N(U)GD Gary Kramer Turbulence R36

• Thread starter PBC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Warning: Wall of text inbound.

Hey fellow SSO members. One day while trying to decide which 9 string I was going to purchase, I saw this pop up and immediately pulled the trigger. I’ve been hungry to try 24+ frets on a guitar. After 3 weeks of playing and testing, I’ve collected my thoughts and time for N(U)GD.

First Pics:

2H4mKWT.jpg

hXes59t.jpg

3HuBOqr.jpg

2cAyVH0.jpg

nE1w0Dz.jpg

h0EGwUi.jpg

kZSA6hT.jpg

QPt4sRn.jpg

3CYzl2j.jpg

snCd5uq.jpg

Specs taken from Gary Kramer Website:

CONSTRUCTION
5 point deep bolt on
7 string with 36 frets
25.5” scale

NECK

5pc Maple/Walnut lamination
12” bound Maple fingerboard
Triple parabolic Black position dots
1-24 Medium jumbo, 24-36 Vintage tall frets
Matching color headstock

BODY
Mahogany
Delta wing shape with contoured surfaces
Detachable aluminum leg rest unit
Glossy paint job with black satin neck

HARDWARE
Recessed Double locking tremolo
48mm wide locking nut
Black

ELECTRONICS
Direct mounted Gary Kramer bridge pickup
Volume and Tone (push/pull)
Full and split humbucking modes

Impressions:
The body is extremely comfortable. The reverse upper horn (don’t know how else to describe it) makes playing a breeze. It tends to anchor across my chest which makes the overall playing experience very easy.

3Sblf7X.jpg

Having the high strap lock allows the neck to remain a higher while still feeling balanced. With other guitars I find I need to fiddle to get the balance and height where I want it. The aluminum fin is great; it rests on either leg and doesn’t allow the body to wiggle at all. Another plus.

The guitar shows very little sign of wear. The parts and hardware look good with the faded pickup logo being the notable exception at first glance.

This was a guitar of many first. The maple neck is really glossy. Acoustically and clean tone it sound almost fretless. There are no dead spots on the board. The neck finish itself is satin (first satin) and it’s so smooth. I can’t believe how much better it feels than a gloss neck. The neck profile is a slight “D” shape, borderline flat D but not quite. Although I was unsure at first, I’m starting to greatly prefer the feel of a maple neck, more so than Ebony fretboard guitars. While ebony has amazing attack, sustain, and that slick icy feeling, the maple seems to pull my fretting note into the board itself. It seems to hold onto notes as I fret elsewhere without conflicting with my progressions. I really love the constancy of it and am already GASing for a non-gloss finished maple board.

Bridge: This is also my first Floyd Rose, so it took a long time to get new strings set up on the guitar. I unscrewed the screws from the back plate for the spring system but the plate itself would not detach. I had use a vacuum cleaner to suck the board out from the body and have declined putting it back in favor of easy access to the spring system. I have issues with the tuning stability for the Floyd but that’s not the only issue with it (see below). The floating bridge definitely has a different tension feel to the strings compared to hard tail, hard to describe, but now I can see why people like Floyds other than the obvious trem attributes.

The 36 Frets:

Having 24+ frets is extremely liberating with higher octave melodies. The body shape allows easy access of the 24-27 frets (more later on). Sometimes you take a step back and say, wow I’m right at or on beyond the 24th fret! The upper octave sounds absolutely beautiful. These high notes are great…when they actually work. Before I move onto that, having frets that you can’t always play means that you find creative ways to resolve tonics down to the 24th octave.

Issues/Ideas for Improvement:

Start with the fret access. It’s very difficult to play in the upper octave. Not only are is there not much space between the frets but the frets are so close together that it’s very difficult to play anything close together fretwise or on top of one other. While 27 isn’t too unreasonable,

IR5hO7E.jpg

Once you start getting higher it becomes really dicey weather the note can actually be fretted. I came up with this claw like method for stacking fingers (and my nail) in a line for notes in that register, but it doesn’t transition well to normal playing.

0K5g4Os.jpg

The easiest way I found to play the notes is the karate chop it with the side of your fingers shown here:

uV9wBlN.jpg

vbOKL04.jpg

When I close my eyes I try to feel the frets, I find that the best note I can hit is the 33rd fret. The ones beyond are 50/50 from even from trying to fret them on a standstill. While you can easily slide from lower down to the 36th, I feel that it doesn’t really warrant having those extra frets. This would align with Adam’s experience on his 11 string since the 30.2” scale length basically makes the 36th the 33rd of the 25.5. You can also hear the difficulty of playing these frets from fellow SSO member troyguitar

This will also serve somewhat of a sound clip since he reaches the highest note on my R36 and even beyond that with the high G4 string.

