My Rico Jr Jekyll 7 Custom

• Thread starter chaosmaker911
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
Sorry to those of you expecting pics, I dont have the guitar yet, but i just ordered it. I have been looking into getting a new guitar, and was torn between a couple of options. Then i found a nearby dealer of rico jr's and played a Jekyll 6 string, and was blown away. Bernie has been incredibly awesome and helpful in making the best guitar i can imagine.

Specs so far:

7 string
26 1/3" scale
27 frets, stainless steel
Maple Neck
Mahogany Wings
Rosewood Board with ebony bindings
Diamond Inlays
2 Humbuckers, Some sort of Bare-knuckle pickups (still deciding... opinions?) with a coil tap
OFR Trem
Piezo (according to Bernie this is the first OFR made for a piezo)

Quilt maple top, still deciding on the finish, but I'm leaning towards natural with a burst, or possibly something like the Caribbean burst on his site, but with natural in the center, then red, then black

There are still a few things which will get decided when the time comes in the build process, but they are mostly minor.

Im so psyched for this guitar. Just a few months... I'll update this thread as Bernie updates me. Pics to come eventually.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you man :) It's only been about three weeks since I've ordered mine and I'm already dying for it to get here :( waiting is not fun...

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Ricos are sick dude, I'm sure you'll love it :yesway:

And Sherman has already done 2 OFR7's with piezos so this is not the first

walleye

Reaction score
Sorry to those of you expecting pics, I dont have the guitar yet, but i just ordered it. I have been looking into getting a new guitar, and was torn between a couple of options. Then i found a nearby dealer of rico jr's and played a Jekyll 6 string, and was blown away. Bernie has been incredibly awesome and helpful in making the best guitar i can imagine.

Specs so far:

7 string
26 1/3" scale
27 frets, stainless steel
Maple Neck
Mahogany Wings
Rosewood Board with ebony bindings
Diamond Inlays
2 Humbuckers, Some sort of Bare-knuckle pickups (still deciding... opinions?) with a coil tap
OFR Trem
Piezo (according to Bernie this is the first OFR made for a piezo)
sounds cool

can i ask how you decided on the scale length?

yacker

Reaction score
Out of curiosity are you working with a dealer or Rico directly? To the best of my knowledge Rico is now starting the whole piezo thing because I requested it for 2 seven string customs. One with a fixed bridge and one with OFR. I don't mean to start a pissing contest or anything though, maybe several people had made the same request and he felt the time was right. I ordered my fixed bridge version a little over a month ago and will be ordering the OFR version shortly after I receive the first.

So it looks like you will be the first to get the OFR piezo from him and I think I may be the first to get a Fixed Piezo from him.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
cool, can't wait for pics. Wow the piezo thing sounds great, wish I woulda known that before I ordered mine. I love the piezo's in my Parker.

yacker

Reaction score
Ricos are sick dude, I'm sure you'll love it :yesway:

And Sherman has already done 2 OFR7's with piezos so this is not the first

You're right on this, but I don't think Bernie knows about the Sherman builds. That said, I think the these are being directly retrofitted with the saddles at Graphtech and not by him specifically so these must be the first Graphtech manufactured Original Floyd Rose's with Piezos.

cool, can't wait for pics. Wow the piezo thing sounds great, wish I woulda known that before I ordered mine. I love the piezo's in my Parker.

Assuming all goes well with these builds I have a feeling he's going to be getting LOADS of requests for piezos on his future builds.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
I'm working with Bernie directly. The scale length came by Bernie's recommendation. He said he really likes it for 7 strings, and thinks it gives a good bit more definition to the 7th string, without affecting playability much.

As far as money goes, lets just say its a lot, but VERY reasonable. Bernie has given me a really good deal.

So for pickups, like i said, im leaning toward some Bareknuckles, but i cant decide which ones. I have heard awesome things about the warpigs, but im afraid they might be TOO heavy. I love lots of distortion, but i dont play death metal or thrash, I play progressive metal (dream theater kinda stuff). Anyone have any experience? How is the lead tone on these things?

jsousa

Reaction score
Awesome bro, ull enjoy it for sure!

Shameless addition: my NEW rico 7 is for sale, check the guitars for sale thread, I need to sell it!!!

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I got a set of Holy Divers in my Jekyll and I really dig them. They kinda remind me of the older Dimarzio's in my Parker Fly Deluxe but abit more bite. Not sure that helps you much , I don't really know how to describe them, but the combination of the pickups and the craftsmanship Bernie does, the guitar's notes just sing and sustain like crazy.

Gonna try a different set of BKP's in the 7 I'm having built, Nick (zimbloth ) will probably be the guy to ask questions . He knows his BKP's.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely ask Zimbloth about which BKP's would suit your taste. Can't wait to see some update's on this! :shred:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I got a set of Holy Divers in my Jekyll and I really dig them. They kinda remind me of the older Dimarzio's in my Parker Fly Deluxe but abit more bite. Not sure that helps you much , I don't really know how to describe them, but the combination of the pickups and the craftsmanship Bernie does, the guitar's notes just sing and sustain like crazy.

Gonna try a different set of BKP's in the 7 I'm having built, Nick (zimbloth ) will probably be the guy to ask questions . He knows his BKP's.

Yeah, definitely ask Zimbloth about which BKP's would suit your taste. Can't wait to see some update's on this! :shred:

Thanks for that guys. Yeah I can help. If I know what kind of tone you're after, your rig, style of music, etc I can definitely make an excellent recommendation.

Just looking at the make-up of the guitar, a bunch of models could sound incredible in there. The Holydiver, Warpig, Rebel Yell, Painkiller, Nailbomb, or Miracle Man all come to mind as possibilities. Just depends on what sound/style you're going for. You're welcome to contact me if you have any questions or want to seek my advice :yesway:

Also, welcome to the Rico family :metal:

Beardyman

Beardaholic.
Reaction score
Ahh dude, that burst looks great! Which BKPs did you decide on after?

')