NAD! (Axe-Ultra content)

• Thread starter JordanLee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
This is long over due (I've had the Axe since May, and the VHT for about two weeks), but here we go with my first (and likely last) NAD!

As many before me have stated, the axe+2/90/2 = Sonic heaven!

WhenI first received the axe, I was fairly impressed with the presets, and with the sounds I was able to achieve direct into my computer. But, I still wanted that ballsy/headroomy/crushing KT88 sound that I use to get with my VHT... so I bought a Carvin TS100 (for $400 shipped... couldn't pass that up), which got destroyed en route to Edmonton. So, when the opportunity arose to get a VHT 2/90/2 for a GREAT deal, I couldn't resist, and good god I'm glad I didn't. This thing RIPS! I'll attempt to record or post a video soon with some riffage on my new 2228 too...

- Jordan

Attachments

• RIG.jpg
    RIG.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 163

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Looks awesome. The quintessential ss.org rig ;) Well, actually, you still need to make sure you have BKPs in your 8-string to get the full effect :rolleyes:

I still think it's nuts that a ~$2k processor doesn't have a headphone out, especially when cheaper processors like the PODx3 do, but I'm sure it sounds good enough to not matter.

The Axe has a built-in tuner, doesn't it?

Clips!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I still think it's nuts that a ~$2k processor requires an outboard tuner, especially when cheaper processors like the PODx3 & Prophesy don't, but I'm sure it sounds good enough to not matter.
Uh ? Tuner in axe-FX is ok, only issue is ofc the LCD screen is quite small but there IS a tuner.

Edit: talk about some ninja editing :p

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
There is a tuner yes, and it works quite well... except for the low E on my eight. It only picks up the octave 12th fret harmonic (which doesnt help much if your guitar isn't properly intonated... which mine isn't at the moment). The KORG picks it up better.

And I DO have BKP Cold Sweats for my 8... I just have to figure out how to put them in (I've never done a pup swap before).

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks awesome. The quintessential ss.org rig ;) Well, actually, you still need to make sure you have BKPs in your 8-string to get the full effect :rolleyes:

You're behind the times, the new official rig is the Mackie 1531 HD with the Axe, not the VHT :rofl:

I still think it's nuts that a ~$2k processor doesn't have a headphone out, especially when cheaper processors like the PODx3 do, but I'm sure it sounds good enough to not matter.

That's because the POD is targeted at kids playing in their bedroom while the Axe is a pro unit aimed at being used on stage and in studio where you have a dedicated headphone amp if you need one :2c:

Queue bitch about lack of usb interface next :rofl:

Jordan: Congrats, that is a nice rig :yesway:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score

Clips!

how many studio rigs like the triaxis, or ada mp1 or whatever have headphone outs?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Edit: talk about some ninja editing :p

;) I realized my error pretty quickly.

how many studio rigs like the triaxis, or ada mp1 or whatever have headphone outs?

I definitely wouldn't consider either the TriAxis or ADA MP-1 to be studio-oriented rigs in the way that the Axe is, though they of course are useful there. When you're talking about like-units, the comparisons (however unbalanced) would be units like the PODx3-Pro, Rocktron Prophesy, Eleven Rack, and GSP1101; 3 out of 4 of them have headphone outs.

You're behind the times, the new official rig is the Mackie 1531 HD with the Axe, not the VHT :rofl:

Touche, you have me there :lol:

That's because the POD is targeted at kids playing in their bedroom while the Axe is a pro unit aimed at being used on stage and in studio where you have a dedicated headphone amp if you need one :2c:

Maybe, but would you also say the Eleven Rack is also aimed at said kids? Beyond that, I'd wager there are more non-pro, at-home w/ limited funds / space users with the Axe than there are pro, studio-owning (or using), stadium playing users. I don't think it's asking much to add a < $10 headphone jack to a $2k unit.

