My Hellraiser experience

• Thread starter Atomic_gerbil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic_gerbil

Reaction score
Well, back in June, I had a hellraiser, straight out of the box, it had insane buzz, I hated the damn thing, and after 30 days, i took it back to GC. I then went back to 6 strings for about a month and sent that back, because I missed my B. :)() Well, I had been pretty biased against schecter due to my bad experience with them.

today was a different story. I had the urge to go to guitar center, and I had enough money to look at guitars now that my 6 was taken back. I spotted a black hellraiser, and when i picked it up, i figured "Wow, this is going to play like shit too, but might as well try it" but, to my surprise, a new employee there set the sucker up yesterday and slapped some 10-56 EB's on there (I despised EB until today too) and played a few nevermore licks on it. It played like jesus. 10x better than my old hellraiser. Now, I'm back here, GAS'ing so bad I'm about to run into a wall. I'm definitley picking one up again.

Moral of the story is don't return a guitar because it plays bad out of the box, get it set up. I learned the hard way.

Kinda pointless thread, but i had to. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I always wanna to try it.....but there no sellers of schecter in Ukraine :(

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it wasn't good idea :)
I've seen only few guitars playing great taken just out the box :)
Every has their own preferencies, so perfect or even good playability is always a matter of taste too.

Atomic_gerbil

Reaction score
Yes it wasn't good idea :)
I've seen only few guitars playing great taken just out the box :)
Every has their own preferencies, so perfect or even good playability is always a matter of taste too.

Yeah, I regret every second now. But, I got lucky, and only lost about ~40$ US from returning and shipping. But now I know this, and I learned a hard lesson, :lol:

I always wanna to try it.....but there no sellers of schecter in Ukraine :(

Surely schecter will move over to ukraine someday. I hope you get to play one! :agreed:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a hellraiser 7, although the buzzing wasn't horrendous it was enough to irk me. I took it to my tech and he leveled the frets and did some work to the nut and some trusrod tweaks and got it playing like butter.

I almost always take new guitars to my tech for a set up

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
thats always the FIRST thing i do when i bring a guitar home or buy one on the bay, set it up. Like i recently got another RGXL, and theres a trem saddle thats stripped so it wont hold a string in , and the truss rod has an end that i dont have a tool to adjust and the frets need releveld. It may play and sound like shit right now, but i know that once i take care of those issues its gonna single handedly be my favorite 6

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Brian Moore that was the exact same way. The guitar was really clunky sounding out of the box, but a little truss rod tweak and a new set of Elixirs and it was like a completely different guitar.

Once, when I worked as a tech, someone brought in a Squire Strat that had pokey frets and kept breaking strings. It was brand new out of the box, but the kid put stickers on it before ever really trying it out. I found a burr on the saddle for the B- so I put on a new saddle, filed down the sides of the frets, tweaked the truss rod and slapped on some double-boiled linseed oil and a set of D'Addarios. The kid thought at first that we somehow transplanted his stickers onto another guitar. He brought the guitar back about three months later to get another set of strings put on, happy as can be about the guitar. :shrug:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The first hellraiser I played was pretty awesome, it had a setup and stuff and sounded really creamy and smooth (I don't like that, but it didn't sound bad) and was the BCH model. 2nd one was a black one, played great, but sounded honky and was dead, it was not resonant at all. That was a piece of shit. 3rd one was another black one, this time it was pretty good, same as the 1st one. 4th one (another bch) was pretty decent, played ehh okay, nowhere near as well as my H-207 though, but that's almost impossible for an off-the-shelf guitar :lol: anyway, it sounded ok but had several finish flaws. The latest one I've played was black (ran it through the framus) and it kicked ass, it played all sorts of goodness and rocked through the framus too.

So there is a fuckton of variance to the hellraisers :lol:

shredlord

Reaction score
MY hellraiser experiance:
ordered one from soundcontrol in the uk in march.......

.....it still hasnt arrived.

Atomic_gerbil

Reaction score
MY hellraiser experiance:
ordered one from soundcontrol in the uk in march.......

.....it still hasnt arrived.

I'm sorry man :(

That's unacceptable.

The first hellraiser I played was pretty awesome, it had a setup and stuff and sounded really creamy and smooth (I don't like that, but it didn't sound bad) and was the BCH model. 2nd one was a black one, played great, but sounded honky and was dead, it was not resonant at all. That was a piece of shit. 3rd one was another black one, this time it was pretty good, same as the 1st one. 4th one (another bch) was pretty decent, played ehh okay, nowhere near as well as my H-207 though, but that's almost impossible for an off-the-shelf guitar :lol: anyway, it sounded ok but had several finish flaws. The latest one I've played was black (ran it through the framus) and it kicked ass, it played all sorts of goodness and rocked through the framus too.

