My new 5150 II's not working, think it's a tube.

• Thread starter Tawlks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tawlks

Reaction score
Hey, a few days ago I got my 5150 II, day before yesterday (it was working perfectly before) about 20 minutes into my playing the volume gradually faded and then went down to alomst nothing (like 95% volume loss), I turned it off, then came back a day later to see what I could see from looking at the tubes, they looked okay so I thought it might be a power problem or a busted lead, it worked but the same thing happened again, 20 minutes into playing and the volume went..

I had a band practice today, 30 minutes in, it went, less gradual this time, I turned it off and plugged in the flextone we had there at the studio

What do you guys think's the problem? I've tried the pencil tap test on the preamp tubes with no luck, no sound at all, I bought a new 12ax7 that will come tomorow.

Bump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Swap tubes and see if it persist. You've most likely gotten a new but faulty tube.

My new ENGL invader had a faulty preamp tube which caused the sound to get metallic, shrill and very middy after some extended playing (20+ minutes), so it can happen.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
I'm going to say it here as well, then:

Send it to a tech. :)

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Your dad won't allow it? If you don't mind me asking... Why? :scratch:

Hope fresh tubes fixes the problem, then...

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Haha. I think you're right dude but my dad won't alow it.

Will 5881s work fine (SovTek) in place of 6l6GCs made by JJ?

They should. 5881s are a 6L6 variation. Although, being a variation on your typical 6L6, ther is a lsight chance you may need to rebiase the amp.

Tawlks

Reaction score
I don't know why my dad won't let me. I think he's just pissed off that I spent the money on something I'm not completely happy with and all.

I emailed Watford Tubes to ask if I could send back the 5881s and get some 6l6GCs and slip in some cash for the price up. The next day I got some EH 6l6gcs at no extra charge. Now in my 5150, got band practice tomorow and can't wait to try them out.

Kinda prefer the EH too, smoother sounding with better bottom end.. but to be honest if one was broken in the JJ set then these will definately sound better. :)

Latest posts

')