NAD - Orange Dual Dark 50

• Thread starter JD27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Darkness come alive! I've missed the Orange tone since I sold my Dark Terror. I just got this bad boy about an hour ago, so I have had little time to play around, but so far it delivers. It's full bodied and it roars. Channel A appears to be very versatile, everything from crunch to full thick lush distortion. Still remains definition though. Channel B is the more metal voiced of the two. Definitely a more aggressive bite to that one. Need to spend some quality time with this beast.

DSCN0168_zpsmgepulej.jpg

DSCN0166_zpsdntcbwtb.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Im bleeding envy right now. I want this amp in the 100 watt version so bad!
Congrats!!!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I thought about the 100, but saved a few hundred on this one. The 100 watt is cool considering you can run 100/70/50/30w. Also the bigger output section in the 100 gives more control over the preamp gain. But I have no regrets with the 50, this thing is awesome! The attenuator is also very cool feature. I don't know if this thing "djents", but it sure as hell "Tres Brujas"!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I've actually got no way to record with this setup.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Been playing it all day, it just sounds so awesome. There is a fullness that just kind of punches you in the gut. I think I am going to install a DIVO kit in this one as well. Then try out some 6L6's.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
One small complaint I did forget to mention. You would think for the cost of one of these, they could toss in a $45 footswitch. Thankfully, they have promo right now that includes a FS-2 Switch, 30ft Cable, and Head Cover for free. It's about $150 worth of free stuff.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
How are the cleans on the Terror-styled channel? The cleans were one of my favorite things about the Dark Terror.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
How are the cleans on the Terror-styled channel? The cleans were one of my favorite things about the Dark Terror.

As you can imagine the extra headroom helps, though they were solid on the Dark Terror. I don't play much clean stuff personally. The cleans are warm and very full though. Playing with the attenuator you can really get this thing to sing. There is a harmonic thing going on when it is saturated that is awesome. It's very responsive to pick aggression. You can get it to break up with a stronger pick attack at lower gain settings.

Zeriton

Reaction score
Congrats. Loving the look of your rig :)

On an unrelated note - how are you finding the 5153 into the Orange cab?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Congrats. Loving the look of your rig :)

On an unrelated note - how are you finding the 5153 into the Orange cab?

I love my Orange Cab. They have a pronounced lower mid range. I find the resonance control quite useful in keeping it from being overbearing though. I'm thinking of grabbing another 2x12 though. Most likely a Mesa 2x12, but the EVH 2x12 is interesting me lately as well. I'd like to keep my Orange Dual Dark/2x12 as as set and then use the other cab with my Mesa/EVH/Laney.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
HNAD!! I've only got a Dark Terror, but these amps surely have something special going on. Channel B is supposed to be the same as the Dark Terror, right?

And the PPC212 is a great cab, nicely built, has v30's. I've been wanting to try a Jim Root 212 and see what the difference is.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
HNAD!! I've only got a Dark Terror, but these amps surely have something special going on. Channel B is supposed to be the same as the Dark Terror, right?

And the PPC212 is a great cab, nicely built, has v30's. I've been wanting to try a Jim Root 212 and see what the difference is.

It is indeed is the same Channel B. Channel A is the new channel on this one. This is probably the best demo I have seen that shows the liveliness of the amp. Goes over both channels with clean and distorted tones.
Orange Dual Dark head

I know the Jim Root 2x12 has different speakers, "Voice of the World", whatever those are and is smaller footprint. The cab is also made in China, the PPC212 is Made in the USA.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
HNAD, how would you compare it to the EVH ?

Two completely different animals. While it has a ton of gain, the Dual Dark is unmistakeable in its Orange sound. It's got that very grainy type of distortion. I have had no trouble getting Ghost, Down, or CoC type tones from it. I find it much for lively as well, compared to the 5153. But on the other hand, playing KSE songs on it doesn't sound nearly as good as the 5153. But I love them both, I'm glad they are so different, otherwise I wouldn't be able to justify having both.

')