While the specs say they are “vintage” frets. I actually don’t know how wide the frets are. Although the picture is bad, you can see that the vintage frets are slightly lower in height to the jumbos.

I’m wondering if they had used the extremely narrow Jescar frets it would have helped. You can play all frets definitely. I found that if I was doing a sweep and wanted to use the high fret I had to focus on the 34th or 35th fret long before I got the first string and then it was an 80% chance I could fret the note if I wanted.

Lastly, because the distance between the fretted note and the bridge is rapidly reduced as you move higher, it runs into the fretless guitar problem of sustain. The sustain is non-existent except for lab controlled nail fretting. The heavier wound strings sustain longer but the inharmonicity is awful. You can get a sense of the sustain from Troy’s video. If you listen close, you can tell the non-bended notes are on the cusp of going completely silent. The 34-36 fret that he plays give a better sense of the sustain. I’m going to try and grow my nails on my left hand and see if that helps but I found last time that longer nails interfere with fretting mechanics.

One of the other issues with the high access is the bolt on neck. While the cutaway is fantastic, the bolt on neck interferes with the thumb placement as you move upward.

From the back:
P8IhbJf.jpg

The “relaxed” stretch on the front from that thumb position.

9SQU8oa.jpg

I still find it uncomfortable that the hand has to twist sideways to hit the higher register. When I commission for a custom extended fret guitar in the future. I’m going to try and make it similar to the neck through of a BTB bass but even deeper towards the bridge:

EreSp9O.jpg

Fretboard Radius: I’m not a fan of the 12” radius. Initially I got the low string and high string to the action I wanted but the middle 5 were unplayable and stuck to the frets on the low end (fret 1-12). This has been an issue with some of my other guitars and from now on I’m going to try and pursue flatter radius boards or at the very least a bridge that will allow me to adjust the action for individual strings. I believe the flattest board for a Floyd is 16” although someone else will need to confirm it. I have raised the action, but would greatly prefer uber low action.

The Floyd:
One of the most frustrating aspects of the guitar is the Floyd. My initially reaction when I started playing was to put my pick between the fretboard and the pickup. Unfortunately, that leaves my hand sitting on the adjustment tuners.

Z5P3vg4.jpg

In this position, muting with the picking hand is impossible. If I move downward, then another issue emerges. The pick is now over the fretboard.

ikEicqj.jpg

mEyYuOi.jpg

With low action, it took a while to get my picking to the point where I wasn’t striking the fret underneath. I’m still concerned that I’m wearing the fret down while I pick (not monitoring it 100% all the time) and would feel more comfortable if I had more space underneath the strings. This is something I took for granted on all other guitars until I played this one.

Pickups: The pickup works well. I haven’t really tried tone dialing because that the least of my concerns with the guitar. One issue is that I barely get any string harmonics when I play. I’m wondering of the single pickup is too far back to receive the harmonic frequencies. If someone with greater pickup knowledge than myself would clarify that would be great.

Another issue is the Floyd’s floating system. When I mute, I tend to anchor my right hand force as if I’m going into the body of the guitar. However, I noticed that I’m pushing the bridge downward when playing so all my notes are out of tune. This constant pushing the bridge downward then rebalancing results in me having to retune the guitar about every 30 minutes. I’m going to keep practicing. It’s just very strange now that I can’t just add weight to my hand if I want to mute.

Even though I have no experience with the bridge, the kahler seems a much better design for a guitar like this; individual action, hardtail type end, mostly flat, non-floating.

For those of you obsessive prototyping type people like myself. I included English measurement pictures of the bridge and pickup if you wanted an extended fret guitar (EFG) and wanted to decide pickup layout.

OSiw0J6.jpg

And from the edge of the pickup (pickups are around 1.5” wide).

j2smIVU.jpg

Here are some numbers for thought.

