NAD: Marshall G100R

Oxygen42

Bedroom Shredder
Reaction score
So, I was looking around Long & McQuade for an amp head, and had very low standards. I just want something with an effects loop, so I can bypass the amp's pre-amp and use it as a power amp for my POD HD-300. After some searching, I came across this thing. The Marshall G100R. Its price tag said "MG 100", and "$125". After a brief scan of the face plate, I spotted the FX-loop, and tried it. What I plugged in, was certainly not an MG. I had happened to be listening to Death prior to entering the store, so I started playing "Crystal Mountain" on the Jackson I had picked out. Hark, what is that sound? A suspiciously uncanny late Death tone. I knew Chuck had used solid state Marshall amps, but I was amazed by how close it came. I bought it, and took it home. After some brief searching, I realized that this was not an MG at all. Its faceplate is identical to a Valvestate 8100 (Chuck's amp) but its label is the "G100R CD". I can't find any reference to it, other than interviews with Wayne Static, or with Rob Zombie's guitarist. This thing is amazing. I'll post some pics and sound clips when I have them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp!! I think that the G-series are the MG predecessors - sounds like you got a good one - not much love out there for the SS Marshalls.

Oxygen42

Bedroom Shredder
Reaction score
I've never been a tube purist, so I'd bet that I'm more willing to like it for how it actually sounds, rather than dislike it for not being tube.

Oxygen42

Bedroom Shredder
Reaction score
Tested it out at band practice the other day. Ran my POD into the FX-loop return as I had planned, and it sounded MASSIVE. As a budget power amp, it certainly fits my needs. Having a matching head and cab is nice too. :3

Latest posts