My WG587 showed up a day early too! Pics & initial review inside

• Thread starter CGord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CGord

Reaction score
wg587-01.jpg

wg587-02.jpg

wg587-03.jpg

Initial impression out of the box: wax residue on switch screws & back plate, bridge about 3 feet off of the body, dab of glue visible on nut, neck pup cranked down so tight I thought it might be broken. Sizable amount of orange peel visible in spots, depending on the lighting angle. Grover tuners! Thin neck, I like the neck. I try not to look at the headstock.

It's acceptable for a $99 guitar; much over $150 & I'd have been wanting better fit & finish.

Initial playing impression: got bridge where I want it, pickups where I want them, & tuned it (drop A). The low A needs to be intonated, the rest are fine. I'll swap strings out on it pretty quickly, I bought a 3-pack of 010-046's & a 3-pack of 060's, those will go on it when I'm ready to detune some more.

The pickups are surprisingly low output; I will have to alter all of my tone patches & save them seperately for this guitar. bulb's patch sounds great on it, as expected. My other patches, they sound like half the gain is gone. That really surprised me. The bridge pickups in my other guitars are all pretty hot (SD SH-6 Distortion, SD Dimebucker, EMG 81), & even the stocker in my Squier '51 is hotter.

This will be the guitar that I try DiMarzio's on; from what I've read, I'll go Air Norton in the neck, still unsure of a bridge pup. I'll call Washburn tomorrow & see if they can tell me the body wood from the serial number.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
All these Washburn threads are making me rethink my Ibanez brand loyalty. Congrats on the great deal (even after you make all the necessary mods it'll be cheaper than a new 7321).

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me know what they tell you, as the guy I got pretty much went "I don't know, could be alder or basswood, the spec sheet we have says basswood but I think the newer ones were alder". He also said he couldn't look it up by serial number as they don't have that information...

It's also interesting that there is no orange peel in my finish... guess it was a bad day at the paint booth for yours :lol:

Clydefrog

Reaction score
As to the patch thing, yeah, when I went from my 7421 with an Evo in the bridge to the 7621 swirl with a Blaze Custom, it seemed as if my patches suddenly lacked a clear bit of distortion. Had to adjust them for it.

Now that I have a 7620 with an EMG 81-7 coming in, I'll probably have to roll of the distortion again.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
Let me know what they tell you, as the guy I got pretty much went "I don't know, could be alder or basswood, the spec sheet we have says basswood but I think the newer ones were alder". He also said he couldn't look it up by serial number as they don't have that information...

It's also interesting that there is no orange peel in my finish... guess it was a bad day at the paint booth for yours :lol:

no orange peel on my grey one, still waiting on my red one tho. Great pics dude hope you enjoy the new toy

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Issues aside, it's still an incredible deal for $99. There's no way in hell you could buy that guitar piecemeal from different dealers for cheaper. Hell, just the Grovers alone are worth almost half that. Amazing score for the buck.

Btw - is the headstock that hideous? pics or links? I'm too lazy to search...:)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Issues aside, it's still an incredible deal for $99. There's no way in hell you could buy that guitar piecemeal from different dealers for cheaper. Hell, just the Grovers alone are worth almost half that. Amazing score for the buck.

Btw - is the headstock that hideous? pics or links? I'm too lazy to search...:)

Definitely worth the money. There's a closeup of the headstock in my picstory http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24371. Personally, I sort of like the headstock.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
Thats the same one I have. My first 7 back when they were 200. Although mine didnt have any of the problems of yours. My neck also isnt very thin, or maybe just not shaped to my liking. But its not a bad neck. Mine was pretty much quality all the way. Mine is alder, the newer ones might be something else.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
Sweet!! Kinda wish I ordered the red one now :lol:

Im jealous all you guys got yours before me though :lol: Mine shipped today :D

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
:fawk: Congrats, dude! I want to get another 7 for that money, but it's more expensive the shipping here than the guitar :lol:

seven_stringer

Reaction score
If you don't like the peghead mod it. It wouldn't be too hard to do. Here is a quick mockup I did in Paint to show one possibility.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Washburn WG587 mod.JPG
    Washburn WG587 mod.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 82

CGord

Reaction score
That does look much bettah, but I won't be removing wood any time soon. Changing pickups is the extent of modding that I'm comfortable with. :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool clip, that sounds tight! :hbang: Nice guitar too, for the money, that is a very nice 7. I've always liked those Washburn 7s and i've been tempted buy one myself. :agreed:

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
my red one came today...well i cant give this one the same review, the finish was full of oragen peel, has a chip in the headstock (not big) and the neck were it joins the body onthe low b string side is not level inthe pocket...im thinking too much paint left inthe pocket or somthin...im tearing into her now

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
my red one came today...well i cant give this one the same review, the finish was full of oragen peel, has a chip in the headstock (not big) and the neck were it joins the body onthe low b string side is not level inthe pocket...im thinking too much paint left inthe pocket or somthin...im tearing into her now

Not sure what you mean by 'not level' but these do have neck tilt so the fretboard does not sit parallel to the body, if that's what you're talking about.

donnyb373

udluz2
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'not level' but these do have neck tilt so the fretboard does not sit parallel to the body, if that's what you're talking about.

if you look at the body were the neck sits in it, then look at the amount of maple you can see inbetween the body and the fret board this is what im talin about....

')