NAD [ENGL content]

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
So I recently got my hands on an old ENGL squeeze 30. The stock pots are a bit scratchy but I'm planning on giving it an overhaul soon, though I wonder if there is a section on ss.org where I could post gut pics, for amp DIYers and such ??

So here goes...

photo1_zps482dc512.jpg

photo3_zpsd693b679.jpg

Comes with a Celestion greenback (Made in England), this amp is LOUD.

photo2_zps4321a8c9.jpg

Hah LOL This thread wasn't all about that, it was about.... the InVader 150!! :D

obligatory angle shots

photo3_zps0e52fc5a.jpg

PET_6392_zpsce9bcff7.jpg

and some more

photo4_zpsd33dea80.jpg

PET_6373_zps8db2b460.jpg

PET_6395_zps15589ec8.jpg

photo2_zpsaeba06c0.jpg

This thing is a BEAST! Besides if you remove the outermost pair of output tubes, it's really like the 100W version..

I realize some of you might find it blasphemous that I'm playing it through a Peavey Valveking cab, but it doesn't sound all that bad actually. Eventually I'm planning on doing some experiments (with audio samples of course) with the stock Peavey speakers and some good speakers, maybe G12K-100's or vintage 30's ... I've also heard that detuning a 4x12 is sometimes a good idea, i.e. loading only the top two speakers and keeping the bottom two slots unloaded, so they act as portholes.. Thoughts??

And for those who were interested in what that little metal grille box is on top of the amp, it's a Tom Scholz Power Soak, set to -12dB attenuation. I've used a Weber Mass before and this thing kills it. It's rated for 100W amps but to my knowledge, as long as you don't really put out true 100Watts things should be fine.

photo5_zpsf8df464f.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Is it safe to pull out 2 of the power tubes on these? I've heard of people trying that, but I think I remember some saying the bass response wasn't the same and it really didn't make it much better?

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
Is it safe to pull out 2 of the power tubes on these? I've heard of people trying that, but I think I remember some saying the bass response wasn't the same and it really didn't make it much better?

Yeah it's safe, although only if your rig uses the 8ohm or 16ohm outputs; more specifically you'd need to change the speaker load from from 8-> 4ohm or 16-> 8ohm respectively.

There is not much of a difference in the volume level for 100W and 150W, some people claim that the output tubes start distorting earlier but for the output tubes to distort, the master volume would need to be atleast 2-3'o clock, which is too much for my apartment.. I prefer to use a power soak. Will post some clips of it with the power soak and without..

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Nice! I still love my Invader 150. It doesn't get played as much these days, because it sits in my friends (drummer) basement. I only use Axe-Fx II at my place, but the ENGL destroys live and for band practices :hbang:

Latest posts