NAD - Fryette UL w/EQ

• Thread starter phonix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phonix

Reaction score
The boost on the clean channel of the UL is good? I wonder where they went wrong with the boost on the clean channel of the Sig:X because it seems kinda pointless. I've never been able to make it work as a clean channel with it off and an overdrive channel with it on without it being way too loud and still work with the volumes of the high gain channels and found just using an OCD clone on the clean channel to be a better option.

I can see what you mean, it does boost the volume a bit. To me it changes the voicing as well, I like it both on and off, but it might work better as a very light breakup setting because I have EMG's? With passives it might just be a voicing change and volume boost which I can see being taken as kinda pointless. Works either way for me, less warmth in the mids/lower treble region with it off and just volume match to lead/crunch channels with clean volume knob. Need more time with it to say much more.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I can see what you mean, it does boost the volume a bit. To me it changes the voicing as well, I like it both on and off, but it might work better as a very light breakup setting because I have EMG's? With passives it might just be a voicing change and volume boost which I can see being taken as kinda pointless. Works either way for me, less warmth in the mids/lower treble region with it off and just volume match to lead/crunch channels with clean volume knob. Need more time with it to say much more.

I use EMGs and found it impossible to use with the clean channel. It added a very noticeable volume boost on, so matching it to the lead/rhythm channels with the boost on for light break up meant the clean was too quiet. Doing the opposite meant the clean channel boost was too loud. Hope that clarifies.

Btw, the Fryette boards had a thread about this in regards to the Sig:X and the clean channel boost and they said you were supposed to match it to the volume of the lead/rhythm channels with the boost on. I and a few others didn't like this, particularly because of the volume boost, whereas the boost functions on the lead and rhythm channel do not boost volume; they turn on the Gain II Saturation knob. :scratch:

phonix

Reaction score
Right I get you. It's the same with the UL, the difference is too great to switch between boost on and boost off say live or if recording without the need to volume match again. It's not just a gain boost like lead and rhythm channels. Personally I'd pick one (either boost on or off) and stick with it. Currently I'm using it off. Either way it's capable of some really nice cleans.

schecter_c7

Reaction score
How would you say the Deliverance compares to the UL and gp3-2/90/2? I'm interested in buying a Fryette, but I don't really need versatility since I have two other amps to cover everything else. Mainly looking for great high gain tones and kt88s.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
No comparison thoughts on the UL and D120?

I used to own a Cl100 and now own an UL. Never tried the Deliverance.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
:nuts:
No comparison thoughts on the UL and D120?

I used to own a Cl100 and now own an UL. Never tried the Deliverance.

Not to hijack, but while we're on the subject of comparing Fryette models, what was the difference between the CL100 and the UL?

protest

Reaction score
:nuts:

Not to hijack, but while we're on the subject of comparing Fryette models, what was the difference between the CL100 and the UL?

I'm not an expert, but the CL is 2 channels clean to high gain, no dedicated clean channel, EL34's and the UL is 3 channels, 1 dedicated clean channel, with KT88's.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but the CL is 2 channels clean to high gain, no dedicated clean channel, EL34's and the UL is 3 channels, 1 dedicated clean channel, with KT88's.

That pretty much sums it up.

IMO the UL tone has a bit of the CL in it. Like a CL with more Roar and less bark.

I'm actually having a very hard time deciding which I liked more. They can be modded to run the same tubes as well.

I'm curious to hear that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew the specs, (and I have a 50CL), but I've never heard a UL, and I'm always wondering if the sound is much different (other than the headroom, of course).

Latest posts

')