Scale Length to 36th Fret in inches (excludes the extra wood at end of fretboard/neck):

25.5”: 3.2”
26.5”: 3.32”
27”: 3.37”
28”: 3.5”
30”: 3.75”

Moving Forward:

I really love the extended range on the guitar. When I go back to 24 fret guitars it feels akin to losing a string in a way, although not as severe. One surefire way to get playable high notes is to keep adding high strings. However, since we are limited to .007 and O4P, it more or less means loosing an inch for about every semitone to be safe.

23.5” – A4

22.5” – Bb4

20.5” – C#5

19” – D5

That greatly decreases the playability of a guitar if you want to keep a 25.5”or 24.75” bass end. I’ve thought about ordering this guy for just shredding. I would be able to reach about C#7 or D7 on the highest fret.

I think I want a guitar with 31 frets(very playable) and an extra high string. I tune a half step down. With the perfect fifth above the 24th note, you have access to the scales and tonics, especially the amazing V-I cadence. With the high G#4 the 31st fret would be Eb7, higher than the mini guitar and easier access to the equivalent R36’s 36th fret. With the extra space, I could squeeze in two humbuckers or a more reasonable single coil – humbucker configuration. Although I would lose 5 notes of the G#4, I feel the general wildcard of those upper level frets is not worth it. Even though, I stated above that 33rd fret is still good to play, if I was going over the Perfect 5th I might as well go all the way to 36 because I couldn’t stand the incompleteness of the design.

Final thoughts:

It’s a great guitar for what does and is currently my main 7. The neck is thin and those extra frets are great. The guitar itself has been a good learning process and I look to improve upon the things that worked for me and the things that don’t.

Lastly: I don’t mean to come off as a persnickety guitar aristocrat. It’s just frustrating sometimes when things you see have potential seemed to be bogged down by some design issues.

All-in-all. Very happy to own and play this guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats :yesway: I've been after one of these for ages in yellow.
That's a real beauty, HNGD.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Owning 3 Turbulences, I can say I agree with many of your findings - that is the very reason 2 of them have 29 frets and a second pickup as opposed to the 36 on the T36 and R36. I can play up to the 31st fret conventionally, and then I'm forced to either fretting with the nail or tapping if I want to have any proper sustain. It's likely that simply pulling frets to leave 31, 33 and 36 Uli style would have yielded better results as you now have far more attainable fret spacing and you can easily bend your way to the half-steps.

They are great fun regardless, so happy NGD! :)

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this review that really goes beyond the gear/instrument.
I'm really interested in extending the range even in the upper spectrum of the pitch.
I really have problems with higher frets because of my sausage fingers and wide palm to the point that wherever I can I transpose solos (Cynic - How Could I is an example) for easier playing.
I have no guitar with which I can play some sweeps like the G major sweep in 19 fret position in Jason Becker's Altitudes or stuff from Alexi Laiho.
Even on 28" scales.
So yes, I would rather have a 9 with an high A than a lower D.
It's interesting that with that minimum space between frets at higher registers, even scalloped frets wouldn't serve anything.

VVolverin3

Cool beans
Reaction score
Good review man. My first thought on seeing that was that those very top frets would probably be a bit hard to actually... fret. :p

Cool concept though.

trem licking

Reaction score
now if only they made a 9 or 10 string 30' scale length guitar with 36 frets... that i would surely buy! i bet a baritone scale length would help a bit with those upper frets as well

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Well, they pretty much disappeared in something like 2012, so nothing one can do about new models. Last time I saw Leo Scala, he was working with another company, so GKG doing something is not in the cards, unfortunately.

morbidus

Reaction score
This is the best review I have ever read on one of these instruments. Thanks!

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
Supercool man, I've always wanted more information on these as I will never get to own one myself. Love the attention to detail you've shown and the degree of fortitude you display in diving into the variables of build & playability. Just the kind of info I (we) always look for.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Heh, as soon as I saw the thread title, I knew I'd be seeing Fred. :lol:

I'm really surprised that these guitars used Takeuchi trems instead of OFRs. The pictures I found of the 729 certainly appear to have an original Floyd. :scratch:

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Excellent review!

Can't stand these types of guitars, personally. You confirmed all my suspicions about why I'd hate it lol. Even that 30-fret Ibanez (or however many frest it had) was pointless, IMO. Your guitar looks pretty sick, though!

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Owning 3 Turbulences, I can say I agree with many of your findings - that is the very reason 2 of them have 29 frets and a second pickup as opposed to the 36 on the T36 and R36. I can play up to the 31st fret conventionally, and then I'm forced to either fretting with the nail or tapping if I want to have any proper sustain. It's likely that simply pulling frets to leave 31, 33 and 36 Uli style would have yielded better results as you now have far more attainable fret spacing and you can easily bend your way to the half-steps.

