My rig gets smaller and smaller (Anyone else like this?)

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So at practice yesterday I just could NOT get my sound out of my amp. I figured it was one of those "bad tone days" where even though the amp is set up exactly as you left it when it was slaying, it for some reason isn't pleasing to your ears now. Not horrible, just off somehow. So I tweaked, tube changed, cab changed, yadda yadda and just could not figure it out. Then I threw my EQ pedal out of the loop and kept moving. For the band practice it worked oddly enough. Afterwards, I put the eq back in setting everything up in my normal way to deal with it the next day, as my tweak fatigue and bad tone day usually doesn't wake up with me.

Day 2
So yesterday, I came home from work and tried it again, still not quite right but I put up with it thinking it has to be me (no one else in the band noticed but I don't really trust them to rely on hearing things in my sound, obviously I spend more time listening to myself then they do). The gearlust part of my brain suggests the modded kt88 loaded Randall RM100 and kt88 loaded Recto I've been planning to buy sometime in the future, but lack of funds and knowing that everytime I'm about to pull the trigger on it the DTX wins my heart again, keeps me from giving it too much thought..but I can't help but wonder....

Day 3
I tried it again, still the same, now I'm pissed. The geargas part of my brain lusts longingly for a kt88 loaded triple recto and a modded kt88 loaded Randall RM100 and I'm waiting for the DTX to prove itself once again. So I ran through cab changes, tube changes, settings, all that, nothing helps, then I take the eq out of the loop to just hear something different to keep away the tweak fatigue..then...there it is. I have to turn the volume up a little more because with the EQ I've never had to put the amp past 2 to be clearly heard, more like 1.5 but taking the MXR out did the trick. Even though on the EQ pedal all I do is boost almost everything half a notch to give the amp a thickness boost, taking it out made it so much better. All of a sudden I don't have use for my EQ pedal anymore. The same thing happened a while back with my digitech reverb. One day I just didn't want it anymore, took it out of the loop and NEVER looked back. This makes a digitech reverb, behringer cab, ts808, and now an MXR 10 band...all things I all at once just stopped using either due to a better alternative or just not wanting it anymore.

Does this happen to anyone else? Ever had gear you all of a sudden just dropped without regret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to run chorus permanently on distorted tones, leads, everything, I think when I started I was still a bit of an 80's head, despite the bands I listened to. One day I switched off and went "What the fuck have I been doing", the tone was so much better.

I guess you could also say gain reduction, I started with very little, then one day piled it on (not an insane amount like I've seen with most Line6 users, but more than really needed), and then one day I decided to the use the crunch option when loud rather than lead channel on my Thunder 50 when I had it, and it was an eye opener.

I've been relying on my picking hand and string thickness to get a fat tone for years now, rather than being a pussy on the strings and using gain to make up for it (guess thats why I like Channel 2 on the Invader and no-one else does, I HAVE THE POWER :flex:)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
see, i just never bought the EQ. ;)

and no, my rig is pretty consistent.

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
A month ago I put a lot of gear on sale. Most is sold now.

-EBMM JP-7
-Carvin 747
-Ibanez 2077
-Ibanez SMASH BOX
-Boss MT-2
-Marshall JMP-1
-Marshall EL84 20/20
-Marshall 1922 2x12
-Line 6 PODxt Pro
-Line 6 Vetta II
-Line 6 FBV Express
-Line 6 FBV Shortboard
-T.C. Electronic G-Major
-Decimator ProRackG
-Palmer Speaker Simulator
-Proel 3U-rack
-SKB 4U-rack

It's weird. I feel kinda relieved more then I regret it. I just felt I had too much gear (and to little money)
And you know, being a noob and having all that gear wasn't really comfortable to me. But now I'm fine :)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Modelers
  • computer
  • Power amp - stereo cab
  • PA system

I use just a TAD stereo chorus for rhythm (only for the stereo field, not the effect), some reverb on clean. and some delay on lead. Simple.

Simple is better, as long as it's complex enough to do what you want.

DSilence

Reaction score
Im trying to simplify my rig so I have less decisions to make about my tone lol

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I keep adding more. Not that I need it, and not that I am unhappy with my tone, its more or less trying things out that may or may not refine my sound.

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score
All the time. I constantly convince myself I need more crap in my live rig than I do. I used to have a large pedalboard with a ridiculous amount of pedals on it, had multi effects processors, switchers, etc. When it came down to it, I realized all I ever used was a few pedals at best. I've even completely eliminated my FX Loop. I now just use this straight into my amp (on my 2 channel Rectos):

I have my footswitch with 2 loops. First loop has my RV-5 in it for a little reverb on cleans to make them feel a little less stiff. Switch over to the dirty channel and it switches to loop 2 that has my OD808/NS-2 in it. So, it makes it all possible with 1 button push instead of tap dancing on 4.

Other than that, I just have my tuner and wah as needed. I'd like a little delay for leads, but decided it wasn't even worth the hassle of bothering with the FX Loop and extra cables all for a little delay. Most venues have enough natural reverb, so I'll just step on the wah as a tone filter/mid boost most of the time. I had all these pedals and complicated FX units and switchers...just to get a couple sounds. So, I compromised on or two and eliminated the majority of the fat.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
with my pitbull head i go on and off using my bloody murder, some days it sounds better with out it, some days with it. i don't get it. so i just keep it in the chain and pop it on when i feel like it.

Reaction score
see, i just never bought the EQ. ;)

and no, my rig is pretty consistent.

Granted our styles are rather different. It'd take more than just throwing kt77's in a JSX to turn it into an extreme metal kinda amp, not much, but still needs more. Stock and without the EQ it's a little on the thin side. And I'm still keeping the EQ..as it's a very handy tool to have, the other things however...chopping block it seems. Oh yeah..I forgot to add the BBE Sonic Stomp to that list of suddenly unwanted gear

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
the KT77's, the speaker swap, the boost - the LP doesnt hurt either haha.

oh the EQ is handy, for sure! all the upgrades i've done havent had a "holy new amp batman!" effect (the most would be the TSovChaos), but getting to know the amp and how it interacts with my guitar has gotten me right where i want to be :).

I want a good recording of my rig, that's what I'm lusting after :lol:

Reaction score
the KT77's, the speaker swap, the boost - the LP doesnt hurt either haha.

oh the EQ is handy, for sure! all the upgrades i've done havent had a "holy new amp batman!" effect (the most would be the TSovChaos), but getting to know the amp and how it interacts with my guitar has gotten me right where i want to be :).

I want a good recording of my rig, that's what I'm lusting after :lol:

Now THAT'S what I want. I can't wait to hit the studio

')