My Parker Fly Mojo W/ Sustainiac!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys. Some of you who follow my threads or my Facebook know I recently picked up a rare Parker Fly Mojo 'Olive Burl' guitar. My shop is a Parker dealer but decided to keep this one the moment it came in, and since then it has become one of my two main live guitars. Well I just installed a Sustainiac in this thing and it's now the coolest guitar I've ever had, I could not be more excited!

I have it setup as follows (controls left-to-right): push-pull on volume knob to engage sustainer, tone knob clockwise for normal sustain, tone knob counterclockwise for harmonic sustain mode, push-pull on tone knob to engage 'mix' mode (blend of harmonic and normal), and piezo volume control remains. There are other ways I could have configured it, but this way enabled me to leave the guitar unmodified.

Words can't express how much better Sustainiacs sound and react versus the Fernandes ones. It's incredible. I played my first show with it a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. This weekend I'll be busting it out when we open for Sevendust, should be cool. ON TO THE PIC!

fly.jpg

PS: I also got another Fly in Black Satin for my other tuning, you can see the full gallery here. I'll be popping a Sustainiac in this one too soon :)

17.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
These are sick , Nick. I need to play one for sure!

TasmanSam

Reaction score
dang, thats hot! :yesway:

Question: how do you adjust the pups on those parkers? I see no screws or anything of the like, is it done from the back of the guitar?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
dang, thats hot! :yesway:

Question: how do you adjust the pups on those parkers? I see no screws or anything of the like, is it done from the back of the guitar?

Yeah they're true direct mount pickups. There is a tool on the back, but the height is set perfectly for me so I've never even tried to adjust them.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
how'd you get the sustainiac in there? I read on that tool ed romans sight you have to get the poles replaces or something..

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
how'd you get the sustainiac in there? I read on that tool ed romans sight you have to get the poles replaces or something..

No not at all. A little bit of routing needs to be done in the neck pickup pocket as the Sustainiac pickup is taller than the Parker-sized DiMarzios/Duncans, but it was no problem. The Parkers with Duncans have slightly deeper cavities also.

Sustainiac themselves installed this for me, just like they do for Parker on the Adrian Belew signature model. Even though I am a Sustainiac dealer and do installations, I didn't trust myself due to the complexity of a Parker Fly.

Well there's your problem right there. :lol:

Haha, yep.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
i have no idea how sutaining p'ups work. i know what htey do but are they considered active or passive? my main question is what pot do they wire in to? 250k or a 25k. also how much do they run?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i have no idea how sutaining p'ups work. i know what htey do but are they considered active or passive? my main question is what pot do they wire in to? 250k or a 25k. also how much do they run?

The Sustainiac is an active pickup which blends just fine with passive bridge pickups, but can also work with EMGs and the such. I do not know what kind of pot value they use, I'd have to take a peak at the Sustainiac kits I sell. I'd guess 25K.

The 6-string Sustainiac kit runs for about $219 and the 7-string one $229. They come in both humbucker and single coil sizes. Because they're active, they can be configured to have a humbucker sound even if you choose a single coil size.

They deliver 3 kinds of sustain: 1) normal - whatever notes/chords you play will sustain forever, 2) harmonic - in this mode it will provide infinite sustain of the harmonic. Depending on what notes you're fretting, it can produce different harmonic notes and 3) mix mode - a blend of the two in a way, where on high notes you get mostly fundamental with a hint of harmonic feedback, and on lower notes you get mostly harmonic feedback with a hint of fundamental.

The pickup itself is a driver which vibrates the strings as described above. The cool thing is, you can do a lot of fun things with your fretting hand and often dont even need to really pick. A hard pick attack will have the harmonic sustain come in more gradual, where as a light attack or a tap will come in instantaneously. You can also get harmonic feedback on clean tones, which is otherwise pretty much impossible.

Additionally, the Sustainiac when disengaged doubles as a really nice sounding neck pickup. Good for cleans and leads. It's not AMAZING, but I like it as much as the Duncan Jazz pickup that was there before.

jtm45

Reaction score
Awesome job on the Sustainiac!!!
I've got a Fly Deluxe and i'd absolutely LOVE to have a Sustainiac fitted but i don't know of anyone in the UK who could do the job competently and it's just way too expensive for me to even consider shipping it to Sustainiac to get it done.
I seem to maybe remember mention of Mansons here in the UK being able to do Parker endorsed work but even if they do they're a really expensive shop to have any work done on your guitar.
I think overall my Fly is probably the nicest playing and best all round guitar i've ever owned.

Do you know if there's any guitar repairers or shops in the UK that are an official Sustainiac approved fitter Nick ?

That Satin Black Fly is totally sexual :wub3:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
holy shit man, awesome guitars :metal:

ever since i got my pre-refined fly deluxe, i'm tempted to sell some of my gear/guitars to fund a mojo :lol:

these guitars are so addictive!

jtm45

Reaction score
Yeah, i'd love to get another Fly, a mahogany bodied one to give me a bit of a different tone to my Deluxe for variety.
Spotted this lovely green Mojo online the other day and an absolutely stunning Private Reserve Fly Supreme in the same store. The only thing i'm not keen on with the Supreme is the gold bridge. I really don't like the look of these gold and chrome bridges they've put on a few of the limited edition models and specials lately.
Put a regular black bridge and hardware on it and it would be perfect!!!!:yesway:

ParkerFlyMojoFlameGuitar-TransparentGreenBurst-5.jpg

ParkerPrivateReserveFlySupremeCognacStain-1.jpg

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
damnit i really really need to get ahold of a parker. i was doing some thinking the other day, and besides maybe a midrange jackson kelly, i have no need to purchase any more 6s that aren't high quality. ive been wanting one of these for a while and seeing this thread isn't making the gas any better!

so nick, they make the sustanic single coils and 7 string hums, but do they make 7 string single coils?? if so, how much? i cant drop $219+ on one right now but id probably be interested in one in the future.

again, GORGEOUS guitar. cant be said enough. bulbs recent music man gives yours a run for its money as far as my vision of the perfect guitar goes but i like the figuring of yours just a little more.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
DUDE THAT IS SOOOO NAIIICEEEE!
I love sustainers/sustainiacs too, soo much fun

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
holy shit man, awesome guitars :metal:

ever since i got my pre-refined fly deluxe, i'm tempted to sell some of my gear/guitars to fund a mojo :lol:

these guitars are so addictive!

