MY rig of doom

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
rigofdoooom.jpg

Hell yeah :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
So, comparisons for those of us in the boonies who own a Laney but have never even seen an Engl? :lol:

Fucking sweet rig, BTW. :metal:

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
So, comparisons for those of us in the boonies who own a Laney but have never even seen an Engl? :lol:

Fucking sweet rig, BTW. :metal:

I've not actually compared the two yet, I've not touched the Laney since I got the Powerball yesterday. Once my Dad wakes up and goes back out to work i'll compare the two :yesway:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, that's some rig, but it's not "...of Doom" just yet...

You need at least 4 heads, and 6 cabs for a Rig of Doom. That my friend is a Rig of Possible Peril, and you're still a few cabs short of a Rig of Likely Danger and a head short of a Rig of Probable Endangerment.

Still got a long way to go before you got yourself a Rig of Doom.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I think I just peed a little.

Freakin' nice! If I could have any two heads for high gain, there's a decent chance I'd end up with a Laney and an Engl. What cab is that? I can't see the little badge that's on most of the high end cabs, and with the gold colored lining it looks like the cab that comes with the AVT heads. If that's the case, I'd hope you changed the speakers to something suitably awesome for those heads.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I just peed a little.

Freakin' nice! If I could have any two heads for high gain, there's a decent chance I'd end up with a Laney and an Engl. What cab is that? I can't see the little badge that's on most of the high end cabs, and with the gold colored lining it looks like the cab that comes with the AVT heads. If that's the case, I'd hope you changed the speakers to something suitably awesome for those heads.

That's an old 8412 cab that was made for the Marshall 8100 heads. It's a brilliant cab, sounds better than the 5150 cab I have and It sounded alot better than my mates Marshall JCM 4 x 12. Great cab in it's own right.

Coiso

Reaction score
The VH100R is by itself an amp of doom!
i use one with a Framus 4x12 with V30's, and the rumours of it knocking a donkey off it's leg's are true!

and it sounds awsome!

i use my vh100r with these pedals (except the jackhammer and the hush)
pokemons1.JPG

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Well i've just compared the Laney to the ENGL and here's the result.

The Powerball has a much bigger bass responce than the Laney. The Powerball shakes the floors and punches you in the chest with it's power. The Laney on the other hand doesn't have that but makes up for it with it's more open and smooth tone.

The Powerball sounds alot more compressed than the Laney by far but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm so used to the Laney and I know it inside out so I like the Laney's lead voicing at the moment but I've only just got the Powerball so I still need to do alot of tweaking. The Cleans on the Laney are much nicer as they are more 'glassy' like a Fender where as the ENGL's cleans are more compressed, but with a name like Powerball you're not really buying it for it's clean channel.

So in conclusion, the Laney gives the ENGL a run for it's money but both are awesome amps. I'll be keeping them both for sure as I've now got alot of versatility at my disposal.

I have two issues here too. The Powerball gives out alot of noise when I use the high gain channels, like theres alot of static or a crackling sound. Is this a sign of a preamp tube on its way out?

Also I use a G Major, but when I use it in the Powerballs FX Loop I don't get alot of volume. Where as when I take the G Major out I get all of that volume back. I've messed with the output and input of the G Major and the Volume of the FX loop too but nothing worked. What do I need to do?

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Well i've just compared the Laney to the ENGL and here's the result.

The Powerball has a much bigger bass responce than the Laney. The Powerball shakes the floors and punches you in the chest with it's power. The Laney on the other hand doesn't have that but makes up for it with it's more open and smooth tone.

The Powerball sounds alot more compressed than the Laney by far but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I'm so used to the Laney and I know it inside out so I like the Laney's lead voicing at the moment but I've only just got the Powerball so I still need to do alot of tweaking. The Cleans on the Laney are much nicer as they are more 'glassy' like a Fender where as the ENGL's cleans are more compressed, but with a name like Powerball you're not really buying it for it's clean channel.

So in conclusion, the Laney gives the ENGL a run for it's money but both are awesome amps. I'll be keeping them both for sure as I've now got alot of versatility at my disposal.

That's about what I figured. I'd really love to try out a Powerball or Fireball, but there's no dealer within a reasonable distance, and I'm too broke to be GASing for amps. I'd never sell my GH50L though. :D

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score

You need at least 4 heads, and 6 cabs for a Rig of Doom. That my friend is a Rig of Possible Peril, and you're still a few cabs short of a Rig of Likely Danger and a head short of a Rig of Probable Endangerment.

:rofl: +eRep dude :yesway:

LilithXShred

Mah Kitteh doez Coke
Reaction score
Also I use a G Major, but when I use it in the Powerballs FX Loop I don't get alot of volume. Where as when I take the G Major out I get all of that volume back. I've messed with the output and input of the G Major and the Volume of the FX loop too but nothing worked. What do I need to do?

Hmm, as far as i remember there is an option where you can set up the output range. And there is the Volume Boost. The G-Major runs with -6dB (per default on a lot of presets) and when you kick in the boost it goes to 0dB. I have 0dB on all presets, i use my second master volume for KICKIN' IT :D

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet rig, Steve. :yesway:

Jesus, Karl... :rofl:

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
very nice amps yiu have !!!i was wondering what brand of tubes & if they are 6l6's or el34's in the laney

going to buy a gh50l today 1299$ isn't to expensive for one i think.

Freakin nice ENGL ...Way to broke for buying one :( lolol

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a Quad set of Harma 6L6's in the Laney. They're pretty decent valves, I've not had much experience with different brands of valves as i've never really needed to change valves all that much but the Harmas do the job well.

')