NAD: Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

• Thread starter Forrest_H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Hey guys!

bjlx.jpg

tumblr_mqdgrjeVNN1qhz37jo1_500.jpg

2u77.jpg

I originally ordered this amp and found out I might not be able to keep it. One week passed and I figured out I could keep the amp. The thing is killer, sounds amazing. Can't seem to get it to agree with my boost but I'll keep tweaking.

Thanks for looking guys :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
grats! I used to have the 6505 version, did the same as poster above and cut it in half.

Whatever you do, DO NOT twist while lifting that thing. I suffered an ongoing back injury by doing just that (trying to get between a car and a wall) and you don't need me to tell you that back injuries suck a fat one.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
had one loved it.....so i sold it and got a head and cab. I run mine with a green rhino with everything balls to the wall

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
HNAD!!! I love mine. I owned a 6505 212, 5150 head, and a 6505+ head. The 212 beats them all. Also, yeah...the 212 doesnt like boosts too much. I dont think it needs one any one. Jump on the crunch channel, gain around 8, crunch (which acts like a built in TS) and bright in, and call it a day (this was pretty unexpected to me...I lived on the lead channel when I first go it, but someone recommended this to me, and I havent looked back). I like to use the lead channel for more deathmetally kinda stuff, but I mostly live on the crunch channel.

After having owned all those 5150s, a JSX, a VHT D60, and a Mako Mak4, this amp is still my favorite. The stock speakers arent bad, but call Dave at Avatar and get a pair of Eminence Legend V12s to throw in there, and itll improve massively. Also, watch your ohms. You can run a 16 ohm cab in addition to the internal speakers. If you disconnect the speakers, you can only run an 8 ohm cab through the external jack OR a 16 ohm cab through the internal jack. Internal speakers are 8 ohms each, wired at 16.

I also loved mine so much that I got a head and a cab, and I was disappointed. The head isnt as tight as the 212. Ended up trading the head for a 6505+...and there it is. The combos lead channel is closer to the 6505+/5150II lead channel, and the crunch channel is its own thing.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Awesome! Happy NAD!

I have the same amp but it was converted to a head. What kind of boost do you have for it?

I've heard of doing that... Might have to look into it :) I had a Bad Monkey running through it but I couldn't get them to agree with each other... It already seems to have plenty of gain :)

grats! I used to have the 6505 version, did the same as poster above and cut it in half.

Whatever you do, DO NOT twist while lifting that thing. I suffered an ongoing back injury by doing just that (trying to get between a car and a wall) and you don't need me to tell you that back injuries suck a fat one.

Oh man, this thing feels heavier than my 4x12 at my dad's house. Luckily a previous owner screwed on some casters (albeit not very well, one wheel catches on a screw :lol:)

Congrats!! :)

Thanks man!

had one loved it.....so i sold it and got a head and cab. I run mine with a green rhino with everything balls to the wall

I didn't have enough space for the head and cab at my mom's house, and plus this was much cheaper :)

HNAD!!! I love mine. I owned a 6505 212, 5150 head, and a 6505+ head. The 212 beats them all. Also, yeah...the 212 doesnt like boosts too much. I dont think it needs one any one. Jump on the crunch channel, gain around 8, crunch (which acts like a built in TS) and bright in, and call it a day (this was pretty unexpected to me...I lived on the lead channel when I first go it, but someone recommended this to me, and I havent looked back). I like to use the lead channel for more deathmetally kinda stuff, but I mostly live on the crunch channel.

After having owned all those 5150s, a JSX, a VHT D60, and a Mako Mak4, this amp is still my favorite. The stock speakers arent bad, but call Dave at Avatar and get a pair of Eminence Legend V12s to throw in there, and itll improve massively. Also, watch your ohms. You can run a 16 ohm cab in addition to the internal speakers. If you disconnect the speakers, you can only run an 8 ohm cab through the external jack OR a 16 ohm cab through the internal jack. Internal speakers are 8 ohms each, wired at 16.

I also loved mine so much that I got a head and a cab, and I was disappointed. The head isnt as tight as the 212. Ended up trading the head for a 6505+...and there it is. The combos lead channel is closer to the 6505+/5150II lead channel, and the crunch channel is its own thing.

I figured the boost thing was pretty universal, no matter what settings I used (amp or pedal) it just didn't sound right.

I didn't realize that about the rhythm channel with crunch on though, I'll have to test that out.