They are great fun regardless, so happy NGD! :)

Thanks Fred! Yeah, Uli's method is interesting. He has a non-floating trem which is an improvement and a neck pickup under the fretboard :eek: Not sure how well that works. The removed frets would be a good way to increase the playability of the notes. On his Dean Sky guitar, it looks like he stops at the 29 fret. Then it becomes 30, 32, 34, 36, 38 equivalent frets. That mostly restricts the upper level to becoming the natural minor of the tuned string. You can't perform melodic minor nor the harmonic minor equivalent (not to mention the grand minor scale). I feel for leading tone I would probably pull frets so it became a major scale. Uli's guitar might do this and I could just be a fool and counting the frets wrong. In summary though, being limited to a certain scale might not be worth the decrease in space + loss of pickup (unless built underneath the fretboard)

Thanks so much for this review that really goes beyond the gear/instrument.
I'm really interested in extending the range even in the upper spectrum of the pitch.
I really have problems with higher frets because of my sausage fingers and wide palm to the point that wherever I can I transpose solos (Cynic - How Could I is an example) for easier playing.
I have no guitar with which I can play some sweeps like the G major sweep in 19 fret position in Jason Becker's Altitudes or stuff from Alexi Laiho.
Even on 28" scales.
So yes, I would rather have a 9 with an high A than a lower D.
It's interesting that with that minimum space between frets at higher registers, even scalloped frets wouldn't serve anything.

Thanks OmegaSlayer! You must have HULK hands! Unfortunately unless you use an O4P string, and especially if you like to bend, the scale length needs to be really short. The general consensus is that 23.5 is the safe zone although people have had luck with a 0.007 NYXL at 24". This would mean that the 24th fret would be as small as the 21st fret on your 28" guitar. So see how your hands adapt to that.

If you're still pondering if you want to explore higher pitches. Check out these videos.

The progression from 2:39-2:50 is amazing (which is why I love more frets). Artusato's work is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/qQnCcY8FTUI?t=2m5s

In this video (on the same guitar as the NGD). He hits an A6 then a B6 bend at the end of the solo.

https://youtu.be/A2yEa4l6X-o

now if only they made a 9 or 10 string 30' scale length guitar with 36 frets... that i would surely buy! i bet a baritone scale length would help a bit with those upper frets as well

A straight scale 10 string with 36 frets would be wild. It would be too long for extra high string unless it was a F4, or if you're really lucky a SSO user got to G4 with a 0.008. It's important to think in both directions on this as well. A 30" would make the 24th fret of a 25.5" become the 27th fret of the 30". A small change to the 36 frets but a massive change to lower frets/chording/playing close to the nut. I agree with you though. I've been wondering if 27 frets will become the next production feature now that we've seemed to hit a limit with the number of strings big companies are adding.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, those are cool. I have the precursor to that - the F1 Delta Wing. Mine's the NAMM model from the debut year. Super cool guitar! I got really excited when the 729R came out and bought one of the first ones, and it was some seriously shoddy quality. I called Leo Scala, and he said it was still a pretty good deal for a MIK guitar, made a bunch of excuses for the flaws, and wouldn't take it back. I could never get the bad taste out of my mouth about the experience, so I sold it at a decent loss. It kind of soured me on the whole brand. And it looks like the whole idea never took off, as they don't make that shape any more.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Heh, as soon as I saw the thread title, I knew I'd be seeing Fred. :lol:

The almighty Frebulence! :lol:

I'm really surprised that these guitars used Takeuchi trems instead of OFRs. The pictures I found of the 729 certainly appear to have an original Floyd. :scratch:

That is correct, and it was one of the deciding factors of the 36-fret I own being a fixed bridge unit at the time. Discounting the actual Frebulence, which was a one-off from Leo to me, the production units had the OFR too, or at least my neon one does and it's unmodded.

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
Does Gary Kramer even make/sell guitars anymore? Aside from having one of the worst websites known to mankind, they don't even respond to emails.

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
It's a shame too. I bought two of the last RR-2s and they are easily my favorite guitars in my collection.

Yeah I really wanted one of those. Just my luck when I get to the point in life when I can actually afford some decent gear, some of the shops I really wanted axes from close down.

')