N(42 year old)GD

• Thread starter rareform707
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rareform707

Reaction score
so my parents were talking to one of their friends, and he mentioned to them that he had a guitar he wanted me to fix up...so i call the guy and ask him to drop it off and tell me what he wants me to do...i open the case and discover........

body.jpg

a 1967 fender telecaster!

neckheel.jpg

it checks out...
so he recieved the guitar in this condition...no hardware at all, except for these well installed, obviously aftermarket grover tuners :lol:

tuningmachines.jpg

anyways he wanted me to restore it to playing condition, and then he was going to sell it and give me a good chunk of whatever he made. i looked the guitar over and well...its in rough shape to say the least!
more pictures...

neck.jpg

backofneck.jpg

body1.jpg

backofbody.jpg

the neck is in good condition...just needs to be cleaned, and the frets need to be recrowned...probably needs an entire refret sooner than later, but im not going to worry about that at this point. oh and new tuners, ha!
however i cant even begin to explain all the problems i found with the body :scratch:
two huge cracks in the base of the body, the routing job of a beaver :lol: which includes a les paul esque switch cavity?! and a cavity for a humbucker between the two stock pickups?! in addition it looks like whoever was doing the mods made more room in the neck position for a humbucker (just my opinion)...and theres a second hole for a jack :nuts:

inputs.jpg

to top it off the finish is stripped off, but the parts of the body covered by pickguards, hardware, or the trem are still partially/fully finished. so these covered parts of the wood are raised from the rest of the body... A+ work :noway:
anyways i came to the conclusion that im gonna scrap the body, and need to buy a new body if i want to rebuild it with decent quality. i called the guy and told him and he said it wasnt worth that much to him, so i could have it! anyways i dont have a 6-string right now, so i think ill follow through with restoring it...just a with new body :yesway: kinda sad to say that but i honestly dont think i could make this one look pretty at all. if anyone wants the body, for whatever reason, pm me! i dont think i even want to keep it...however if any of you guys think it could be done with this body, let me know...many of you have more experience than i do :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
it is in a sad condition, but i am sure you can do a few things or 2.

if you need some inspiration look at this website : Bravewood guitars Homepage there is a section on refurbishing / repairing guitars / basses, maybe yu can draw some idea from there.

Otherwise the neck only could be worth a few $$$

is the body original?

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
theres too much history in that for you not to restore it , it would be alot of work, but it's worth it.

rareform707

Reaction score
it is in a sad condition, but i am sure you can do a few things or 2.

if you need some inspiration look at this website : Bravewood guitars Homepage there is a section on refurbishing / repairing guitars / basses, maybe yu can draw some idea from there.

Otherwise the neck only could be worth a few $$$

is the body original?
yes sir, body is original...but i planned on keeping the neck at least, and go from there :scratch:

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
yes sir, body is original...but i planned on keeping the neck at least, and go from there :scratch:
If you restore it you'll be able to get a whole lot more enjoyment/money out of it than just using the neck.

Collectors buy these type of things for $10k+ regularly.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
COOL...from what i have gathered, the best thing to do is to blank all the "holley parts" with the same wood that the body is made of. these must be really tight. you may have to make sure the holes in the body are of a better shapes / quality than they currently are (ie rout them out with an electronic router)

after that it is all about re-drilling..etc...

i think you can also find authentic pots / condo..etc..from the 60s on the web, they maybe be pricey, but ....

sorry if i have pointed the bliming obvious!!

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
IMO, if you're gonna keep this thing, better off just getting a new body and working from there. If I were you, I wouldn't go through the trouble restoring that body :lol:

rareform707

Reaction score
If you restore it you'll be able to get a whole lot more enjoyment/money out of it than just using the neck.

Collectors buy these type of things for $10k+ regularly.
i know! grrr i was jacked at first to get a chance to restore a vintage guitar like this, but the more i checked out the body...:squint:

i havent given up on it yet though!...im going to check out how much all the parts are gonna cost on tuesday, new body out of the question. definitely going to keep it 1960's. if i use the body i know ill have to sand the whole thing down and refinish it...not even sure where to begin with all the cavities and shitty routing though...

rareform707

Reaction score
IMO, if you're gonna keep this thing, better off just getting a new body and working from there. If I were you, I wouldn't go through the trouble restoring that body :lol:
:agreed: part of me kind of gave up and keeps telling me that. but like i said in my previous post, i havent given up just yet. honestly though the thing is horrible. i didnt bother taking pictures of the base, where its completely split in two spots, one of these cracks extends down the back of the guitar. and the pictures i did take actually do the body justice...:squint:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
i literally jumped back and yelled "OH MY GOD!" at the monitor...

seriously, that is messed up.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
i know! grrr i was jacked at first to get a chance to restore a vintage guitar like this, but the more i checked out the body...:squint:

i havent given up on it yet though!...im going to check out how much all the parts are gonna cost on tuesday, new body out of the question. definitely going to keep it 1960's. if i use the body i know ill have to sand the whole thing down and refinish it...not even sure where to begin with all the cavities and shitty routing though...
i think body filler is really the only possible thing, with how awful that sounds, nobody will see it so...

')