My neighbors...

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
So, the family that lives directly behind me has had a flood light on for the past three weeks straight. Day, evening, night. It's annoying as hell because (right now) no other light is on in their house.

For the few years they've lived here, I've rarely seen them outside. I'd say less than 10 times. I've seen them in the backyard two, maybe three times. They rarely mow their lawn and when my mom trims the hedges, she does their side, too. That's completely unrelated, but it shows how often they're in the backyard.

This light is by their basement door shining into my yard. It's not on a deck or anything, just on the ground level (their deck is up on the second or third level). Unless all of the blinds/curtains are down at night, this light is shining right in our windows. It lights up my deck, my parent's bedroom, my kitchen window, and my family room window. When I turn the lights out to watch fucked up horror movies, I don't want that shit shining in like it is right now.

So, instead of sitting here bitching and complaining every day, it's time to take action.

A) Do I go up there and ask them politely to turn the fucking light off? Well, I don't know if they even speak English. I've been disrupted while watching Golden Girls to this family blasting fucking Punjab.
B) Go unplug it? I assume it's plugged in to an electrical outlet on the outside beside the door.
C) Go up there and detach it. This would be the funniest in my opinion.
D) Rub vaseline on their windows so they can't see outside.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm starting to lean towards Randy's idea.

If I could gain access to their house, which I probably could, the options would be limitless... but I think I'll keep it reasonable for now.

F) Climb up on their roof, steal their satellite dishes, climb back down, run across the street, climb up onto that family's house, attach satellite dishes, climb down ladder, go home and sleep.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ask them to turn it off politely. Chances are, they just will. If they don't, file a complaint with the neighborhood, city, and local police. In theory (depending on your local ordinances) they have no right to disrupt your property with "light pollution". Just like they have to abide to noise restrictions. It's one thing to have a neighbor pissed about the light, it's another to have the city pissed about the light.

Though, in all likeliness, they'll just shut it off.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I just went and unscrewed the light.

I was wearing a pair of heavy duty work gloves and it still burnt my hand. Even when my hand was close and not touching the light, the gloves were starting to smoke and melt. My index finger and thumb are red and swollen.

I thought I was going to get eaten by the innumerable amount of millers.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
One of the lights were broken. I don't know it if was always like that or if another neighbor took care of it without letting me know.

I thank all of your for your advice. If I wake up and the light is back on, action E will be taken.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Fucking nice. If it was a halogen you could have just removed the bulb, rolled it around in your palms to get it oily from your skin and replaced it, so it would break next time they turned it on.

Dan

Reaction score
H) Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil- grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.

simon-pegg.jpg

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
If option A fails, option B or C will do.

H) Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil- grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.

simon-pegg.jpg

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

You've got red on you.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Fucking nice. If it was a halogen you could have just removed the bulb, rolled it around in your palms to get it oily from your skin and replaced it, so it would break next time they turned it on.

Dude, if the light melted the glove I was wearing, I was not about to roll it around in my hands. I don't think it was a halogen light, though.

Next time I'll take it out and biff it into the park across the street.