My local music scene = gay

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Yeah, we have a crappy scene. Brazil is not the greatest country musically. We have a few exceptions like Sepultura (which is also shite nowadays), Angra and Krisiun but most of the bands here are shite. We have emo in mainstream, poppy punk and indie in the underground and metal in the uber underground. A few of those metal bands are good like Threat and Mindflow but most of them are boring. So... yeah, crappy crappy scene. Though we still don´t have these deathcore bands, I pray it never gets here. Although it wouldn´t change much, it would be like trading shit for vomit.

Oh, I talked about Brazil in a whole. But São Paulo, where I live, is like indie-heaven (or hell for people like me who despise it). Great city to live, not to be a musician.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
The music scene here kinda rules. Maybe you should move. :)

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Heh, there is no 'scene' here. If you want music, you'll have to content yourself with folk or blues. There are seriously like 4 metal bands (Nemesis, Drifting, Sanktuary (K intentional), and some other one. Nemesis sounds like old Metallica, Sanktuary sounds like old Megadeth (seriously, the singer sounds exactly like Dave Mustaine) and Drifting is pseudo-doomish stuff.

Shit there is another band named nemesis. We were looking to change our name anyways

dougsteele

Doug Steele
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Melbourne Australia's metal scene is pretty good. My friend is in Ocularis Infernum, and they're pretty fucked. There's also a lot of clowns and posers and shit, bands with 18 word names and shit. But Melbourne is great when it comes to live music.

And unfortunately, it boasts a massive collection of cover bands, one of which I'm in. It's sad, but it pays bills. I just switch on autopilot, and sweep during Summer o' 69.

Reaction score
Melbourne Australia's metal scene is pretty good. My friend is in Ocularis Infernum, and they're pretty fucked. There's also a lot of clowns and posers and shit, bands with 18 word names and shit. But Melbourne is great when it comes to live music.

And unfortunately, it boasts a massive collection of cover bands, one of which I'm in. It's sad, but it pays bills. I just switch on autopilot, and sweep during Summer o' 69.

yeah there are a LOT of cover bands here, or as they prefer to be called "tribute bands".

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
My other guitarist has a herniated disk in his back and cant rock out too hard though.

got one too since my 23(L5,S1 level), but it hasn't stopped me from going berzerk on stage :hbang: in my previous band I even was the wildest when we played gigs... :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Indeed that melbourne is quite a rich city for live music. :agreed: :cheers:

And I also agree with the massive cover or tribute bands too. :squint: Yeah, I'm in one as well. Very sad indeed when bands like Kisstroyer or Bad Medicine are making more money than a heap of fantastic local talent. Oh well, at least playing Metallica covers does make some kind of cash. :wallbash:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
C'mon, don't you guys love all the "All Shall Remain Perished Beneath the Burial Along The River of 69 Poisoned Visions Lying Beside the Darkest Fall's" out there... wait for it... breakdown! :rofl:

I have no idea what the Portland scene is like. I don't go out. :lol: Could all be progressive-fusion cybermetal. Probably a bunch of indie rock crap looking at the people around here.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
In Austin, the metal scene is kinda weak. All the big bands play "indie rock."

Yup. San Antonio is where it's at. When my band moved into the co-op, the owner said, "Thank god finally! Another metal band!" :lol:

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I live in Manchester and due to the fact that it has a history of producing indie bands that are successful such as the Stone Roses, Happy Monday's, The Smith's, Joy Division/New Order, Oasis etc every idiot who reads the NME thinks it's some kind of indie mecca.

Manchester is full of pricks from London who look like Russell Brand and come here to start a band or come here to study at Manchester University and then start a band, it's over run by scenester twats whose poor excuse for music involves whining while strumming Telecasters what pisses me off the most about them is they frown upon any other form of music they don't approve of with an almost fascist derision.

brahminlead

Reaction score
C'mon, don't you guys love all the "All Shall Remain Perished Beneath the Burial Along The River of 69 Poisoned Visions Lying Beside the Darkest Fall's" out there... wait for it... breakdown! :rofl:

I have no idea what the Portland scene is like. I don't go out. :lol: Could all be progressive-fusion cybermetal. Probably a bunch of indie rock crap looking at the people around here.
Portland has Metalcore/New school hardcore bands with either camo shorts and straightedge shirts or gay scene hair. I live in the eugene area. Music scene=nonexistent.
Here it's pop-punk spazzy hardcore and metalcore bands with names like Forever Ends Today and Take Your Last Breath.
When there is a death metal band, they're usually 40+ years old, wearing a Cannibal Corpse or Deicide shirt and a leather jacket with spikes while holding on to what little hair they have left for dear life.
The one exception would be Necryptic who is more than decent and has the ex-singer of Origin, which is badass.

6o66er

Awful Jack-ass
Reaction score
PHOENIX. ARIZONA. Get me the fuck OUT OF HERE! :mad: I miss Tacoma and Seattle so much... :(

We maybe have 5 good bands in the entire state, that I'm aware of. Everything else is cookie cutter amplified white noise that makes me want to hurt the people playing it BADLY!

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
My area consists of a bunch of similarly recreated deathcore acts that are convinced they are the next big thing.

Every one of these bands needs to become a victim of genocide.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I've been trying to find some guys to jam with in my area and while my search is limited mainly to the musicians area of craigslist boy does it suck...

Everyone wants to do oldschool cover bands or oldschool music. The few metal bands I have come across were :noplease:

Mind you I'm no prize myself but shiit... what I'd give for 1 group of people who wants to do something more like the sounds I've got going on in my head.

Jalapeno

Reaction score
PHOENIX. ARIZONA. Get me the fuck OUT OF HERE! :mad: I miss Tacoma and Seattle so much... :(

We maybe have 5 good bands in the entire state, that I'm aware of. Everything else is cookie cutter amplified white noise that makes me want to hurt the people playing it BADLY!

you sir just arn't looking in the right place. Fracture Point, Autumns End, Dresden, Volatile, Cathexis, Vivicide, wynterbourne, Viraemia (technical death metal)........there are more to name

6o66er

Awful Jack-ass
Reaction score
Fracture Point I've heard and like. I'll check out the others....but I still say it's pretty damn lifeless in this city. I hate having to drive to Tucson more often than not to catch any half way decent shows.

EDIT: Jalapeno - I DEMAND to hear finished versions of your band's songs! Lol...nice work you got on the 'space page.

Perhaps there's hope for this hell-hole after all.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
Almost all the bands in my area have that ugly suffix "core" attatched to them. its all hardcore, grindcore, metalcore, corecore, corecorington, corapalooza, ect....

they dont understand concepts such as technicality, tempo changes, and songs with more than 4 chords or how NOT to rip off Job for a Cowboy.

Luckily I found a few guys who like cool stuff like harmonized sweeps and time signature changes

anyone else have a crappy music scene?

Mine is worse, it's just Hardcore, thats it, nothing else. Nothing but shaved heads, gauges and X's on wrists.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
we have some pretty stellar bands in vancouver. My only complaint is the amount of garage jam bands we have who play supernova shows and think they're big rockstars for selling tickets to 15 friends

Latest posts

')