My (Very Ambitious) First Build, Complete Picstory! Instant Gratification FTW!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solstafir

Reaction score
A) how much does it weight? :p
B) what does it sound like? viideooooooosss!!

Reaction score
This may be a noob question:

Why did you route two channels in the neck on either side of the truss rod route?

Thanks,
Gordon

MaxStatic

Reaction score
My eyes were in no way prepared to view such awesomeness this morning. I feel they have ruptured some vital organ in my brain.

Totem_37

Earth's Yellow Sun
Reaction score
Epic guitar is epic... impressive work in all parts. The case however... weird color choice.
True enough. They're my favourite colours for some weird reason and I knew they would stand out like crazy, so I said hey, why not? I'm a bit eccentri like that I guess.

Absolutely incredible work man, there are so few things on that guitar that I'd choose myself, and yet it's still immensely appealing - great stuff! One of the things I definitely would choose is that stunning spalt - love it when you get an almost cartoonish figure like that.
Ya I dig that little "ghost" figure I have embedded in there. I'll upload a closeup of him

That thing is drop dead gorgeous, dude. Can you post pics of the backside? All the pics of the back you've posted are before it was complete. I'd like to see what your cavity covers and neck joint and everything look like.
On the way!

This is fucking unreal.

what the FUCK do you do for your day job?
NEVER MIND. QUIT IT.

NOW.
I work as a part time guitar tech for Long & McQuade. Although lately, work has been drying up a tad. If anyone lives in the GTA, feel free to go to the Bloor or North York store and advocate on my behalf for them to give me more shifts! :wavey:

Not to discredit the OP but you'd need to make an extremely playable guitar before you make such a pivotal decision :lol:
This is very true. To be fair, this is an extremely playable guitar, and I was very patient with all aspects of the construction, so it did turn out very well. However I had access to a very well equipped shop as well as an excellent wealth of luthiery knowledge (Tony Karol) which helped more than I can say.

A) how much does it weight? :p
what does it sound like? viideooooooosss!!
It weighs 14 pounds without the case. Not light. Hopefully once I take the neck down a tad it will be a bit lighter.
I don't have any vids yet, hopefully soon. Apparently I'm going to be interviewed for a TV miniseries called "guitar picks", which talks to musicians, guitar collectors, builders, etc. about their love for guitars and instruments that mean a lot to them. I'm going to be talking a lot about ERGs and whatnot, since most people just want to talk about their old Gibsons. I'll give ss.org a shoutout :p. I'll keep everyone updated with how that develops. We're filming on Monday.

Carbon fibre reinforcement rods.
^This

IMG_0174.jpg

Here's my Spalted Ghost (Spalty the Djenty Ghost?)

DSC05095.jpg

DSC05094.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

DSC05086.jpg

The guitar's name is Inga. The cat's name is Darth Vader. Seriously.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
I Love that more and more people are making their own instruments on here!

I think it's that so many people see others building on here that they don't feel too frightened to start out. If there were 1 or 2 builders it may be different. But ss.org has like 20 builders now :lol: (some for personal use and some to try and sell)

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST HOLY JESUS CHRIST

>Explorers are my favourite body shape
>I'm saving for an 8
>No pictures or evidence of 8-string explorers exist
>You've built one and it looks amazing
>mfw

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
A. Maz. Ing first build!!!!!! I can't even begin to describe how awesome the inlay work on the trussrod cover and fretboard are! And that flame on the neck!! I still can't believe this is your first build. And those bed sheets?!?! SUPER jealous. You're going places man, we need more. :metal:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Man that thing is sick in every god damn way possible. Awesome work.:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's my buddy, and former co-workers amazing build right there folks! That weighs about the same as or close to a double neck. :D

>No pictures or evidence of 8-string explorers exist

Not true. I have a pic of Mårten Hagstrom's LACS Destroyer/Futura 8, and I can assure you, it does indeed exist.

')