NAD Approaching, Need Cab suggestions.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
SO i just ordered a Egnater Renegade 65 watt head from guitar center for a sweet deal. I am very excited and will be sure to post pics when it arrives. I currently have a 2x12 greenback cab but want to upgrade to a 4x12. I want something with v'30s so i have been looking at orange and whitebox so far. I really like the look of the orange but i am worried because it is 16 ohm. will there be a significant volume loss when running with a 16 ohm cab? any information on this and other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't recommend Avatar enough. Their features, materials, and options are great at any price, but amazing since they're so affordable. If you like the Orange style check out the Avatar Contemporary, as it's the same dimensions as the PPCs at about half the price. Also, speaking from the experience of having both cabs in the same room, I'd take the build of an Avatar Contemporary over an Orange PPC. :2c:

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
cool thanks. luckily i can get an orange for about half of its price due to my connections at guitar center. any word on my ohm's question? ive been doing some research and always come up confused.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
cool thanks. luckily i can get an orange for about half of its price due to my connections at guitar center. any word on my ohm's question? ive been doing some research and always come up confused.

The higher the ohms the less efficiently an amp runs. The less efficiency the lower the wattage, as the amp has to work harder to maintain volume levels. This translates into more of a loss of headroom than a loss of volume.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
even with the amp output set to match the output of the cab?

edit: thanks for being the only person to ever respond to my threads.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
tends to be tranny amps that are quieter with greater ohms. i doubt volume will be a problem

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
even with the amp output set to match the output of the cab?

edit: thanks for being the only person to ever respond to my threads.

Yep. Setting the amp only really "prepares" it to run at a given ohms.

No problem bro. :hbang:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
how much of a wattage/volume/headroom loss are we looking at here?

Wattage, anywhere from 15% to 50% depending on the amp. Remember, wattage ratings are just estimates, and aren't even continuous. In modern tube amps you'll probably be looking at closer to 20% at any given time.

Volume, next to none that you can actually detect with the human ear, unless of course you're playing clean at full volume. Even then, we're talking just a few decibels.

Headroom, you may notice that you'll get more breakup roughly 10% to 25% earlier in the rotation of the controls that govern the output of the power section.

All in all, it's going to make a difference, just not a very big (or even "medium") one.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
Wattage, anywhere from 15% to 50% depending on the amp. Remember, wattage ratings are just estimates, and aren't even continuous. In modern tube amps you'll probably be looking at closer to 20% at any given time.

Volume, next to none that you can actually detect with the human ear, unless of course you're playing clean at full volume. Even then, we're talking just a few decibels.

Headroom, you may notice that you'll get more breakup roughly 10% to 25% earlier in the rotation of the controls that govern the output of the power section.

All in all, it's going to make a difference, just not a very big (or even "medium") one.

so basically, no need to worry?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so basically, no need to worry?

Pretty much.

Unless you plan on playing clean VERY loud, you have nothing to worry about.

The only application you really need to worry about that sort of thing is in PA Live Sound applications when you need massive amounts of clean power (we're talking thousands to tens of thousands of watts).

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
the loudest ill be going is rehearsal volume/ live mic'd volume, so i think ill be fine.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I've never played a Renegade in a band setting, just dicking around at GC, I really don't see you running into volume issues based on the ohm settings of the cab, at least any you won't be able to rectify with very slight front panel adjustments.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
yeah, i was playing it trough and 8 ohm cab and it was LOUD. i fell in love with the amp. i kept hearing it couldnt do metal but i dont see where people are getting this idea from, this amp is sheer brutality. It also does the marshall sound very well and has an amazing clean channel.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't say I was too impressed with it when I was messing around, but that's probably because of the environment, namely not being able to mess with it too much and put it through a different cab. The power amp on it really intrigues me.

If there was an Egnater amp I was really looking to try it'd be the new Tweaker 88. I thought the original Tweaker was pretty awesome. It killed the Blackstar HT5 next to it. If they kept the same core tone but with the power of KT88s and two channels it's gotta be killer.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
yeah. i got to play one in an iso booth. you have to play with it for a while since it is so tweakable.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have any cab suggestions. Mesa vs Marshall vs orange? All with v 30s

I'm still pulling for Avatar here. They actually make cabs either identical or extremely similar to all three you mentioned: Traditional, Vintage, and Contemporary respectively.

Unless you're getting a REALLY good deal new, or going the used route, Avatar's price to tone ratio is just unreal. Especially for an American made product.

What kind of tones are you after? Super tight, or a little looser? Big bottom with tons of "umph" or tighter and defined bass?

Latest posts