My gear definitive! High Gain Amp! What say me?

• Thread starter maloteslos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What head is better for me?

• Blackstar HT100

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Carvin Legacy 3

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • EVH 5150 III mini (50 watts)

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Peavey 6505

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Peavey 6505+

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • ENGL Screamer 50

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maloteslos

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new head for play with my band (we play rock/metal, hard rock, metal and ballads). We normaly play in places to 1000 or 3000 persons, I need a head for play in this type of places. The tone? Well, I'm looking a head with a good clean channel that not break so fast, (with much headroom) and a killer distortion (loose, modern, heavy, powerfull, defined, articulate, agressive and with much sustain like for make a good tapping). I want a head with a good quality of build, that I can use for several years without many problems.

My influences?

-Story of the Year (love this).
-Alter Brigde (love this).
-Kutless.
-Dream Theater.
-Godsmack.
-Lostprophets.
-Evanecense.
-Avenged Sevenfold.
-August Burn Red.
-All time low.
-Nickelbacks.
-Switchfoot.
-Simple Plan.

My guitar is a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 made in USA and my cabinet is a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Traditional 4x12" with Celestions V30.

I have a list of the heads that I think buy:

-Blackstar HT100.
-Carvin Legacy 3.
-EVH 5150 III mini.
-Peavey 6505 or 6505+.
-ENGL Screamer 50.
-Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 plus.

Only can buy one of these heads of the list. What you can recommend me? Give your 3 best options. Please, you can help me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jayd41

Reaction score
You can take the Express Plus off your list unless you plan on running a distortion pedal through the clean channel.

I just returned one because I couldn't get a metal tone I liked out of it. The amp is AMAZING sounding and extremely versatile, but I couldn't find a like able metal sound.

What about a Dual Rectifier or a Roadster?

maloteslos

Reaction score
You can take the Express Plus off your list unless you plan on running a distortion pedal through the clean channel.

I just returned one because I couldn't get a metal tone I liked out of it. The amp is AMAZING sounding and extremely versatile, but I couldn't find a like able metal sound.

What about a Dual Rectifier or a Roadster?

You tried use a boost in front to get a high gain tone?

Darren James

Reaction score
I'm also going to say rectifier, it's such a versatile amp and will do what your looking for with ease. (In my opinion) if your stuck to your list above, then I'd go for the 5150 but I'm bias as I love the tone of those amps.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
if you truly want everything out of a amp you need the 100watt evh 5150iii

Jayd41

Reaction score
You tried use a boost in front to get a high gain tone?

I sure did.
It's the way the Burn channel is voiced. You have to have the mid knob almost all the way up to get any aggression.
It's just voiced to smooth. It is an awesome channel for playing leads on...

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
FMgW1.jpg

But in all seriousness, out of the options you listed I would say the 6505+

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely go for the full power(100w or +) if you have the cash.
Rectifier (dual/triple/roadster),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or 6505+ would be my choice out of your list.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
The tone? Well, I'm looking a head with a good clean channel that not break so fast, (with much headroom) and a killer distortion (loose, modern, heavy, powerfull, defined, articulate, agressive and with much sustain like for make a good tapping). I want a head with a good quality of build, that I can use for several years without many problems.

-Blackstar HT100.
-EVH 5150 III mini.
-Peavey 6505 or 6505+.
-ENGL Screamer 50.

I'll give my impressions on the amps I'm aware of/have used.

Blackstar HT100 has a good clean but the distortion could be a bit too compressed for you, especially if you like tones like Alter Bridge.

EVH 5150 III gets a lot of love on here, but I think the 50 watt it is too tight for what you want - specifically as you said 'loose' as your first word when describing the tone you want.

Peavey 6505 again fairly tight but it'll be the cleans you may or may not like on that amp. Definitely try it first.

Engl Screamer 50 - The one I tried was very bright and quite tight, again probably not the right choice.

I honestly think you want a Mesa Dual/Triple/Roadster/Road King Rectifier. It has the industry standard loose big modern metal sound, and certain models like the Roadster/Road King/newer 'reborn' Rectos have fantastic clean channels too. If a Recto is out of budget I'd recommend saving. Really, if you want the loose/huge Recto sound I don't think there are any substitutes.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Of the choices, considering that you need a nice clean channel, definitely the 5153. You can also look into the new Randall RD series...

maloteslos

Reaction score
Well, the thing is guys that, I not have much money for buy a great amp. Only have 1300$ and for the moment, not can more of this. I love the rectifier, but not want nothing used, if I go to buy a head, I want a new head, not used. See? :/ I love much the rectifier tone however =)

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The 5150 III fits the bill.

Great cleans, thick, aggressive, metal punch, and everything in between.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Well, the thing is guys that, I not have much money for buy a great amp. Only have 1300$ and for the moment, not can more of this. I love the rectifier, but not want nothing used, if I go to buy a head, I want a new head, not used. See? :/ I love much the rectifier tone however =)

Don't rule out used. I used to, and missed out on a lot of really great opportunities. I bought my rectifier used and it was in perfect condition, not a scratch, not a problem at all. I also saved about 800-900 dollars by doing that.

Of the amps you listed, I would take the 5153. However, what you described, is what the rectifiers do best. My recommendation, is the dual rectifier as well.

')