My guitar recordings sound like they're coming out of telephone speakers.

• Thread starter theory of Forms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title says it all. Well, maybe not so extreme, it's not that bad haha..

I'm shooting for 5150-type gain with lots of attack and presence.

But I use a boss processor to set the preamp settings and all that so tone's not the issue. When I record the track into garageband and pan the tracks hard left and right, the tracks sound really tiny and not full at all.

I want 'em to sound like they're coming out of a half stack and not a telephone from the next room.. I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

What sort of EQ should I put on these tracks? Maybe a little reverb?

Thanks!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Tough to say without clips of it.

With the little information given here, I'd say your settings on the Boss processor are indeed an issue.

You can have all the EQ in the world, but if your source tone is garbage, the finished tone will be garbage.

Post a clip.

What amp are you using?

Third line, fourth word in. ;)

TasmanSam

Reaction score
The title says it all. Well, maybe not so extreme, it's not that bad haha..

I'm shooting for 5150-type gain with lots of attack and presence.

But I use a boss processor to set the preamp settings and all that so tone's not the issue. When I record the track into garageband and pan the tracks hard left and right, the tracks sound really tiny and not full at all.

I want 'em to sound like they're coming out of a half stack and not a telephone from the next room.. I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

What sort of EQ should I put on these tracks? Maybe a little reverb?

Thanks!!

Shot in the dark but are you using cab sims? if you are running pre amp sounds with no cab emulation it will sound tinny and awful

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score

With the little information given here, I'd say your settings on the Boss processor are indeed an issue.

You can have all the EQ in the world, but if your source tone is garbage, the finished tone will be garbage.

Post a clip.

Yeah post a clip, also if you want a 5150 sound I suggest you get a 5150 then.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Shot in the dark but are you using cab sims? if you are running pre amp sounds with no cab emulation it will sound tinny and awful

I'm pretty sure the Boss thingy will do some kind of cab simulation, at least the one my friend has does so.

You may need to record bass with it as well. But, like everyone else said, post clips, son!

Reaction score
I have to disagree with that, man.. I'm just saying that I've got the tone down pretty well with the processor. I'm just horrible with mixing and mastering. It sounds OK initially without the eq and compression. But when I try to tweak it to enhance stuff, I end up making it sound worse.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Then don't tweak it. A simple high and low pass is sometimes all you need.

Also, heavily distorted guitars (save for leads on occasion) don't typically need more compression since distortion is technically compression.

Reaction score

Post a clip.

I have to disagree with that, man.. I'm just saying that I've got the tone down pretty well with the processor. I'm just horrible with mixing and mastering. It sounds OK initially without the eq and compression. But when I try to tweak it to enhance stuff, I end up making it sound worse.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score

Then why do you have to add EQ and compression?
If it sounds better without it, then leave it be.
Unless you aren't experienced with EQ's and compressors.

')