Queue bitch about lack of usb interface next :rofl:

You're right, I forgot about that... WTF is that all about? :rofl: Actually, it probably ought to be Firewire, if we're talking about being 'with the times'. Either way, when you're talking about the Ultra having studio-quality mastering processes available, like the multi-band compressor, why leave the signal transmission to a potentially sub-par interface?

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score

The Axe has a plethora of ins/outs. What you hook them up to is your decision. :yesway:

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
This is long over due (I've had the Axe since May, and the VHT for about two weeks), but here we go with my first (and likely last) NAD!

As many before me have stated, the axe+2/90/2 = Sonic heaven!

WhenI first received the axe, I was fairly impressed with the presets, and with the sounds I was able to achieve direct into my computer. But, I still wanted that ballsy/headroomy/crushing KT88 sound that I use to get with my VHT... so I bought a Carvin TS100 (for $400 shipped... couldn't pass that up), which got destroyed en route to Edmonton. So, when the opportunity arose to get a VHT 2/90/2 for a GREAT deal, I couldn't resist, and good god I'm glad I didn't. This thing RIPS! I'll attempt to record or post a video soon with some riffage on my new 2228 too...

- Jordan

Where the hell did you get your hands on that VHT in Edmonton? I'd kill to play through that rig btw.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
The Axe has a plethora of ins/outs. What you hook them up to is your decision. :yesway:

Such as a Radio Shack adapter so that I can actually use headphones with my $2k processor? :rolleyes: okay, okay, I'll drop it. Absolutely in love with this rig, still.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
congrats man.
i got my ultra last friday and just got around
to testing presets today. im impressed, though
all i have are a pair of m-audio bx8a active
monitors to listen with. i was ready to be greated
by disappointment, but cliff and them really put
work into the AxeFx.

currently trying to grab a 2:100 and a siegmund missing
link tube clean boost to wrap it up in. that rig should sound
crushing.

should've kept a closer watch on the gear FS/FT section, i could have
scored one of TMM's 2:90's.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I have a rack tuner in my rig for ALMOST, the same reason. For me, the korg is really easy to see. Even from a LONG way away. The screen on the axe is what? the size of a credit card? Good luck reading that from across the stage.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
When the Fractal MIDI controller is released, the tuner info will be sent to that, so you can use it like that if you wish :lol:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I have a rack tuner in my rig for ALMOST, the same reason. For me, the korg is really easy to see. Even from a LONG way away. The screen on the axe is what? the size of a credit card? Good luck reading that from across the stage.

Yea I have a Korg tuner in my rig as well for that exact reason.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
When the Fractal MIDI controller is released, the tuner info will be sent to that, so you can use it like that if you wish :lol:

That's what I plan on doing. I'm on the waiting list for the MFC-101 and can't wait for it. Right now the axe-fx tuner works fine for me on stage (albeit it is a small screen), thankfully I'm never that far away from my rig when I need to tune.

Congrats on the rig man. I love my axe-fx & vht rig more than words can describe (and no accusations of being a SS fanboi mexican will change that :p)

littlephil

Reaction score
You're right, I forgot about that... WTF is that all about? :rofl: Actually, it probably ought to be Firewire, if we're talking about being 'with the times'. Either way, when you're talking about the Ultra having studio-quality mastering processes available, like the multi-band compressor, why leave the signal transmission to a potentially sub-par interface?
I think the main reason for the Axe to have a USB/Firewire interface would be for patch editing, not so much for use as an audio interface.

Also, lovely Axe! I'd love to try one out but I dont know anywhere near me to try one :wallbash:

JordanLee

Star-stuff
Reaction score
Congrats!
killer rig are you using a cab?

Sorry it took me so long to reply here.

yes, I do use a cab. I have a custom 4x12 that was built for me in Calgary. It has the excat same specs (same woods, bracing, construction, etc.) as an Orange 4X12, but it has Veteran 30 speakers instead. Also, it's a hideous green color with bloodred tolex (that I love).

Latest posts

')