My gear definitive! High Gain Amp! What say me?

• Thread starter maloteslos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What head is better for me?

• Blackstar HT100

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Carvin Legacy 3

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • EVH 5150 III mini (50 watts)

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Peavey 6505

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Peavey 6505+

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • ENGL Screamer 50

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viesczy

Reaction score
I was thinking, what about a Peavey XXX?

It has a clean that stays clean, an ultra channel that has more gain than the world has people & the "crunch" channel that has as much gain as the world has people but a brighter/more classic voice than the ultra.

Honestly I would say that my XXX is the equal of my 5153 50 for gain.

You can score them pretty cheapily too.

BTW if you go the XXX route please DON'T use EL34s in it. The EL34 ends up making the two channels identical, in a bad way though to my ears.

Derek

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MStack

The Final Sleep
Reaction score
5150 III - channel 2 could do the heavy rock/metal tones you are looking for without being super modern high gain. You always have that option with channel 3 if you want it. The cleans are amazing also.

maloteslos

Reaction score
My problem is the budget, only have 1300$ USD and... I know that can buy a Rectos with my budget but, not want nothing used, because not give me much reliability. I LOVE the Dual Rectifier Reborn is the head of my dreams, but cost in Sweetwater 1950$, and not have 1950$ USD, for this reason, I want a head that resembles to the Recto Renacer.

Reaction score
Get a mesa rectifier. Even though I'm a 6505 fan boy, the tone qualities you're describing and your influence calls for a recto. The 5150iii is a really tight amp which sound great but if you want a loose thick loose tone it's mesa all day. The 6505 is a great amp but if you're serious about your cleans you have to know how to tweak it. The 6505 is an extremely aggressive sustain machine with a growling tone but like I said it doesn't have fender cleans. As for the engl it's similar to the 5150iii, sounds great but engls are really tight amps. Blackstar is pretty good but they're nothing too special to me. Carvins I'm not a fan of they're just not BR00t4l enuf. The mesa express series just doesn't have the gain. So I'd go with a rectifier, but if you aren't too crazy about cleans then the 6505+ is an excellent head with a ballsy cutting tone. You can't go wrong either way.

Latest posts

')