My first guitar build

• Thread starter elvendio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elvendio

Reaction score
Here is the step by step build.
Started with this drawing.
DSC04512-1.jpg

Then I went to the mill and picked out a nice slab of Black Locust (hardest wood in North America)
DSC04516.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

Next I cut and shape the body and neck and fretboard. They are all one piece no glue!
DSC04575.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

Then I applied a hemp oil finish
Bratsandguitar022.jpg

Bratsandguitar021.jpg

Bratsandguitar017.jpg

Part 2

Now for the fretting and hardware
Bratsandguitar025.jpg

Bratsandguitar024.jpg

The "fanned" frets compensate for scale length. 30" at bass end and 25" for treble string end. Due to thickness of bass strings they require a longer scale.
MOreguitarpics017.jpg

MOreguitarpics003.jpg

Pickups, bridge and tuners and were good to go
MOreguitarpics024.jpg

MOreguitarpics025.jpg

MOreguitarpics026.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Holy f**k i'm speechless.

...Amazing...

EDIT: Toronto! Yay!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Holy cow! That's great! Way to eeeeeease into guitar building with a 13 string build!
Now, for those of us unfamiliar with standard 13 string tunings (i.e. everyone on Earth), how are you tuning it? It looks like it's set up for standard playing (not tapping) since the heaviest string is on the opposite side of the FB from the lightest string.

somn

Reaction score
I'm blown away be carefull with ur last two frets they seem to be sharp try templates for your humbucker routes why no truss rod? all in all it still cool n fun

goth_fiend

Reaction score
being as this was built for all intents and purposes as a slab, Im concerned about the stability of the wood, with as much tension is on that neck, im sure it will bow without a truss rod, let alone the natural movement of the wood, but its really awesome looking dude

vansinn

Reaction score
Whadda first-time build! Congrats. I'd also be worried about neck stability over time without a truss (or two), even with such hard wood and a wide relatively thick looking neck.
I don't understand your head design to the bass side, with that much a string spreading.
AFAICS from the pics, string spacings are uneven in a couple of places towards the bass side; is this by accident or are you grouping strings?

elvendio

Reaction score
Whadda first-time build! Congrats. I'd also be worried about neck stability over time without a truss (or two), even with such hard wood and a wide relatively thick looking neck.
I don't understand your head design to the bass side, with that much a string spreading.
AFAICS from the pics, string spacings are uneven in a couple of places towards the bass side; is this by accident or are you grouping strings?

I did ponder about not putting a truss rod and decided to do without it first and if the neck by some chance does move I will shave off the fretboard install a truss rod and glue on a new one. this wood is dried and very very hard and thick like my leg lol i doubt it will move.

The nut i have on it is only temporary as i am still waiting for the custom gauge strings i ordered .240 .198 .172 .150 crazy thick. The spacing actually will compensate the thickness of the strings.

Latest posts

')