My guitar's strings began buzzing suddenly

• Thread starter redlol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redlol

Reaction score
But they didnt buzz before, I had the action nice and low and it played great, and now the strings are buzzing all of a sudden on the first 5 frets on the A D G and B strings. So I raised the action on the bridge, and now my previously good setup is crap, and the action is too high except for the lower frets which are perfect. I know string buzz is an elementary issue, but I didn't do ANYTHING to the guitar- I let it sit for a few days without playing, and now it's suddenly decided to play like crap.

What do you guys reckon? My first thought is that the strings are old.. But a couple days isn't going to make a drastic change like that. I am passively trying to sell the guitar actually, and this makes me want to move it even more. It's a nice guitar, a Schecter c7 hellraiser hybrid.. Shouldnt have this kind of issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Do you place lighter gauge strings? Because it seems the neck pull back as it did not have enough tension counterin the truss rod setting. Easy fix none the less.

Return the action, then adjust the truss rod left or counter clock wise to loosen, do it ever so slightly until desired results the lower the action again as it may have risen with the adjusgment.

Edika

Reaction score
I would say a truss rod adjustment should be in order. You should however take it to a tech or be really really careful.

Omura

Reaction score
Had my rg752fx set up beautifully, picked it up one day an it was buzzing like a mofo and notes were Ben choking out on the high strings. I looked at the neck, seemed te same as ever. Changed the strings on a whim and bam! Problem totally solved, no need to mess with the set up or adjust anything, the strings were just dead.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Yeah, that's not unheard of. Metal fatigue of sorts or corrosion from finger gunk penetration or whatever the hell it is, sometimes strings just lose some of their pull.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Old strings sure. Do you clean the strings before playing? Each time?

Also... any drastic weather change?

Horizongeetar93

the sparkle guy
Reaction score
I see you live in New Jersey, which is very close to where I live. Once the transition from summer to winter and vice versa, you will need to set up your instruments again due to the climate change. If your room is 100% temperature controlled, you may not experience too much of a difference. But it is always good to check every now and then if your intonation is correct.

rifft

Reaction score
I see you live in New Jersey, which is very close to where I live. Once the transition from summer to winter and vice versa, you will need to set up your instruments again due to the climate change. If your room is 100% temperature controlled, you may not experience too much of a difference. But it is always good to check every now and then if your intonation is correct.

This, although I would say it's more likely from the humidity changes. I usually have to do a quick fall/winter and spring/summer setup on my guitars.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If the buzz only/mostly happens on the lower frets, you just need to give the truss rod a bit of relief. New strings can't hurt either.

NcLean

Reaction score
Don't touch your bridge whrn this happens! Think about it, metal and wood can shift a fraction due to heat or humidity. If your bridge lowers 1% (huge), that''s a difference of,what, 100 micron? Do you get big fret uzz when your strings are 6% slacker (semitone)? Maybe. But what if you change the neck curve by half a percent? You'd noti ce that.
Truss rods are awesome

Latest posts