Yeah they really are addictive. It's pretty much all I want to play nowadays, though I still enjoy my other guitars too. Also, they started making them with the old-school pre-Washburn ultra-thin necks too. The Black Satin Fly I have and the Solar Flare Mojo I have at my shop are examples of this. This Olive Burl has a slightly thicker neck, but it's still thin compared to any other guitar brands pretty much :)

Yeah, i'd love to get another Fly, a mahogany bodied one to give me a bit of a different tone to my Deluxe for variety.
Spotted this lovely green Mojo online the other day and an absolutely stunning Private Reserve Fly Supreme in the same store. The only thing i'm not keen on with the Supreme is the gold bridge. I really don't like the look of these gold and chrome bridges they've put on a few of the limited edition models and specials lately.
Put a regular black bridge and hardware on it and it would be perfect!!!!:yesway:
[/IMG]

Yeah the mahogany flys like the Mojo and Classic are awesome. I just got a Green Flame Mojo at the shop actually.

Personally I don't get pumped over the Supreme. It looks cool but the all maple setup doesn't sound as good to my ears as the Artist which is spruce or the Mojo. The Artist is by far the best sounding Parker made IMO, and that's the one I'd get if going for a mega top-end Fly. It's the best of both worlds between a Deluxe and Mojo, but on a whole other level. Simply amazing. I really hope to own one someday.

Really you can't go wrong with any of them though. I love my Deluxe and Mojo equally. My Deluxe sounds absolutely brutal. I have it tuned to A and its crazy tight, clear and aggressive sounding. Lots of snappy attack and growl with punchy bass. Bright but not thin. The Mojo being all mahogany sounds a lot warmer and thicker, but still super heavy and defined. Both of them suit my sound equally as well. I really don't have to adjust my amp settings at all when switching between the two. At most I'd turn the presence down a touch and turn the bass up a tad when switching to the Deluxe.

I will say that the Parker Seymour Duncan Parker pickups seem to have higher quality bobbins, a more solid baseplate, etc and tend to have less feedback in high-gain situations. The custom DiMarzios sound awesome though in Deluxe and Classic, and it's nothing a half-decent noisegate doesn't alleviate :)

damnit i really really need to get ahold of a parker. i was doing some thinking the other day, and besides maybe a midrange jackson kelly, i have no need to purchase any more 6s that aren't high quality. ive been wanting one of these for a while and seeing this thread isn't making the gas any better!

so nick, they make the sustanic single coils and 7 string hums, but do they make 7 string single coils?? if so, how much? i cant drop $219+ on one right now but id probably be interested in one in the future.

again, GORGEOUS guitar. cant be said enough.

Yeah IMO Parkers are as good as it gets for production guitars. Their playability, versatility, reliability, and overall quality is off the charts. They sound amazing also, assuming you pick the right model for your style/rig.

Yes I believe the 7-string one is available in single coil size also, for the same price I mentioned before :)

DUDE THAT IS SOOOO NAIIICEEEE!
I love sustainers/sustainiacs too, soo much fun

Thanks Josh :metal:

Awesome job on the Sustainiac!!!
I've got a Fly Deluxe and i'd absolutely LOVE to have a Sustainiac fitted but i don't know of anyone in the UK who could do the job competently and it's just way too expensive for me to even consider shipping it to Sustainiac to get it done.
I seem to maybe remember mention of Mansons here in the UK being able to do Parker endorsed work but even if they do they're a really expensive shop to have any work done on your guitar.
I think overall my Fly is probably the nicest playing and best all round guitar i've ever owned.

Do you know if there's any guitar repairers or shops in the UK that are an official Sustainiac approved fitter Nick ?

That Satin Black Fly is totally sexual :wub3:

Thanks man. And no I don't know anything about technicians in the UK I'm afraid.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Comparison between parker and caparison? =P

I'm getting a last 6 after my next 7 which will either be a parker or horus.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Comparison between parker and caparison? =P

I'm getting a last 6 after my next 7 which will either be a parker or horus.

You would have to specify which Parker model, tonally they all sound completely different. In terms of playability, they're both awesome. The Parker has a 25.5 scale and the Horus 24.75. Also the Parker has a carbon fiber/glass fingerboard and stainless steel frets, which makes the playing experience different than the Horus' rosewood/nickel frets. They both have fairly thin necks, with the Parker being a touch thinner. Both have world-class trem systems, though the Parker can be set in hardtail mode with the flip of a switch - and have piezos. The Flys are set-thru whereas the Horus is a bolt-on.

Basically the Parker has a lot more features and due to the carbon fiber reinforcement, is immune from warping. The model that's closest to the Horus tonally would probably be the Fly Classic (both have mahogany bodies).

The Horus is less expensive, plays great, and with a pickup swap sounds great too. However IMO if you have the means, the Parker Flys are the better guitar for my tastes. I also prefer the tone and features of the Horus HGS model over the standard Horus. Those sound amazing.