NAD: Peavey 6505 1992 Original

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got my 6505 1992 Original this week! Disclaimer: it was sent to me by Peavey so I could check it out on the channel so that's very cool of them! I plugged it in with my favorite settings and man, it sounds so absolutely humongous! Gotta be honest, my "old" Chinese made 6505 also sounds amazing so for now it's pretty hard to say if there is a big difference but I might make a comparison video eventually.

Setting the resonance and presence to around 3 o clock is the key for me with these amps. Huge fat chunks and plenty of clarity. So I set it to those settings and boom, it's there. Now, maybe this is all in my head but the amp does have "something special" to it that's hard to describe. Could that be the improved components? Who knows...

Here's a little image of the beast:
20230608_152113.jpg

I filmed a little unboxing as I usually do with new amps. Look away if you're not interested! I do like the overall appearance of this amp, more similar to the block letter of course. One thing to note is that the plastic footswitch is a little flimsy. Full demo coming quite soon and I'll post it in this thread but here is the unboxing:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I still have a MIC 6505 and they're just badass amps. With an upgraded transformer I assume these new ones will be at least as good if not a touch better. Looking forward to your demo video.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
This made me go back and watch your old 6505 demo. It makes me remember a couple things.

First I'm reminded just how versatile that amp is (and by extension, most amps).

Second, and more importantly, I'm reminded just how much I enjoy your demos. You show so much of what a given amp is actually capable of instead of limiting your demos to expectations of "what the amp was designed for." I love how you use different styles of guitars/pickups. Easily my favorite resource for amp demos.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
This made me go back and watch your old 6505 demo. It makes me remember a couple things.

First I'm reminded just how versatile that amp is (and by extension, most amps).

Second, and more importantly, I'm reminded just how much I enjoy your demos. You show so much of what a given amp is actually capable of instead of limiting your demos to expectations of "what the amp was designed for." I love how you use different styles of guitars/pickups. Easily my favorite resource for amp demos.

Thanks man! I really appreciate it! For this video I'm going to do slightly less clips (6 styles or so but also some raw dialing in) but it should still cover enough ground. My old first 6505 is one of my most viewed videos ever, quite nuts haha!

For some reason the rhythm channel on these amps doesn't get enough love. The cleans are pretty good, especially the pushed cleans but I like the fat crunch tones a lot too, with the bright switch on. Just a really rich and fat tone.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
For some reason the rhythm channel on these amps doesn't get enough love. The cleans are pretty good, especially the pushed cleans but I like the fat crunch tones a lot too, with the bright switch on. Just a really rich and fat tone.
The clean gets talked down on because it's just too flat imo. It's not horrible and is definitely usable for rock and metal but it lacks some character. I found it a lot better with an EQ in front with scooped mids and boosted lows and especially highs. It can make it much more Fenderish if that's what I'm looking for.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
The clean gets talked down on because it's just too flat imo. It's not horrible and is definitely usable for rock and metal but it lacks some character. I found it a lot better with an EQ in front with scooped mids and boosted lows and especially highs. It can make it much more Fenderish if that's what I'm looking for.

Yeah an EQ pedal is good for that for sure. It also highly depends on the pickup(s), despite the fact that they don't matter at all..... j/k. Fishman Fluence Modern Alnico on the active voicing sounds great through it and I guess single coils too. For more beefy pickups i guess a little bit of a scoop can't hurt.

Necky379

Reaction score
These are MIC too? They look better than the previous iteration but I’d be more excited to see some Mississippi Peaveys. I’ve got an OG MIA 5150 and a MIC 6505+. They both crush, I’m sure this one does too.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
These are MIC too? They look better than the previous iteration but I’d be more excited to see some Mississippi Peaveys. I’ve got an OG MIA 5150 and a MIC 6505+. They both crush, I’m sure this one does too.
IIRC they're China as well. I think don't think Peavey's been doing anything MiA ever since the Meridian plant shut down, besides NOS parts with the HP2 series.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Yes, made in China like my last one. That one has been very reliable for years now

