My first gig =)

• Thread starter snuif09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

snuif09

Reaction score
so 10okt will be my first gig with an actual band and I'm pretty nervous we are going to play 2 songs for about 400 people most of you ofcourse think that's nothing but i don't think so lol.

i tend to break strings allot on the most horrible moments so that sucks >< and yea i get nervous easily although i think our songs rock xD

what did you guys do on your first gig? how did it go? and what to do against string failure.

thanks.

btw if i fail you can all see it cause there is a camera crew coming for our gig xD and ofcourse ill upload it on the tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

natspotats

Reaction score
if i add up every person ive ever seen at a gig in my town it still wouldnt equal 400 haha

ma7erick

Left Handed Shecter
Reaction score
Well, I myself could experience that past month, my first gig. I can tell you that no matter how calm of a person you can be, the first time everybody is nervous.

Here in my country, 400 persons for a local gig is HUGE man, HUGE... but dont focus too much in the quantity of ppl attending and focus on doing what you do best, which I suppose is playing guitar right?

Now, in my personal experience, all that pressure and stress disappeared the moment I started playing, it was amazing, it was like a switch man.

As for the strings, I was having the same concern because I tend to break strings a lot too, so I bought a fresh set of strings just in case... If you break it during a song, just carry on playing, if the string you broke is too crucial to play your songs, let the band finish the song while you change the string. All this is in case you've only one guitar.

In case you've 2 or more guitars, just have one of your friends to help you switch it for the another one and you're done.

I wish you the best on that, and give us the feedback.

snuif09

Reaction score
Well, I myself could experience that past month, my first gig. I can tell you that no matter how calm of a person you can be, the first time everybody is nervous.

Here in my country, 400 persons for a local gig is HUGE man, HUGE... but dont focus too much in the quantity of ppl attending and focus on doing what you do best, which I suppose is playing guitar right?

Now, in my personal experience, all that pressure and stress disappeared the moment I started playing, it was amazing, it was like a switch man.

As for the strings, I was having the same concern because I tend to break strings a lot too, so I bought a fresh set of strings just in case... If you break it during a song, just carry on playing, if the string you broke is too crucial to play your songs, let the band finish the song while you change the string. All this is in case you've only one guitar.

In case you've 2 or more guitars, just have one of your friends to help you switch it for the another one and you're done.

I wish you the best on that, and give us the feedback.

yea i will definatly put on a new set of strings =)
and ill just take my 6 stringer tuned in b with me just to be sure

thanks alot for the input

Tyrant

Reaction score
Holy shit, 400 people on your first gig ?!? Ive never been close to a crowd like that! (not that Ive played a shitload of shows or anything). My first, there was probably 4-5 people wich was just friends, haha. Was nervous as fuck, but it turned out okay.

You just have to try and concentrate on playing and not so much about the people.

darbdavys

Reaction score
you need to think of it as another rehearsal. also, take some tissues or a towel, your hands will be sweaty ;)
ah, easy for me to speak, having stage experience of 9 years :D

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
just let go and enjoy the moment. More than 1K gigs done, it's still what I do - if you get nervous easily, remember it's all about you and your band putting on a good show, and you're not alone up there.

Don't stare into nothingness with a frightened look. Not only it will pass a feeling of insecurity to the public, but it also means you are not focusing on what you're doing and letting nerves and insecurity take over.

When you hit the stage, you're a God. It doesn't matter if it's 1 or 100000 people in the audience, you must give it 200%, and have fun while at it. If your music rocks, according to what you've said, it means you like it, which is just one more reason to enjoy every bit on stage.

Break a leg, mate! :hbang:

snuif09

Reaction score
just let go and enjoy the moment. More than 1K gigs done, it's still what I do - if you get nervous easily, remember it's all about you and your band putting on a good show, and you're not alone up there.

Don't stare into nothingness with a frightened look. Not only it will pass a feeling of insecurity to the public, but it also means you are not focusing on what you're doing and letting nerves and insecurity take over.

When you hit the stage, you're a God. It doesn't matter if it's 1 or 100000 people in the audience, you must give it 200%, and have fun while at it. If your music rocks, according to what you've said, it means you like it, which is just one more reason to enjoy every bit on stage.

Break a leg, mate! :hbang:

when i play guitar im mostly headbanging pretty heavy xD so i hope they dont find that ridiculous

and the reason for 400 people is cause the guy where we practice with the band organizes al kinds of festivals and metal/punk party's
and now we are playing at a punk fest and we play a mix between thrash,death and deathcore xD but alot of people are coming specially for us so i will try to put on a good show rehearsing the songs goes flawless i hope its the same on stage =)

thanks

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
Good luck man. I still get nervous before gigs but I think it's a good thing. The only advice I'll give is move around on stage, there's nothing worse than a band who just stand there playing their stuff. Me and my guitarist jump around all the time and we always get complimented on our stage presence.

Overall, just relax, rock out and have a good time.

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
OH that's awesome dude. It's addicting for some (this guy included).

I popped my cherry playing bass for a high school band. I had no chops or skill, they just asked me cause I looked the part. We learned a bunch of Nirvana and Silverchair covers and opened the show to about 300 people. God damn was I nervous. My mom and grandma were there, along with my girlfriend and all our friends. Fuck... I was so nervous I was convulsing. Butterflies, nausea, the whole 9 yards but short from puking. Played the show and the whole time my knees were buckling. But we aced the covers and made a hit with the crowd. God damn was it awesome.

Flash forward 10 years. I've been on tour, played dive bars to 5 people, played for hundreds and it's just awesome. Now it's music I have personally written with a band I call my brothers. We're all in it for fun, not the glitz and glamour. Tech metal doesn't get you groupies(unless it's my gf), unless their fellow musicians commenting on my tapping and riffing. It's just great.

The nervousness goes away cause its all in your head. Buck up, look to have some fun, and rock that shit. :hbang:

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
400 people? I would feel like "I'm a fuckin' rock star!" It's those 10 people + our girlfriends gigs that make me feel like I'm under a microscope.

brahminlead

Reaction score
My first show was awful. I drank like two monster energy drinks right before I went on. Thought it would help with presence, but the caffeine jitters mixed with adrenalin made anything other than standing in the exact same spot impossible.
I have some advice though. Buy some strings, stretch em out break em and then play the show, always make sure you have a brand new set of em, or you might break one. Also, bring a backup guitar, never hurts. Also, if you suck, don't get discouraged, it happens.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Just relax, and have a good time. As for string breaking, I've changed strings during songs before ;) So it's no big deal. Just focus on having fun, and you'll be alright :)

hutchman

El' Lamo
Reaction score
My 1st gig consisted of 45 mins of Nirvana tunes, 1 silverchair tune, and 1 original instrumental that consisted of 5 chords.:lol: I was 12 and I just stood there with my hair on my face trying to be Kurt Cobain. I thought it was pretty good. Boy was I wrong. Lucky there wasn't youtube back then or I would be very embarrassed.

Dude get a back up guitar ready. If you break a string have a mate on the side ready to bring out the back up. Thats the best option I reckon.

Dei

Doomjent
Contributor
Reaction score
I find the best way to cope with being nervous is to let loose when you are up on stage. Don't think something bad is going to happen, believe that you're going to own the stage! After the first song you'll feel in place. Being organized also helps cope with stress. Good luck!:hbang:

')