My Rico Jr Jekyll 7 Custom

• Thread starter chaosmaker911
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
May I suggest a full review?
Man... this guitar is just... unbelievable.
One small question: you said the neck "shreds quite well". Why not "extrmely well"? Is this the super shredder profile?

PS: noob question: what exactly is a "oiled neck"?

an oiled neck is... well, an oiled neck. It's finished with some kind of oil, like tung oil, tru oil etc. This makes the necks "play" faster, since your hands don't stick to the finishing.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThorSilhouette

Reaction score
yo dude, what a coincidence that i stumbled on this thread. it IS a nice guitar thru that mark v. We must jam! We're only across the street from each other eh?

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
yo dude, what a coincidence that i stumbled on this thread. it IS a nice guitar thru that mark v. We must jam! We're only across the street from each other eh?

dude this is crazy. Im sorry i keep saying we'll jam and then not doing anything... ive been stupid busy pulling my shit together for berklee and putting a band together and whatnot. Maybe this weekend if youre around?

xxxyyy

Reaction score
an oiled neck is... well, an oiled neck. It's finished with some kind of oil, like tung oil, tru oil etc. This makes the necks "play" faster, since your hands don't stick to the finishing.

:scratch: but you have to... "reoil" it every time you play the guitar? or every month? every year?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:scratch: but you have to... "reoil" it every time you play the guitar? or every month? every year?

Not really, it hardens and solidifies just like a lacquer finish, kinda. Oil finishes will do good with a "refresh" every now and then, but we're talking years in between reapplications, if that.

For the record though, most all neck finishes should be refreshed after awhile as playing tends to degrade the playing surface. This can be either good (you'll understand if you've played a "vintage" guitar neck), or bad.

')