NAD!! Oden approved!! (Small Picstory, 56k = ok, I guess... but you suck)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So today came this huge box, which did weight a fucking ton... What could it be? :spock:

imgp0225jx2.jpg

Marshall, huh? That sounds like there's something heavy inside that box... So I think I'll need something heavy as well to open it! :idea:

HHhhm, that may work... (Oden Approves :hungus:)

imgp0226kn1.jpg

Fear Oden's wrath, you box!!!

imgp0238iv6.jpg

DON'T RESIST!! DIE BY MY SWORD!!!! :mad::scream:

imgp0242ep3.jpg

You're finished, box!!

imgp0257fw5.jpg

Let's see... Hhmmm what do we have here?

imgp0258hv8.jpg

Oh my god, Laney Goodness!! :bowdown:

imgp0259jz3.jpg

Knobs, knobs!! KNOBS!!! :D

imgp0260rj4.jpg

Buttshot :hbang:

imgp0261ik3.jpg

Holy Shit! How many loops does this thing have!? :eek:

imgp0263vj8.jpg

Those things make the head a lot easier to carry, nice touch Laney!!

imgp0276bs8.jpg

The Footswitch:

imgp0277zv4.jpg

I'M INSIDE YOU NOW!!! :squint:

imgp0270on6.jpg

The Tower Of Doom!! :shred::hbang::metal:

imgp0281rx5.jpg

And how does it sound?

Sincerely, no idea :lol: Some asshole broke my load cable so I can't plug it yet (I'm fucking pissed off right now :realmad:). Tomorrow I'll buy another one and I'll give it a full test of total metal pwnage :hbang: :shred:

Cheers!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
haha, yea! I love the marshall box used to pack it. Proof that the cardboard box from a marshall is the only thing worthy of its name. :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
very well done, kudos!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So I finalley went to the rehearsal place and tested the amp for about two hours. Those are my impressions so far...

The thing is LOUD AS FUCK. I didn't even turned to 3, and it was deafening :nuts:

The clean channel is AWESOME! I've never heard a better clean channel on a high-gain amp, that's for sure! It was sooo beautiful sounding with some reverb :wub:

The clean + boost setting didn't amazed me at all, it seemed like it loses low end punch when the boost is engaged. With the drive way up, you can do pretty good AC/DC style rythms though.

The drive channel is pure raw rock. 80's Marshalls come to mind. Awesome for playing blues with low gain and nice rock rythms when turning it up.

The drive + boost channel is where the magic happens :hbang: It has a very "lively" feel to it. I was specting that it wouldn't have enough gain, but that was not the case!! I think I put it at 5 on drive and 7 on boost and it had a very articulate thrash tone. And the leads... Oh man, the leads are fucking amazing. I've never enjoyed so much playing lead. It's very sensitive to the dynamics, which alows you total control over your sound, resulting in very expressive and juicy leads. :shred:

Overall is a very nice amp. It's capable of deliver a lot of different sounds. Mine is loaded with Svetlana's EL34s, so I think that I'll change them for 6L6s on the future, since I've heard that Laneys benefit a lot from them. I have yet to play it with my Bloody Murder too. Maybe I'll buy an attenuator and a EQ for putting it in the loop, to give it a more brutal sound. Any input?

Can't wait to play it more!!! :shred:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Boost in front, and an EQ in the loop will pretty much get you anything you want out of the amp. :lol:

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
haha yea, thats exactly what I think of Laneys. What guitars do you normally play through it? I see a Loomis sig, which is EMGs.. anything else? Mine still has TAD El34s in it, and they sound better than the other Laney I had with EL34s. If you are more of a thrash person, I may recommend keeping those tubes. They will have more clarity and tightness. I still prefer 6L6s, but I cant spend any more cash for a while.

I recommend pulling two of the tubes for now, which will cut it to 50 watts and plug into the next lower ohm speaker jack. I have an 8ohm 2x12, so right now I am plugging into the 4 ohm. That will change the sound a bit, and lower the volume slightly. This also allows me to safely use my 50 watt Weber mini-mass attenuator, which is a godsend. I leave the volume on 3 all the time, with the weber set at half. Makes the volume around a yelling voice, and still sounds great.

What preamp tubes came with yours?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
haha yea, thats exactly what I think of Laneys. What guitars do you normally play through it? I see a Loomis sig, which is EMGs.. anything else? Mine still has TAD El34s in it, and they sound better than the other Laney I had with EL34s. If you are more of a thrash person, I may recommend keeping those tubes. They will have more clarity and tightness. I still prefer 6L6s, but I cant spend any more cash for a while.

What preamp tubes came with yours?

Well, I'm more into At The Gates, Unearth, Parkway Drive, etc. stuff, and I use my Agile as well, so yeah, EMGs all the way. Do you say that the EL34 have more tightness? I'm a tube noob but I always thought the 6L6s were better for brutal stuff :shrug:

About the preamp tubes, the guy who sold it to me just said that it had "Svetlana's EL34" when I asked him if the tubes were stock, so no idea really :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, I'm more into At The Gates, Unearth, Parkway Drive, etc. stuff, and I use my Agile as well, so yeah, EMGs all the way. Do you say that the EL34 have more tightness? I'm a tube noob but I always thought the 6L6s were better for brutal stuff :shrug:

About the preamp tubes, the guy who sold it to me just said that it had "Svetlana's EL34" when I asked him if the tubes were stock, so no idea really :lol:

I'd recommend JJ E34L's, as they have that awesome EL34 mid-range and crunch, but with deeper lows/softer highs like a 6L6.

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
yea you could try E34Ls too, I have been interested in them but never tried. However, I think you will actually need to take it to a tech to adjust the amp for them. It has a switch for EL34s or 6L6s, so you can just switch the tubes and play. I would recommend you try 6L6s, because they do sound heavier and more suited for that heavy gain. I really do think the EL34s sound tighter, and clearer for high gain. Ideally, I would like to have a set of both to switch between them depending on what I am playing. That bias switch really is a nice touch.

As far as preamp tubes, you will have to take the back grill off and remove the metal caps to find what kind they are. Push down, make a quarter turn, and they will pop off. I did some extensive preamp tube comparisons in the amp after I got it. I posted a thread about it here, but not sure in which sub-forum. Do a search for it with my name.

Latest posts

')