NAD! Out with the ENGL, in with the...

• Thread starter Ketzer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
Soldano!

soldano3.jpg

soldano1.jpg

soldano2.jpg

Swapped my E530 for a Modded SP-77 Series 2 with a guy on SS.org.

Took the amp apart, and fixed everything that was dodgy with it, switches, the jack, stuff like that, nothing serious. Fairly sure it's an MIJ, the USA Chassis is smaller, I believe.

The pre was modded by Egnater, added a 5th 12AX7 and increased the gain. The extra tube is photographed in one of the above photos. He also added a master volume on the back near the outputs.

first impression? This thing is loud as all hell. it can drive a 1x12 at bedroom volumes completely by itself. The clean channel is crystal clean, and the bright switch does what it's advertised to, but it's not really my style. the gain channel is to DIE for, though. Way more organic than the ENGL was, and with high-output pickups (and the mod) it easily gets into modern metal range. Gonna be running a tubescreamer into the front end, as well.

I need to work it into my rack, though. There's no rear input on the preamp, so I'll need to jury-rig something to hook up my ISP to it, but that's a minor snag. I might just install an auxiliary input in the back, the amp is already hacked up a bit so it's not like it'll hurt anything.

to add to the minimalist motif, I'm gonna dig up one of those old-school 90s labelmakers and use red tape. I can also make up some of my own names for the knobs.

EDIT: The amp jewel I found to replace the missing one is a bit too large. It's a replacement from a Triple Rectifier. Are all amp jewels the same size (forcing me to replace the pilot light assembly) or do different brands use slightly different specs?

Thanks a ton, Velocity! I've never owned a Soldano product before, and this has completely sold me on them. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
so thats a full amp (pre and power) in a 2U rack space?? sounds pretty awesome. I may look into it if thats the case, I could definitely use a full amp in 2U rackspace, even if it was only like 50W or so. hm

(assumin this because you said it can run a 1x12 alone loudly)

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
no, it's just a preamp. Despite the fact that it can drive a cab, I'm not entirely sure how well it would hold up to extended use in that capacity. It doesn't have an output transformer. It's not like the E530 that has an integrated tiny power amp.

Nick, you know about the EHX .22 Caliber, right (as well as the .44 Magnum)? They're 22 (and 44) power amps in the size of a small stompbox.

as for hectic? how do you figure? There isn't terribly much going on in there :lol:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
The SP77 is a preamp only (I owned a US one), with completely outrageous output, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see the thing pushing a small speaker. It's basically a Soldano Hot Rod's preamp section.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Nice! I had that exact preamp a little while ago, and I've owned 6 or 7 other SP77s, too. One of my all-time fav's for sure. Glad you like it! FWIW, it sounds incredible paired with a VHT 2/90/2 (tried this out @ the Axe Palace, and it killed).

It's basically a Soldano Hot Rod's preamp section.

Straight from Bill Sundt @ Soldano, the SP77 is the clean & crunch channels from the X88R preamp (which has clean / crunch / lead), which is the SLO's preamp, but with individual controls per channel. It's notably different from the Hot Rod, though all Soldanos have a recognizable common tonality.

')