My search for a 5 string Bass....

• Thread starter Killer64
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Killer64

Death Metal Machine
Reaction score
I have been getting into basses lately because I see it as an opportunity to become a stronger guitar player if I was able to get used to the longer neck and play without a pick. I am looking for a 5 string bass, and the bass in this picture is the one I have been trying out lately. Its the Ibanez SRA305 that my local Guitar Center has in their store. Whenever I pick it up and play with my fingers, it plays so easily and this is coming from somebody who spent years as a guitar player! :eek: Ibanez has this bass listed for $619 on their site but my local Guitar Center is selling one for $449 :hbang:. Is this really that good of a bass or are there other 5 string basses I should check out?

P.S. It will take a while for me to get the money for one of these, I am trying to start teaching guitar lessons so that I won`t be a poor college kid anymore...:wallbash:

SRA305IPT.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

malice

Lurker
Reaction score
I don't know that particular bass but I own two Ibanez basses - K5 and SR706 and I've played a couple of other Sound Gears. I liked them all. If you've played it and you like it then go for it! If you ask ten different bassists for a recommendation you'll probably get ten different answers :).

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
i suggest to try.YOU must choose,so YOU must try.

31392_123673654326082_100000503435755_252387_5768784_n.jpg

Normally I'd say this too, but he asked for suggestions... there are a lot of 5-strings out there, he can't try all of them :D

Personally, I'd advise the OP to look for more Ibanezes, their basses are killer. If you can stretch to the BTB series they're fantastic.

Killer64

Death Metal Machine
Reaction score
Ibanez is the best choice from what I have seen for playability and price. I heard a lot about Spector basses because Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse uses a Spector but they are probably too expensive.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Ibanez is probably going to be the best choice for what you are looking for. The SR(A)300 is a good choice. You may also consider the SRX355 if you can find one, or an SR405/505. The 505 is often findable for about $300, used.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Schecter makes solid 5ers in that price range too. And it's worth trying out the Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz V too.

Killer64

Death Metal Machine
Reaction score
Im definitely going to guitar center when I can to try out these suggestions. I just came back from playing a talent show and played death metal to advertise guitar lessons so I can start saving up for a 5 string bass. I didnt get anything, but got a student or two interested in taking guitar lessons from me so it was a success.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I would nerd out on bass options, read reviews etc... you can probably get a way better bass used with patience and research. I never buy anything from GC.

I used an Ibanez SR 885 back in the day (late 90's model, saved for months and months working my first job for it) and thought it was great at the time, even though I had every control on it maxed out to get my basic sound. Years later I realized it was on the low end of mid grade basses tonewise when I had friends playing through my same rig and getting like 40% more volume. Maybe they make them better now though.

I'd check out 35" scale basses too. Could be a stretch for your hands at first but I think they help the B string come out with a little more clarity.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Ibanez is the best choice from what I have seen for playability and price. I heard a lot about Spector basses because Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse uses a Spector but they are probably too expensive.

The high end ones are pretty expensive but there are some cheaper models too, I've played a couple and they were a bit meh really... I prefer Ibanezes still.

Ibanez EDA 905
61553EDA905_1.jpg

OMG YES, I'd love to try one of these. Pity they're discontinued, I bet they're amazing.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
OMG YES, I'd love to try one of these. Pity they're discontinued, I bet they're amazing.
They look cool, but sound worse than normal since they are made out of plastic.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
Go for it. I don't mean this to sound derogatory or anything, but soundgears are the guitar player's bass.
I personally can't stand them, but every guitar player I've hung out with who had a bass, as well, had a soundgear. For what reason, I don't know.

Anyway, if you like it, check out craigslist and eBay. I don't usually buy from GC unless I can't find it somewhere else.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Go for it. I don't mean this to sound derogatory or anything, but soundgears are the guitar player's bass.
I personally can't stand them, but every guitar player I've hung out with who had a bass, as well, had a soundgear. For what reason, I don't know.

Anyway, if you like it, check out craigslist and eBay. I don't usually buy from GC unless I can't find it somewhere else.

Guitar players seem to get along with the uber tiny necks and tighter string spacing on these more it makes the transistion from guitar to bass alot easier. I dont mind playing them but when given a choice ill take my warwick over em everytime.

Killer64

Death Metal Machine
Reaction score
If I buy it off the internet I am thinking either eBay, Amazon, Musicians Friend, etc. Heard some things about people being murdered when using craigs list so I tend to be a bit skeptical of that website :ugh: .Last I bought from Musician`s Friend was years ago when I got my BC Rich KKV, their listing of the guitar said it would come with a case but instead they just stuck the guitar in a box and shipped it to me. I was mad when I pulled out a guitar like that and a part of the headstock was chipped off because of somebody`s carelessness :mad: . If I buy it off the internet I really need to make sure the bass comes with a protective case so as not to damage the body.

BASSMAN

BASSMAN
Reaction score
SCHECTER makes some bad a## shi* Iv got one, a omen5 DS and lat me tell you thir nice and the schecter omen 5 looks just like the ibanez sra305 but if you like that ibanez you can get it new for 300 or less.. Hope this helps ......Bassman

Reaction score
Here's MY suggestion.
STEAR CLEAR OF IBANEZ when it comes to basses. I just don't like them.
If you like smooth playing check out some of the neck-thru options on the Schecter Stilettos. Make sure it feels good in your hands and it plays well for you. It's all personal preference in the end.

So that's my contribution, hope it helps.

Latest posts

')