My upcoming Blackdroid

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I got more pictures in:

Photo311.jpg

Photo312.jpg

Photo314.jpg

Photo315.jpg

Photo317.jpg

Photo318.jpg

Photo319.jpg

Photo316.jpg

:hbang:

I love the fret work, also the finish is totally bad ass :agreed:

Looking forward to see the final result :hbang:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
it´s Sipo, but i don´t know where it´s from. he gets it from a local mill, so i´m inclined to think it´s local wood too.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
The guitar isn't even in his hands yet. There's a million pics of Blackdroïds on SS.org alone, and they were taken by their owners. For similar finish and fingerboard, check out GOTM November - it's on the first post.

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the Difference between Sipo and Sapelli then? i thought Sipo was a shorted name for it :scratch:

Sapelli is actually Sapele, but is sometimes spelled as "sapelli". It's from Africa as well and is a mahogany look-a-like and usually has a lustrous ribbon like grain structure. African mahogany has the same grain structure too. Truth be told, african mahogany, sapele, and sipo look almost identical to each other. If you had 3 pieces in front of you you might end up guessing as to which they are.

I'm going to end up getting some sapele and sipo just to see how they're like in relation to african mahogany. Right now I think african mahogany is the best looking mahogany out there. It's lustrous as well, but the grain structure is mostly straight. They all cost about the same too.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
sipo and sapele/sapelli are different species of mahogany (mahogany is a class/family of woods), and they are quite different from most mahogany types. the typical mahogany you see in production guitars are the cheaper types, and are the ones people usually think about. Sapele is praised as being one of the most musically superior species of mahogany, and doesn´t sound anything like the cheaper types. Sipo is alot more expencive than sapele (it´s really really expencive!), and has a super-tight grain. which brings me to the grain. you can clearly see a difference when you compare the different types of mahogany, but i agree that i probably wouldn´t be able to tell which was which. but i would be able to see that they were different.

Patrick has been using Sapele for some time now, and has moved on to Sipo. he´s got his reasons, and i trust those reasons. the guy knows his wood!

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score
sipo and sapele/sapelli are different species of mahogany (mahogany is a class/family of woods), and they are quite different from most mahogany types. the typical mahogany you see in production guitars are the cheaper types, and are the ones people usually think about. Sapele is praised as being one of the most musically superior species of mahogany, and doesn´t sound anything like the cheaper types. Sipo is alot more expencive than sapele (it´s really really expencive!), and has a super-tight grain. which brings me to the grain. you can clearly see a difference when you compare the different types of mahogany, but i agree that i probably wouldn´t be able to tell which was which. but i would be able to see that they were different.

Patrick has been using Sapele for some time now, and has moved on to Sipo. he´s got his reasons, and i trust those reasons. the guy knows his wood!

Yea, there's a clear difference between those three types in the way that they look for sure. The place where I buy wood sells sipo and african mahogany at the same price per board foot. Sapele is actually $2 more. Perhaps supply and demand has changed recently to make sipo less expensive.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

Yea, there's a clear difference between those three types in the way that they look for sure. The place where I buy wood sells sipo and african mahogany at the same price per board foot. Sapele is actually $2 more. Perhaps supply and demand has changed recently to make sipo less expensive.

that might have to do with how close you are to the place where the wood came from, and the quality rating of the specific slabs of wood. Patrick told me the price difference in the sapele and sipo he buys, and trust me when i say it´s a huge difference per square meter.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
^ as far as i know the reasons he has for using Sipo is that it soaks in his distress finish more than sapelle, making it look more organic and well..Raw and industrial? :lol: also that sipo is a bit lighter IIRC? rather than just being the price fact..? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Reaction score
^ as far as i know the reasons he has for using Sipo is that it soaks in his distress finish more than sapelle, making it look more organic and well..Raw and industrial? :lol: also that sipo is a bit lighter IIRC? rather than just being the price fact..? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Having had a scientific explication from him many time :lol:

If you know the reasons, then you got it all wrong.... :D

Weight can be the same, I guess its wood selection as he explained in a previous thread of a customer who bought a baritone 6 string......

About the soaking :scratch: I dont think so :lol:

SIPO:

blackdroidguitars-2.jpg

Sapeli

Hufschmid-4.jpg

sapele, and sipo look almost identical to each other. If you had 3 pieces in front of you you might end up guessing as to which they are.

There is a clear difference in figurine from what I see....

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Having had a scientific explication from him many time :lol:

If you know the reasons, then you got it all wrong.... :D

Weight can be the same, I guess its wood selection as he explained in a previous thread of a customer who bought a baritone 6 string......

About the soaking :scratch: I dont think so :lol:

SIPO:

blackdroidguitars-2.jpg

Sapeli

Hufschmid-4.jpg

There is a clear difference in figurine from what I see....

Mmmmm...it looks so DAMN HOT lol......ahem...excuse me for a moment while I go to the bathroom to "relieve" myself :lol:

Kick ass work as always Patrick :yesway:

Latest posts

')