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like it was a bit of a missed opportunity to update the amp a bit and add some more modern feature like some MIDI functionality, direct out with IR loading and perhaps a boost or a toggle to tighten the low end without needing to add a pedal as many do with the 5150/6505 with a TS, SD-1 or similar style pedal.
Congrats on the score nonetheless. I do really like the utilitarian look of these, they look like they mean business.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Question is, are they still pretending to MiA =)

Nah they stopped that after they got busted sending that dude a MIA sticker to put over the MIC sticker that his Invective came with :lol:

Sadly their MIA days are long over, even the HP2s have moved to Czech Republic

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I feel like it was a bit of a missed opportunity to update the amp a bit and add some more modern feature like some MIDI functionality, direct out with IR loading and perhaps a boost or a toggle to tighten the low end without needing to add a pedal as many do with the 5150/6505 with a TS, SD-1 or similar style pedal.
Congrats on the score nonetheless. I do really like the utilitarian look of these, they look like they mean business.

That's basically the Invective

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
With the news of China planning to build a spy station in Cuba to surveil the US, I will not be going out of my way to purchase Chinese made products whenever humanly possible going forward.

I mean the US has spy bases all around the world. We even get caught spying on our allies pretty often. Never understood how the US can do something and it's considered great but when Russia or China do the exact same thing people declare that they are being aggressive.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I saw your unboxing video a few minutes ago and came here to see if you had a thread on it yet.

Honestly, I’m starting to tune in just for the riffs, lol. Your writing is killer! I watched a video from a few years ago (an old Mark V video, IIRC), and I think you were doing this cool riff with either sixths or minor 7ths, and the whole thing was so good I sat down and tried to learn it. That’s the first time I’ve ever done that off a gear demo. :lol:

I also appreciate that you don’t play the same few riffs in every video. There are a few guys who play the same few in each video, and I get tired of hearing the same ones for years.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
I mean the US has spy bases all around the world. We even get caught spying on our allies pretty often. Never understood how the US can do something and it's considered great but when Russia or China do the exact same thing people declare that they are being aggressive.
I don’t intend to derail this thread so this will be my last post regarding my statement

You can’t compare the US to two countries that are both communist and/or dictatorial nations and the agendas of said nations to the rest of the world.

Yes we have our own issues which give us headaches and eye rolls in the news every day but it isn’t quite the same thing.

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
I have a fun idea! Let's talk politics!

OK

I don’t intend to derail this thread so this will be my last post regarding my statement

You can’t compare the US to two countries that are both communist and/or dictatorial nations and the agendas of said nations to the rest of the world.

Yes we have our own issues which give us headaches and eye rolls in the news every day but it isn’t quite the same thing.

Well you are right that it is wrong to compare the US to China and Russia, as the US is way more aggressive and the only one in that group that likes to travel thousands of miles away from their borders to attack countries that didn't do anything to them. When was the last time China crossed an ocean to attack another country and steal their resources? The US loves to "give freedom" to a lot of countries that just happen to have natural resources or strategic locations that we want. Just ask Syria, who we have been illegally occupying for about a decade and just happen to occupy 80% of their oil fields for "protection." For all of America's talk about sending democracy and freedom, most countries we "help" end off much worse afterward because we are helping ourselves and not them; it's called neocolonialism.

BTW Russia is not a communist country anymore, that kinda ended in the 90s and they have elections so Putin is not a dictator like the west prefers to call him. China is not even fully communist and has a hybrid system. Though I would not want to live under China's government, at least their foreign policies are to help other countries build infrastructure without crushing interest rates unlike the west that mostly sends weapons (while claiming to want peace) and uses the IMF to sink countries in debt that they can never get out of to control them. Russia and China want partners but the west wants slaves, hence why Russia and China keep talking about a fairer and multi-polar world lately and we just threaten everyone.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
BTW Russia is not a communist country anymore, that kinda ended in the 90s and they have elections so Putin is not a dictator
Lolz you think THOSE elections aren’t rigged? And let’s not forget what happens to people who speak out publicly against El Presidente…they usually meet an unfortunate demise

Seriously let’s not continue this political discussion, I was just commenting about my wish not to support the Chinese economy more than necessary.

:Back to regularly scheduled programming:

')