few times and had it be around 1200 to 1400 depending on what I was feeling at the moment.

The thing with getting another Agile is, as much as I like my Agile, and how much I think it is a great guitar for the money, the "for the money" part still comes into play. I mean, I don't have much bad to say about it, but I can still tell it's a mid-range guitar. It definitely feels upper mid-range, but still mid-range. I'm mainly wondering if it would be wise to save up the extra 400+ and go for the Carvin, if that extra cash is worth it, and if it's a good idea to spend that much on my first 8

Has anyone played both an Agile and DC800 and could compare them?

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
^I know there are others that have. I spoke to someone in the SSO chatroom about it, but I can't remember who. They said that the biggest differences was the comfort, resonance of the wood, and the tone (which the high quality wood helps that a lot).

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
Go cheap or used. That way, if you don't get along with the 8 string, you won't be out too much money; and with used guitar you'll prolly get most of your money back on the resale.

Funleash

Reaction score
Go cheap or used. That way, if you don't get along with the 8 string, you won't be out too much money; and with used guitar you'll prolly get most of your money back on the resale.

Sorry, something I forgot to mention in my first post (definitely should have), I have played an eight string before, an RG2228, and I had no trouble playing it, just like I had almost no trouble going from six to seven. I felt fine with eight strings, although I really didn't like the aesthetics of the RG2228 (glossy black + rosewood fretboard = bleugh).

Again, I'm not so much worried I'll spend a lot and end up not liking eight strings regardless, I'm wondering if the jump from the higher level Agiles to DC800 is worth saving for now. I figure I'm going to get a DC800 eventually (at least once I get an actual job), but I'm wondering if I should just get an eight now for cheaper and just wait until the next time I have enough extra cash for a DC800 (which might be awhile without a reliable source of income).

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I agree with MetalGravy, go used. I see Agiles go on here for $499, occasionally less.

Since you're buying used, you could likely sell for close to your purchase price when you decide to upgrade.

Funleash

Reaction score
I agree with MetalGravy, go used. I see Agiles go on here for $499, occasionally less.

Since you're buying used, you could likely sell for close to your purchase price when you decide to upgrade.

Well I can't buy one from here, can I? Don't you need 100 posts or something?

edit: Wait, sorry, you probably meant that as an example of how cheap they can get. Well I can keep a lookout on ebay and craigslist and see if one that catches my eye pops up, and speaking of used, how much do Carvins usually go for?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
You need 100 substantive posts to originate a classified ad. No minimum is required to respond to one.

However, your cautious approach sets you apart from all the noobs who ignore the rules entirely. +1 to your rep, good sir.

Edit: Holy crap! Apparently I gave you 25 points of rep with a wave of my hand! My opinion clearly counts for too much.... *laugh*

Funleash

Reaction score
You need 100 substantive posts to originate a classified ad. No minimum is required to respond to one.

However, your cautious approach sets you apart from all the noobs who ignore the rules entirely. +1 to your rep, good sir.

Edit: Holy crap! Apparently I gave you 25 points of rep with a wave of my hand! My opinion clearly counts for too much.... *laugh*

haha well thanks! I'll have to check out those ads then. Although I still feel like I should get a bit more involved around here before I try to buy from some one, otherwise it kind of feels like I'm just using the community to find a cheap guitar. That's why I thought there was a requirement to buy.

edit: Also, I have to ask. Did you get that forum picture from an SCP article (don't remember which one it is), or did you see it "before it was cool"?

yuureikun

Reaction score
Has anyone played both an Agile and DC800 and could compare them?

I owned an Agile Interceptor 828 before getting my Carvin. The Agile was definitely a nice guitar, and treated me very well when it came to practice, recording, and live shows. That being said, the instant I pulled my DC800 out of it's case the day I got it, the difference in quality was immediately noticeable. As nice as Agile's are for the cash, Carvin's are much, much higher in quality. The DC800 just plays so much more smoothly than my Agile did. The Agile was a very loud guitar (when not plugged in) and to my surprise, the Carvin is as loud, if not more loud and clear when unplugged. The resonance is amazing.

I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the extra bit of money towards a Carvin is worth it. And they also have a 10 day trial period, so if you decide an 8 string isn't for you, send it back and get a refund. You will only be out shipping costs.

Funleash

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I think I'm going to look for something used (for now, at least), probably Agile, but who knows, maybe I'll find a good deal on a used DC800. I just think, after weighing my options, it might be wiser of me to wait on any $1000+ guitars until I get a better paying/more reliable job than the local summer market.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Hang out for a used Carvin DC800... surely sooner or later one will come up.... I bought an Agile 8 and I wish I saved up for the Carvin looking back....

You're gonna have to watch those classifieds like a hawk though :lol:

Reaction score
I had similar requirements as you for an 8 string and chose the Carvin DC800.

After playing my friend's RG2228, I knew I wanted an 8 and I really didn't want to settle for anything less in terms of playablity, but didn't want to drop $2k on a black Ibanez. I also wanted no less than 27" scale.

I really wanted an Agile Septor Elite but the models I wanted kept selling out before I could drop $900 on one. Then I started seeing Carvin NGD's...

Anyway, you can put the order in and make a couple of payments over 2 months the guitar was being built to your specs. Just an idea... That was the only way I could rationalize paying ~$1500.00 for a guitar. Granted I am employed, but didn't take a big hit to my cashflow since I spread the payments out.

The wait for the DC800 will chap your ass... and you might find yourself clicking around Rondo thinking, I could order this Agile and be playing by the weekend...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Also, I have to ask. Did you get that forum picture from an SCP article (don't remember which one it is), or did you see it "before it was cool"?

I don't know what SCP is, but that's been my avatar since 2009, when I joined. My friends say that I'm capable of both moving instinctively and quickly, and also of thinking things through like a machine, so that fit the bill.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I have four of them (CT6M, CS4M, deceased DC127, and a DC727 that should be here in about four weeks). Totally worth the money and the wait. My two sixes are every bit as nice as a PRS or the like, and my DC127 would still be heavily used if my lead guitarist hadn't dropped it on stage:mad: They are extremely nice guitars for the price, and a hell of a lot less money than pretty much any other custom shop guitar.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
Man, i'm somewhat in the same position. I was trying to buy an agile intrepid from sessionswan, but something happened at the bank. I was out of the money I deposited for 2 weeks. I got my money back and I'm just waiting for a b stock. The reason I don't want to get a Carvin right away is because all I've owned "guitar wise" are cheapo's and my ltd. I owned a Schecter Hellraiser special at one point but the neck felt twisted so I returned it. (after 2 days) if I were you though, get a "b stock" or used agile and see if you like 8's before dropping on a Carvin. "B stocks" usually run (from what i've seen) from $400-700 depending on the guitar.

')