How much would you say the Eminence's run? And is speaker swapping difficult or pretty trivial?

Thanks for looking guys!

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Quick question, are these amps typically noisy or is there a ground loop somewhere? In the effects loop I have a TC Electronic Corona, ISP Decimator, and TC Electronic Nova delay. Any help is appreciated.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
There is a ground switch on the rear, left side...but yes, the 5150's are generally known for being a little noisy/hissy no matter what really.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
There is a ground switch on the rear, left side...but yes, the 5150's are generally known for being a little noisy/hissy no matter what really.

I figured so... And I didn't know that about the switch. Thanks for the reply!

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
I run my 5150 with a BBE Green Screamer as the TS and it sounds amazing. I just have to have a noise gate running at all times!

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I've heard of doing that... Might have to look into it :) I had a Bad Monkey running through it but I couldn't get them to agree with each other... It already seems to have plenty of gain :)

Oh man, this thing feels heavier than my 4x12 at my dad's house. Luckily a previous owner screwed on some casters (albeit not very well, one wheel catches on a screw :lol:)

Thanks man!

I didn't have enough space for the head and cab at my mom's house, and plus this was much cheaper :)

I figured the boost thing was pretty universal, no matter what settings I used (amp or pedal) it just didn't sound right.

I didn't realize that about the rhythm channel with crunch on though, I'll have to test that out.

How much would you say the Eminence's run? And is speaker swapping difficult or pretty trivial?

Thanks for looking guys!

5150s are notoriously noisey...just something in the way they're designed. Plus, lots of gain. Using the FX loop on the combos, Ive found, produces more noise, too...its weird, but both combos Ive owned I could NOT get to agree with anything in the loop. Good thing I never use it anyway!!

I got a pair of legends for 135 shipped from avatar. Swapping speakers is probably the easiest upgrade you can do aside from tube swapping. Itll take you more time to unscrew all the damn screws on the back of it than it will to swap the speakers out haha.

bifftannen

Reaction score
Happy new gear day mate. I owned one up until I got my Roadster. If you're looking to improve the clean, put a delay or reverb in front of it. Don't ask me why but that really improved it.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Happy new gear day mate. I owned one up until I got my Roadster. If you're looking to improve the clean, put a delay or reverb in front of it. Don't ask me why but that really improved it.

Chorus helps a lot too. Its amazing how much even just ONE of those FX will improve cleans.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Congrats! I have one of these as my current rig and its great! I also use the rhythm channel with "crunch" in and the gain up to about 8, no boost. I boosted it with a boss SD-1 occasionally, but it really doesn't need it. Enjoy and buy a furniture dolly to move it around!

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
congrats!! owned one great 212 combo

Thanks man! I'm loving this thing so far :)

5150s are notoriously noisey...just something in the way they're designed. Plus, lots of gain. Using the FX loop on the combos, Ive found, produces more noise, too...its weird, but both combos Ive owned I could NOT get to agree with anything in the loop. Good thing I never use it anyway!!

I got a pair of legends for 135 shipped from avatar. Swapping speakers is probably the easiest upgrade you can do aside from tube swapping. Itll take you more time to unscrew all the damn screws on the back of it than it will to swap the speakers out haha.

Looking around I learned that it is a fairly noisy amp with the effects loop, I just wish there was a way to turn it off/on when I'm trying to put a delay on the dirty guitar signal and don't want the noise for very long :scratch:

That's a bit where I was expecting the legends to be, so I'm in good shape. Just gotta wait 'till the next few paydays to set aside some cash :lol:

Ironically, I didn't buy this for the cleans at all, but I LOVE the clean. It's no Twin Reverb but it actually sounds pretty good to me.

Congrats! I have one of these as my current rig and its great! I also use the rhythm channel with "crunch" in and the gain up to about 8, no boost. I boosted it with a boss SD-1 occasionally, but it really doesn't need it. Enjoy and buy a furniture dolly to move it around!

Yeah, I've noticed it doesn't need that much of a boost, but I think I need a bit more sustain. So far the best configuration I've worked out (without killing the sound with noise :lol: ) is Guitar -> Bad Monkey -> ISP Decimator -> 5150.

Thanks for looking all!

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
After playing around with the ground switch, I've decided it does little :lol: can anyone help me eliminate the noise? I've heard swapping the tubes for JJ's helps... I have an ISP decimator which seems to do little in the effects loop.

')