My ltd H 307

master of the human race

Reaction score
Had this guitar for 10 years now. My only guitar I've ever owned. I'm finally gathering the courage to sand it. why? one I'm sick of the color (black) I hate veneers and it's got some battle scars from excessive use. So here's some questions. Is it better for me to just sand the shit out of it? and if so how would i go about it and 2 would it be better to use paint thinner and scrape the finish off? I'm open to color suggestions but was thinking a dark green, with a gun stock oil polish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
How are you planning to refinish it? The easiest way to remove the paint IMO is a random orbital sander. If you're planning to paint it you only need to scuff the existing paint and you can paint over the top. If you're planning to to a natural finish you may not like the look of the wood under the veneer.

Also, bear in mind that this is you're only guitar and you'll be without it for possibly a couple of months.

EpicFlail

Reaction score
^^What he said. I just did the same to my 607B. If you don't have a power sander, some 60 or 80-grit, a cheap sanding block, and a whole lot of elbow grease will take it right off. If you have a free weekend and arms of steel, you could potentially get it (the sanding that is) done fairly quickly. If you decide to do it, take lots of pictures!

master of the human race

Reaction score
Pics? Hell ya there will be pics! I'm also doing the following mods:

BKP warpig neck
BKP after math bridge
Steinberger 40:1 gear ratio locking tuners
gonna do a sick inlay on the 12th fret.
to answer the first guy I'm going to do a water stain, then take a blow torch and kind of burn it a bit, then go over the wood with gun stock oil.

Only question is... burgandy? forest green? or deep purple?

Crowned

Reaction score
Pics? Hell ya there will be pics! I'm also doing the following mods:

BKP warpig neck
BKP after math bridge
Steinberger 40:1 gear ratio locking tuners
gonna do a sick inlay on the 12th fret.
to answer the first guy I'm going to do a water stain, then take a blow torch and kind of burn it a bit, then go over the wood with gun stock oil.

Only question is... burgandy? forest green? or deep purple?

forest green :bowdown:

master of the human race

Reaction score
I was swaying that way myself, just started sanding with 60 grit, the finish is crazy thick. That gay veneer is starting to come up but after 3 hours and not much progress i need to get some sort of tool to do this for me, or maybe some polymer thinner. BTW just ordered my set of bkps, tyger covered aftermaths. I wanted a warpig in the neck but it would have cost alot more so fuck it whatever. Better than those piss poor EMG-HZs.

EpicFlail

Reaction score
1. Forest green all the way.
2. You can pick up an orbital sander at a hardware store for around $30.
3. Aftermaths = yummy.

What are you thinking of doing for the inlay?

master of the human race

Reaction score
A cow skull on an upside down cross with a pentagram encircling it all. picked up the green, its pretty. Still gonna blow torch some of it though.

master of the human race

Reaction score
well second option was Jesus's head impaled on an upside down cross but too much effort. I just wanted to do it so "impale the nazarene" could be on the headstock, and drops of blood would be the markers for 15, 17 etc... btw how do I add the pics from my phone?

asilayamazing

Reaction score
upload them first to photocruckit or something then add here.

master of the human race

Reaction score
IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0057.jpg
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0047.jpg
because I like beer.
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0053.jpg
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0061.jpg
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0058.jpg
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/didyourmom34/IMAG0060.jpg
festering in my bowels

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Just elbow grease. I've heard of people using a heat gun and then scraping it off and then sanding off the excess or using chemical strippers, but after smelling chemical stripper while someone was redoing our front door I would much rather using a sander. You could get a sanding drum attachment for a drill press to do the inner horns or use a spindle sander if you have one.

master of the human race

Reaction score
Well I'm ok with the smell, gonna be putting it outside on my balcony. It'll be the neighbors problem more than my own. I own a RYOBI sander but you might just call it a glorified vibrator. The best part about the thinner is: I put it on, I walk away and come back. I got better things to do than rub my wood.........with sandpaper.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Ryobi tools are basically a case of you get what you pay for :lol:. The chemical stripper might be a good alternative if you want to look into it.

master of the human race

Reaction score
I went out and got some, It's made with the power of oranges. Put it on 10 mins ago and it is doing it's job. Smells great too! I'll post a few pics soon of my progress

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
^very interested in this orangey killer of paint and sealer. Definitely post some progress and let us know how it works and if it's worth getting.

master of the human race

Reaction score
IMAG0067.jpg

Here's the orange stuff, It's working itself through some crazy strong polymer that takes 30 mins of sanding with 60 grit to get through 2 layers. This guitar has 4!
IMAG0065.jpg

You can see the paint and polymer it removed as i sloshed the goo around with my putty knife
IMAG0064.jpg

And here it is covered in the orange shit.

')