So there is a fuckton of variance to the hellraisers :lol:

Thats kind of what I thought, lol

I have a Brian Moore that was the exact same way. The guitar was really clunky sounding out of the box, but a little truss rod tweak and a new set of Elixirs and it was like a completely different guitar.

Once, when I worked as a tech, someone brought in a Squire Strat that had pokey frets and kept breaking strings. It was brand new out of the box, but the kid put stickers on it before ever really trying it out. I found a burr on the saddle for the B- so I put on a new saddle, filed down the sides of the frets, tweaked the truss rod and slapped on some double-boiled linseed oil and a set of D'Addarios. The kid thought at first that we somehow transplanted his stickers onto another guitar. He brought the guitar back about three months later to get another set of strings put on, happy as can be about the guitar. :shrug:

Thats what I feel like right now, I would love to own that hellraiser I just played. :agreed:

thats always the FIRST thing i do when i bring a guitar home or buy one on the bay, set it up. Like i recently got another RGXL, and theres a trem saddle thats stripped so it wont hold a string in , and the truss rod has an end that i dont have a tool to adjust and the frets need releveld. It may play and sound like shit right now, but i know that once i take care of those issues its gonna single handedly be my favorite 6

That's what I'm going to do next time. :metal:

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
A quick schecter set-up story...

Bought my c7 Blackjack from the US, got it shipped here to Australia, held in customs for a while and i got it about two weeks after i paid for it. Brought it home, pulled it out of the box and gave it a strum...

ALMOST perfectly in tune, no fret buzz, just had to tighten up the g string a little. Setup was as i like it (not like EVH, i like to have them raised just a little higher than shredder height). I was amazed!

grimmchaos

I like beer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Every manufacturer has its share of dogs....just some have more than others. Schecter is normally pretty consitent (at least with the 20 or 30 models I've played over the years), but I'm sure every once in a while one sneaks out that was either built on a Friday at 5 or never had a proper setup.

Atomic_gerbil

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Every manufacturer has its share of dogs....just some have more than others. Schecter is normally pretty consitent (at least with the 20 or 30 models I've played over the years), but I'm sure every once in a while one sneaks out that was either built on a Friday at 5 or never had a proper setup.

HAHAH, dude! That's exactly what i heard after i took my hellraiser back! "Maybe someone didn't give a rip because it was 5 on a friday".

You just gave me an insane case of deja vu. :lol:

A quick schecter set-up story...

Bought my c7 Blackjack from the US, got it shipped here to Australia, held in customs for a while and i got it about two weeks after i paid for it. Brought it home, pulled it out of the box and gave it a strum...

ALMOST perfectly in tune, no fret buzz, just had to tighten up the g string a little. Setup was as i like it (not like EVH, i like to have them raised just a little higher than shredder height). I was amazed!

Nice! Unfortunatley, mine didn't come like that. This whole experience would have been a little less bumpy if it wasnt, but oh well. :agreed:

my loomis came set up great...
couldnt be happier.. :yesway:

:worth:

audibleE

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a Hellraiser C-1 and later a C-7. I currently have a 2004 Custom Tempest, a 006 Deluxe and a Omen 7. Now my question is... My action on the 6's has never been what I like. I've had them set up but still the action seems too high. Also, I'm feeling that if I'm playing/performing music that requires some speed, the LesPaul style Tempest is not the way I should be going.

Any suggestions besides getting my guitars setup again?

How do you like the Hellraiser models?

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I got a C7 hellraiser (black) shipped from the US nearly one year ago. I had never played one before, as there are almost no schecter dealers in germany. Anyway, i love this guitar! especially for the money it can't be beat. The neck is really thick in comparison to my other ibanez's, but it's really comfortable and i got used to it in no time. The factory setup wasn't that great, i still have a fairly high string height to avoid fret noise currently but it's by no means uncomfortable or hard to play. And i say that after years of only playing well adjusted slick ibanez necks! My only complaint is that the knobs are to fast/loose, while i prefer harder ones. The bridge PU vol knob is already starting to get a bit noisy also... I plan to upgrade electronics and let someone do the frets in the future but other than that, it's perfect!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Mine just had to lower the action a bit, then was just pure awesomeness :metal:

')