My search for a 5 string Bass....

• Thread starter Killer64
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Here's MY suggestion.
STEAR CLEAR OF IBANEZ when it comes to basses. I just don't like them.

Don't tell others to steer clear of Ibanez just because YOU don't like them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with their basses. Judging from the examples I've played, they're a lot better than lots of others at this price.

Don't try and discourage the OP from them. If you're gonna criticise, post something objective.

You said yourself "it's all personal preference".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Been suggested already but i'll throw in another vote for BTB

neck thru, better bart pickups than the average Soundgear (Bart MK2's vs MK 1's)

easier to sit and play without a strap, feels pretty comfy and well balanced, even i'm gunna for a BTB after having gone through a run of many bases. i always ended up back at Ibanez and it was always a toss up between SR and BTB. if the MK2's were in the SR i would have gone for them actually, but sound won out and i am gunning for a BTB when i have the cash

ixlramp

Reaction score
Ibanez BTB, 35" scale, more ergonomic and balanced on a strap or sitting, more massive, neck-through construction and wider stronger neck for better tone, very shallow neck, super-deep cutaways. Top-loading bridge with a sharp break angle over the saddles. Amazing value tone monsters, i've owned 2 6 string BTBs in a row.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I think Ibanez makes some awesome basses for the price. They play really easily.

Make sure you get one of the better Ibanez's though.. at least the SR 300+ series. My dad owns a Gio SR and its pretty horrible; but granted it was only $150 so can't expect much.

Outside of Ibanez, maybe look at Carvin 5 strings. Best playing bass i've ever seen, but obviously hard to find and usually have to order online. Its worth it though!

(I am going thru a gear shuffle right now, but I plan on owning two Carvins and one Ibanez SR as a cheap backup in the end)

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
You could get one of these:

califcustom4-5_bass_dvs_pop-e4eb8a316f0a63066bbb3ebda2d4bbc1.jpg

The Schecter California Custom 5

I was lucky and got mine for like 400$ (In Norway, mind you) in mint condition and it's amazingly well put together, around the quality of my prestige Ibby almost.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Killer64, I'm thinking you might already have your answer, you sound pretty psyched on the Ibby you mentioned in your first post. Ibanez makes pretty good basses and none of us know your musical preferences like you do.

By all means, check out other basses, but if the one you mentioned originally felt really good in your hands you might not want to add extra errands/opinions lest you second-guess what your ears and fingers may have told you the first time you picked up the Ibby.

I'd say go for the SRA305.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I still think that the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 (or that California Custom listed above... I had one and it was an amazing bass, but they're discontinued!) kick the BTB's ass. 35" scale, 3-band EQ, much more aggressive and "clearer-sounding" pickups, and plenty of tone shaping to bring them in line or make them fit into whatever music you need.

BASSMAN

BASSMAN
Reaction score
Ibanez win thay came out was cheep made and all because over the years went up in $$$$$ dont mine thay r good thay suck if you go to sell them you will see you dont get shit out of them .that right there tells you you somthing and yes i think..

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Ibanez win thay came out was cheep made and all because over the years went up in $$$$$ dont mine thay r good thay suck if you go to sell them you will see you dont get shit out of them .that right there tells you you somthing and yes i think..

Holy hell. I hope English isn't your first language, man. Because if it is, well... :ugh:

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
I have a Cort Action V bass. I picked it up for on Ebay for around a hundred bucks. It has a 34" scale, and the pickups probably aren't that great (but the bass sounds great through my amp). The bass works really well for me. I have the blue model, and love the looks of it.

The headstock was chipped during shipping because the store just put three boxes around it. I was able to negotiate a something like 25 percent back for that. It is pretty small, so I am just going to fill it one of these days.

The $400 basses are probably somewhat better, but you are better off just playing something. I love playing my bass, and it has made me a better guitar player and strengthened my fingers.

The Norsemen

A Viking
Reaction score
Go for it. I don't mean this to sound derogatory or anything, but soundgears are the guitar player's bass.
I personally can't stand them, but every guitar player I've hung out with who had a bass, as well, had a soundgear. For what reason, I don't know.

This.
These basses are made for guitar players.
Lots of that here. The bassist in alot of bands in my town is a guitar player who plays bass because a band beeded a bassist.

I like the way they feel. But my bassist really doesnt.

Hankey

Reaction score
This.
These basses are made for guitar players.
Lots of that here. The bassist in alot of bands in my town is a guitar player who plays bass because a band beeded a bassist.

I like the way they feel. But my bassist really doesnt.

I think this has to do with the combination of the thin necks and short string spacing on SR's. I started out on guitar and started playing bass after the bass player in my friend's band quit and they needed someone to fill in. I play Soundgears, mostly because I love the way they play. The string spacing is ideal for my playing style (with pick mostly). I also like the sound and look of the Soundgears, so that's another plus...

')