NAD ENGL Invader questions

• Thread starter Gyver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gyver

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I recently acquired an ENGL invader 100. Had to get one after trying one out in the Engl Showroom and again when I bought it. Fantastic versatile amp. However, last night when I set it up at the rehearsal spot, and testing all the channels for the right tone for me, I could not dial it in at all. It sounded muddy, woofy, real bad characteristics. Im running it through a Marshall 1960s A lead cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s, and the same guitar I used before purchasing (Caparison Horus) My only conclusion is that this amp may need a specific cab maybe? When I played in the ENGL showroom I ran it through a ENGL Pro cab with V30s, and when I bought itI used an Orange 2x12. Ive been running my Savage 120 through the Marshall with 0 problems. Would love your input guys,

Thanks in Advanced.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I recently acquired an ENGL invader 100. Had to get one after trying one out in the Engl Showroom and again when I bought it. Fantastic versatile amp. However, last night when I set it up at the rehearsal spot, and testing all the channels for the right tone for me, I could not dial it in at all. It sounded muddy, woofy, real bad characteristics. Im running it through a Marshall 1960s A lead cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75s, and the same guitar I used before purchasing (Caparison Horus) My only conclusion is that this amp may need a specific cab maybe? When I played in the ENGL showroom I ran it through a ENGL Pro cab with V30s, and when I bought itI used an Orange 2x12. Ive been running my Savage 120 through the Marshall with 0 problems. Would love your input guys,

Thanks in Advanced.

My :2c: is that you should try diff cabs. Both had V30's...your cab does not.

EDIT: Also you could try doing an X pattern with V30's ans G12T-75s if your up to it.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
I tried a 1960a with my powerball and it sounded pretty crummy, although not as bad as you're describing. Although I once tried an old 1960b that sounded pretty decent, so I really don't know what to think.

Just check all the usual things before you get nuts. Try it with a different cab, check the effects loop mix on the back, check the preamp tubes, yada yada

Edit: Before this thread fills with marshall hate, just make sure everything is working perfectly with the head. In my experience, those invaders will sound like pure sex through just about anything.

AzzMan

Reaction score
It's probably the cab. I've never run an Invader before, but a Savage should be a nice match for the G12T-75s, they're pretty middy and have a Marshall-esque growly characteristic. The way Invaders have been described to me, however, a G12T-75 is probably the furthest thing from what you would want to be running.

Gyver

Reaction score
I apreciate the feedback guys keep them coming, yeah the Savage sounds great through the marshall. I will try to borrow a cab with v30s. this week before I dump more money on another cab.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I apreciate the feedback guys keep them coming, yeah the Savage sounds great through the marshall. I will try to borrow a cab with v30s. this week before I dump more money on another cab.

Yeah i would try as many cabs as you can before you spend any money :yesway:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
What channel are you using on the Invader? I've found CH2 and CH3 to be the easiest to dial in with a clean boost.

Wrathos

Reaction score
Indeed. Ch2 and Ch3 are my favorites on the Invader. Very tight and able to have a variety of tones dialed in on them even without any type of boost. Using a boost is always nice though :D

Gyver

Reaction score
I pretty much tried all the channels, the amp is pretty much new, only gigged three times, all tubes look like theyre in good shape, and it has volume, just pretty much all the channels are not to my liking, today im trying my buddies cab with v30s and test it out. Guys again thanks for all your feedback, ill report back with my results.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I normally hate V30s, but the Invader sounds PHENOMENAL through them.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
The music store I bought my Invader 150 from had it hooked up to the same kind of Marshall cab...(im pretty sure). Those tend to be a little darker/bassy/scooped I believe??

If you are using channel 3 I would recommend something like
High Gain:On
Bright: On
Gain: No more than 12:00 (noon) if using a tube screamer, but usually less.
Bass: 10:00 - 11:00
Mid: 3:00 at least or almost cranked...depends on your preference (ch3 is already scooped so it needs to be cranked a bit more then most amps)
Treble: 2:00 - 2:30

Presence: 2:00
Depth Punch: 10:00 - 11:00 (depends on the guitar and how bassy it is)

Basically keep your bass and depth punch a lot lower than you think you normally would. The Invader can be a dark amp...so with a darker cab you want a lot less bass and more mid and treble. Tube screamer with the typical settings helps a lot too, but the ENGL has soo much gain you don't need to max the volume on a tube screamer. Only like half way up or a little more.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I second a V30 cab, ENGL, Mesa, Orange etc. On the contrary I used my old Fireball with a Marshall 1960A and actually dug the tones.

Gyver

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for your information and feedback. Last night I tried a Carvin Legacy 4x12 with v30s. Given not the best cab, but it brought the amp alive! so glad this is not going for sale LOL, even my savage sounded better. The comparison was like night and day. A Marshall 1960s is a real universal cab, I guess it just does not work with these heads.

Thanks again guys.

phantasm

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for your information and feedback. Last night I tried a Carvin Legacy 4x12 with v30s. Given not the best cab, but it brought the amp alive! so glad this is not going for sale LOL, even my savage sounded better. The comparison was like night and day. A Marshall 1960s is a real universal cab, I guess it just does not work with these heads.

Thanks again guys.

I have a 150 and used to play it through a 1960b with gt12-75's. It was very crisp and had the most satisfying punch ever. I also have a Bogner 4x12 w/v30's which it sounded great through and also had an awesome crunch. I got an amazing sound through either cab, really, with the marshall being too bright if anything-not muddy. Actually, the best sound I have ever had was through the Marshall playing in my "band" with the master at like 2-1/2 which is super loud. I think it may have actually aroused me sexually to be honest. I tend to use channel 2 mostly as I play traditional metal, but also ch3. I've only found ch4 suitable for leads and really fat bluesy rhythms. Ch4 is not what you want for metal.

I never felt the need for a boost, but ymmv. It's an amazing amp but I just got laid off and I'm going to hate selling it when the time comes. When I first got it I thought it was pretty noisy, but I got a decimator g-string and that was the end of my tone quest.

Good luck!

phantasm

Reaction score
Actually, I've had the 1960b with 4 amps and a couple of preamps. The only one I hated it with was a 6505+ which led me to get the Bogner. The notes break differently w the v30's and seem to have less attack but they are also less shrill.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
im hunting for a v30 loaded cab now. :D

I normally use my 150 through my friends older Recto 4x12 slant at band practice. The only cab I actually own right now is a Recto 2x12. The Invader sounds good through both. My only gripe with the Recto 4x12 is that it tends to have a boxy mid-range that is at times hard to dial out. I really liked the tone of it through my friends Vader 4x12 a lot better. It was a smoother clearer tone. It worked really well when we practiced one day and I was the only guitarist (other guitarist couldn't make it) so I had both the Mesa and Vader hooked up on different sides of the room. That was pure awesomeness!

Enselmis

Reaction score
It's probably the cab. Are you running an overdrive in front? That always helps as well. Something I've noticed with my Invader is that it sounds much better without the high gain switch engaged, especially when recorded. It really does have an absolutely obscene amount of gain on tap and I could imagine it getting kind of leery if that's set too high.

Just mess around some more dude! You'll find something. The Invader is an awesome bit of kit.

')