My Sweep Picking Attempt

• Thread starter DeathMetalDean
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score

It's not the first time it's been discussed here. In fact, in another thread a few months back, a few of us actually agreed that John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis are pretty sloppy cheaters when it comes to sweeping.

Jeff Loomis can do perfect sweeps sometimes, but on This Godless Endeavor there are certainly some 'cheap sweeps'. I've never seen or heard John Petrucci sweep the way it's meant to be done, I just hear sloppy mess. It's a shame, because it's probably the only thing he's weak at.

matty2fatty

Reaction score

ha, I was all set to cry foul that you're picking on JP, but you're right, that was pretty sloppy. He's one of my favorite players, but I don't know why he feels he has to do those silly runs at the end of every exercise, or how he thinks people can learn when he's playing a million miles an hour. It'd be like taking driving lessons on an F1 circuit.

As a side note, I wonder if him and George Lynch have ever had a flex off?

DeathMetalDean

ss.org Shredder
Reaction score
G maj
---7-10-7-----7-----------------
----------8--8-------------------
-----------7---------------------
D maj
---15-17-15----------17------------
-------------16---16------------------
---------------15---------------------

C maj
---12-15-12----------12------------
-------------13---13------------------
---------------12---------------------

Whenever I do them do I alternate pick the high notes or do I do legato? lol cuz it doesn't really work if it's down up down and then going up past the string :lol:

Demeyes

Reaction score
Whenever I do them do I alternate pick the high notes or do I do legato? lol cuz it doesn't really work if it's down up down and then going up past the string :lol:
I generally do them legato which is how I think it should be done, but there are players who will pick another upstroke on the turn around of the shape. My band mate does it, it means you don't have to avoid the string if you are going through the shape again. I hope that makes sense? There are different approaches to how to do arpeggios. Some guys don't pick at all when descending, they tap all the notes with the left hand, other guys (like Impelliterri) alternate pick all the notes on the descend which is crazy to me.

This. Frank Gambale is probably the tightest sweep picker in the world.

He's super clean alright. He's one of those guys that always makes my jaw drop when I watch him playing.
Interestingly, the shapes he is talking about is something I recently started doing in my own lead playing. The shape is something I picked up from Final Fantasy 7 music!

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
I've read through this thread and I think everyone has given him good advice on sweeping. However, I'm extremly surprised that the term "shape" has been used throughout.

Deathmetaldean:

by using "shapes" you're gonna set yourself up for a lot of problems in the near future. When I go to a guitar store and see kids "meed-meedly-ing", every time they sweep it is either some odd form of either a C Maj 7 or Cm7 arpeggio. It's always played after some sort of chug-chugga riff that is not necissarily in the same key. I'm going to assume you don't want to become one of these.

I'd suggest learning about arpeggios and chords. The boring stuff. Once you learn it you can apply it to anything. By just learning shapes you are limiting yourself and cheating yourself.
Learn sounds!

just my 2 cents though.

Reaction score
Nah, Petrucci is a fairly sloppy sweeper. It's a big mess off noise inbetween the first and last note alot of the time live, it doesn't help the amount of gain and delay he uses - it means your muting has to be perfect.

Dunno about Loomis though, he's pretty damn clean considering the amount of gain he uses.

SuperSnake2012

5/7 stringer
Reaction score
I was at that event from that Youtube clip. Sterling was being a fucktard and being really annoying. :wallbash: He was also playing a baritone while Petrucci was playing in standard tuning. It got really annoying to hear his out of key noodling all the time :scratch: Especially if they tried to play together...

')