My New Mix - Think I've had a breakthrough [Death Metal, Djent, Axe2, Superior]

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Version 1
The |FAART| Machine A by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Version 2
The |FAART| Machine B by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Version 3 (the only one without click)
The |FAART| Machine B by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hey chaps, some of you will have been following my path of failed mixing the last days and giving me a hand.

I think V2 is better, but I don't know if either is decent lol.

This is where I'm up to now and I'm quite pleased with the result. I can hear a few tweaks that might be needed but I'm gonna wait for you guys first :)

Thanks dudes.

EDIT: aaaaaand I've left the click on. Cock.

Added v3 the only with no click ahaha It has a slightly better snare sound too I think

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Ignoring the click, you're making definite progress. :yesway:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^It is :scratch:

I'll adjust and come back

penguin_316

Reaction score
Version 3...better rhythm guitar tones than new VoM album. Good stuff. I feel the kick has too much low end though....in the extreme low end 30-50 hz range.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^wow lol, huge statement there, thanks haha

And that's exactly the kinda help I'm after, thanks dude :)

bishop_

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I've napped on Fun111's sofa watching him fiddle (?) for countless hours now over the past 6 months, occasionally offering my opinion and even sometimes playing drums and it's great to hear the improvement.

I agree with all posts so far, I think this is brilliant. As nellings6 said, superb riffage and an excellent tone. Has come along way since our / your earlier stuff. Looking forward to what we come out with over the next few months!

Love you bro.

errrrrrgay????

Reaction score
^It is :scratch:

I'll adjust and come back
Yeah, the new one is also a tad loud. It's not as dramatic as my first impression, but going back and forth between the clip and some other recordings from CDs and .wav clips, it's noticeably louder. It sounds really good otherwise!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Mmmmm....

Errr..

Hmmm.

Um.

G

Gay?

Thanks do much dudes, and cheers for the contribution there Bishop, my leg biceps are killing me.

Seriously though, I love this forum.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Your guitar tone is really sick dude and it has definitely come on since even your more recent posts :yesway:

I think once you get a really tight drum sound going (and yeah, it takes ages mixing drums, doesn't it?) your mixes will be right up there. I would say work on the kick and the snare mainly. The kick sounds kind of 'bland', if that makes sense and the snare is a bit loud and has a lot of high mids to it without a lot of body. You may want to turn the snare velocity down for the death metal blasts as well.

But dude, that guitar tone. Makes me really wish I had an Axe-Fx.

P.S. I don't get how the mix is too loud. Sounds fine to me :scratch:

Chris Finster

Reaction score
This is cool and all... for sure good job in writing. Id like to say that if you blast balls deep into a compressor (be it on the mix bus or or the drum bus) with a mega fast release time, you get a super pumping effect.

Theres nothing wrong with that if you follow said compressor (higher ratio, and slower release) with another compressor to even it all out.

But with this i feel all your hard working has been superseded by a spastic mix bus (and/or drum bus) not sure which.

If im wrong on this perhaps turn your drums down in the mix, limit it less at the 2bus section and perhaps pull the drums compression back in the mix by 1-2db.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
:lol: I said that so people clicked on it, bit of cheeky phishing on my part, sorry.

Looks like it worked though :D

Honestly guys, the advice on this forum is just amazing, I'm extremely grateful to all of you. Now that I'm used to the mix a bit and I've listened to it on a few different things I'm starting to hear it for what it is a bit more and less as the product of my labour haha. I think I can get the drums a little clearer and more separate, I might have left the ambient mic too high.

I agree the snare is a little loud. I was in the process of warming it up but my EQ shapes started looking extreme and my brain went 'that can't be right', lol, alas I'll continue. I was using the Nir-Z (a bigger, warmer snare) on the first 2 and the third has the piccolo on it I think, maybe I'll go back to work on the Nir-Z.

The kick, I'm at a loss. It does sound a bit flat and 'blah' but I don't know what I can do to it. I think the level is right and on it's own it sounds pretty decent. If anyone can give me some indication with that it'd be cool.

There's a bit of a shine or shimmer missing from my master, I haven't figured that out yet.

Compression on the blasts, could you elaborate on that a little more, I don't understand what you mean :lol:

Thank for all the kind words folks :)

Tyler

Reaction score
You've come a long way in such a short time on your overall sound.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I...

:scratch:

hmmmm.

I've done another one, but I'm not sure about it.

Guitars haven't changed, bass hasn't changed.
Overheads... I might have EQ'd them just a tad.
I originally had a big mid scoop in the parallel compress and i had the OH's and HH going into it, now the ||compress is just snare, kick and toms, I've removed the mid scoop and put a high shelving filter to get rid of a bit of the hiss.

I'm posting two versions, one has a slightly different master.

Newer faart by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

New Faart by Praxis111 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
K I think the kick needs to come up a bit, anyone wanna chime in before I go back to work on it?

Bump, lol.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
I find the kick needs more click to it, and when the snare is in blast beat mode it's way loud. those are my only 2 things that I feel needs work! :yesway:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Thanks dude :)

I agree on both fronts.

')