My gear definitive! High Gain Amp! What say me?

• Thread starter maloteslos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What head is better for me?

• Blackstar HT100

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Carvin Legacy 3

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • EVH 5150 III mini (50 watts)

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Peavey 6505

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Peavey 6505+

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • ENGL Screamer 50

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maloteslos

Reaction score
Don't rule out used. I used to, and missed out on a lot of really great opportunities. I bought my rectifier used and it was in perfect condition, not a scratch, not a problem at all. I also saved about 800-900 dollars by doing that.

Of the amps you listed, I would take the 5153. However, what you described, is what the rectifiers do best. My recommendation, is the dual rectifier as well.

Ok, in case of buy a Recto used, were you recommend me buy this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Most of the bands listed used or still use a Mesa Dual Rec. This amp is going to give you nice cleans and a thick and powerful (also loose/full) bottom end.

If I had to stick to your list then i'd probably choose the EVH 5150 (great cleans and good high-gain tones). Otherwise, Mesa Dual Rec.

If you are having problems finding a used Dual Rec (as you seem to have a budget that a new Dual Rec would exceed) you could try out the new Mesa Mini-Rectifier (25 tube watts).

Rizzo

Reaction score
Tried the 5150III and the HT100. Just no comparison...maybe the 5150 clean is not that high headroom but it completely slays the HT overall.

VESmedic

Reaction score
Look at this guys influence guys... The 5150 isn't voiced anywhere close for just about any of that stuff, and is probably generally too aggressive... Recto all day: virtually everyone of those bands have/has/still does use a recto.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Look at this guys influence guys... The 5150 isn't voiced anywhere close for just about any of that stuff, and is probably generally too aggressive... Recto all day: virtually everyone of those bands have/has/still does use a recto.

I agree. I like my Ironheart 120h gain channels more than everything else I've tried on the original list however it is dry and tight and the clean is dull compared to many other amps so despite it being within budget it is not the right choice so I've not suggested it.

The only curveball I'd suggest is the 1046L6 from Blackstar - not any other model, just that one. It has a nice clean and the OD1/OD2 channels are fairly loose without a boost and quite aggressive. Leave the ISF fairly near the centre, wattage on full and give one a go. You'll probably keep the gain below half, it has ludicrous amounts of gain.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Thanks guys, well, in definitive for this that I want, need a 100 watts or more in my new head? Because, the idea here, is well, buy a head for in all case, later, if not like me more, gather some more and can sell fast to buy a Dual Rectifier or other better. See? For the moment, I need buy the best head in the list for my need =)

viesczy

Reaction score
I voted 5153 50. Of what you have listed will do what you're asking for adn I have one that sounds STELLAR.

Only complaint, the sharing of controls on the green/blue channel. But if you use a midi control you can fix that using midi switching. BTW can someone explain that to me? I don't use MIDI so it seems so OFF to me. Oddly I can wax poetic about M theory and talk at length about how we "understand" blackholes have gone from static to spinning, but the midi switching of my 5153 50... LOST!

Derek

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
If you get a chance, try an HT100. I wasn't too stoked about them when they first came out because i judged a book by its cover thinking that it was a vintage amp. I went in my music store the yesterday and jesus sang through those speakers! Once i got this thing dialed in right, i got an insane metal tone! If i had to compare it to another amp, I would say it sounds a lot like a 5150, but without the fizz. This, all coming from a die hard 5150 fan!

it didn't even need a TS!

it also has a great clean channel and very usable low gain setting.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Ok, see guys. In general, what I'm looking? Well, mainly, the distortion, a killer distortion, something that break me in two! crushing! A beast! And in the clean channel, something with much headroom that I not can break so easily, this is my primary objetive in the clean channel!

MrPowers

Reaction score
I'm going to suggest from that list the EVH or its big brother. But because of your list, I'm gonna say Mesa Dual/Triple/Roadster. I know several of the bands on your list have someone that uses or has used one of those. So ya, used Recto and a boost pedal.

maloteslos

Reaction score
I voted 5153 50. Of what you have listed will do what you're asking for adn I have one that sounds STELLAR.

Only complaint, the sharing of controls on the green/blue channel. But if you use a midi control you can fix that using midi switching. BTW can someone explain that to me? I don't use MIDI so it seems so OFF to me. Oddly I can wax poetic about M theory and talk at length about how we "understand" blackholes have gone from static to spinning, but the midi switching of my 5153 50... LOST!

Derek

Well, is the best option for the moment. And... What you think about of the Peavey 6505 or the plus in the clean channel? With the gain at 3, a good EQ and the post at 5, presence at 3 or 4 and the resonance at 6 or 5. I think that with the gain at 3 in the clean channel of the Peavey, plug in the normal gain not the high gain input, I can get a good clean tone. But I not sure, what you think?

vick1000

Reaction score
Well, is the best option for the moment. And... What you think about of the Peavey 6505 or the plus in the clean channel? With the gain at 3, a good EQ and the post at 5, presence at 3 or 4 and the resonance at 6 or 5. I think that with the gain at 3 in the clean channel of the Peavey, plug in the normal gain not the high gain input, I can get a good clean tone. But I not sure, what you think?

If your pickups are not too hot, you can get a nice clean on a 6505+.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Well, the final question! Which head have more headroom (not break so easily) in the clean channel? The Peavey 6505 (120 watts) or the EVH 5150 III (50 watts)? Because I like the tone in both head, in clean and distortion, both are really cool for me.

maloteslos

Reaction score
Well more watts usually means more headroom.

Well, The headroom for me is the capacity that have a head of keep the clean tone ti high levels of volume, without break. In this case you think that the Peavey is for me?

vick1000

Reaction score
Well, The headroom for me is the capacity that have a head of keep the clean tone ti high levels of volume, without break. In this case you think that the Peavey is for me?

You won't know that until you try one. I can't tell you if it is, or is not, only that it meets some of your criteria, as I understand it.

')