NAD: EVH 5150 III EL34 50w, Randall Diavlo 45 and Marshall Origin 50H incoming!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
So I got a couple new amps.
Hadn't owned a proper tube amp in n years so I felt it was time :)

Got an EVH 2x12 cab, have wanted one of those for a while now.
I know it's not a super fit for each amp but I love how it sounds paired with that EVH.
Also got a Jet City Jettenuator, mostly to run the amps into my daw and to use IR's etc.

Anyway, so the amps:

-Randall Diavlo 45

Killer little amp with a unique but very good sound.
Great for metal but could also be great for rock.
The clean channel is nice and I love the drive channel.
The drive channel does sound nice with the boost function on so that's basically on all the time.
This amp sounds a little weird through the EVH cab, the low end resonance of the amp doesn't seem to fit the cab well, having said that I've only tried this amp through my cab at low volumes.
Raising the master might help a little bit.
Through the Jettenuator with OwnHammer IR's however it sounds SUPER good for a tight metal sound.
I had to turn the treble and presence controls to about 8 or 9 in order to get a bright enough sound, but yeah, it's killer.
Anyone else own one?
What do you think of this amp?
I'll be making a video soon.

-EVH 5150 III EL34 50W:

I've wanted an EVH for a long time and I finally got one!
It's a super loud amp, that's for sure!
For bedroom levels I have to be super careful with the volume knobs because it gets loud FAST!
It does sound super nice though.
The clean channel is great and I actually love the blue channel despite it's bad reputation.
It reminds me of Soldano amps with a bit of a looser low end, really cool to have this option.
The Red channel is so tight and aggressive, rreeeaaallllyyyy nice for metal.
Can't think of a lot of amps that are better at this thing!
I did have something weird happen when I turned it on for the first time.
It sounded as if my cable was broken or the output Jack of my guitar, just kind of pops and static.
Then after about 40s it went away and I haven't heard it since.
Should I be worried?
Anyway, super super nice amp!

-Marshall Origin 50H:

This amp isn't here yet but I wanted something marshally with low gain to kind of fill in the gap that the other two amps lack.
So this one will be for all the low gain crunchy and more vintage sounds.
Can't wait till it arrives, have heard great things!

Man, that's a lot of stuff but playing with this gear will be so much fun!

Here's a pic of the rig so far:

I'm going to be using the HX Effects as the centerpiece or brain of my rig.
For practice the 4 cable method should be fun but I'm also looking forward to trying that with my loadbox and then running the load box's line out back into my helix for stereo post effects and IR's which then goes into my soundcard for recording....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
My other guitarist has run the RD45 4 years now. It's definitely a different flavor. Gotta say it's been reliable, though. He hasn't touched any of the tubes in 4 and a half years now. Needs a resonance knob to actually dial back some lows and control them. I tried to use it just as a power amp once with my rack and it was overwhelming. He runs 2 cabs with it and I have to have my 100w amps at 3/4 or more when he starts getting too loud with a drummer.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Thats a yummy little stack im always tempted to swap my 6l6 100 watt for a 50 watt el34 for the midi and resonance knob plus im an el34 man at heart

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I found the Diavlo to be one of the biggest letdowns for me. It just sounded weird and wasn’t nearly as heavy as I expected it to be, which I found really surprising. Although at the time I was in love with the Mesa Mark V35 I owned, so that likely contributed to my feelings.

Glad you’re liking it though man, it just wasn’t my sound.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Nice RIG!
My EL34 had a weird pot, blue volume maybe, that acted quite bizarre when micro-adjusting. I just swept it back and forth several times to spread the lube around in there and now its fine. It did seem like I had a bad jack or cable though at first.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Very nice scores! I'm curious though as to why you didn't get the matching EL34 2x12 cab? Not that it sounds any different of course.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Thats a yummy little stack im always tempted to swap my 6l6 100 watt for a 50 watt el34 for the midi and resonance knob plus im an el34 man at heart

Those 6L6 100 watters have 3 resonance knobs right?

Nice RIG!
My EL34 had a weird pot, blue volume maybe, that acted quite bizarre when micro-adjusting. I just swept it back and forth several times to spread the lube around in there and now its fine. It did seem like I had a bad jack or cable though at first.

Could have been a pot then!

Very nice scores! I'm curious though as to why you didn't get the matching EL34 2x12 cab? Not that it sounds any different of course.

Until now I didn't even know that there was an EL34 version...
Don't even think Thomann sells those.
Edit: just checked, the regular one is cheaper so I guess that's why I chose that one.
Sounds killer though!